Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Krups 964 - Steamer, broken, needing cleaning, or ...?
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Krups 964 -...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
arcady
arcady
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky
Drip: Does a French Press count?...
Roaster: iRoast II
Posted Sun Mar 6, 2005, 10:51am
Subject: Krups 964 - Steamer, broken, needing cleaning, or ...?

I've got an old Krups 964. Maybe ten years old or more.

Recently I switched to a slightly finer grind, and the backflush of the espresso machine started seeing a lot of use as it had more trouble pushing water through the grinds.

After this, I've found that the steamer releases one or two or even more cups of water before it begins to steam, and the steam contains regular bursts of water. Sometimes the steamer will not even come on, and I have to run water through the espresso end for a bit, or turn of the machine for a minute or two first.

Do I need to fix the steamer, clean it, or should the grind be larger such that the backflush does not come into play?
 View Profile Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
VJS

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Krups 964
Grinder: Solis Maestro Plus
Drip: Krups Aroma
Posted Tue Mar 15, 2005, 7:25am
Subject: Re: Krups 964 - Steamer, broken, needing cleaning, or ...?

arcady Said:

I've got an old Krups 964. Maybe ten years old or more.

Do I need to fix the steamer, clean it, or should the grind be larger such that the backflush does not come into play?

Posted March 6, 2005 link

It is true that if the grind is to fine the machine just stops and doesn't have the strength to push the water through. Try using a slightly courser grind. Try what I posted below also.

I also have a Krups 964 and like yours it is about 10 years old.  I have had it completely apart twice, once about five years ago and just last week. This time I'm replacing the main o-ring that seals the portafilter and the two o-rings in the steam nozzle swivel.

Have you ever descaled it?  Get a bottle of white vinegar and fill the water tank about 1/2 way then add water to fill to top. Turn it on and turn knob to caffe for a few seconds and then turn to vapore for a few seconds. This is to make sure the vineger is in the whole works.  Now just turn it off and leave it for a few hours.

After a few hours turn it on and run on caffe until tank is at about 1-2 inches of water left.  Then turn to vapore and run to empty.  In all these steps it is not required to get it up to temperature. Actually it's probably better to run it cold because you want to run fluid through the steam nozzle not steam to accomplish the descaling.

Rinse out the tank and then run 2 tankfulls through the caffe setting and a some through the vapore setting also to flush out the vinegar.

It may also have a clogged shower screen.  Using a right angle flat blade screwdriver undo the large screw in the center of the screen and pull it off (an old butter knife may work if you don't have a right angle screwdriver).  Mine was completely blocked with coffee powder and had only a small opening in the center.

--Vic
 View Profile Link to this post
arcady
arcady

Posted Tue Mar 15, 2005, 11:04am

By shower screen you mean the screen just before caffe right, and not something hidden along the steamer somewher?

I clean that screen regularly. I've not descaled it though. I got it a year ago from my brother when he bought a new machine and my old combined drip / espresso machine broke on the drip end. I don't know how he maintained it, only that he used it almost daily much as I do.

Nevertheless, I'll give descaling a try.

I set my grinder back a little coarser - it's not only two positions past the manufacurer's set screw limit and not four (a common mod to my grinder is to remove a screw that prevents fine grinding, something my brother tracked down here. I still have the same issue, but it works if I steam first, make espresso second.
VJS

Posted Tue Mar 15, 2005, 12:53pm

This machine can't take what is normally called espresso grind.  I have a Solis Maestro Plus grinder and on the espresso grind it completely blocks up the 964.  I found that the best setting is about 2 ticks finer than the drip grind.

The inside of the 964 is quite interesting and there's plenty of room to work on.  It was also designed for easy dissasembly and reassembly.

The shower screen is the steel screen right above the coffee.  By cleaning it regularly, do you mean you take it off the machine as I described or just wipe the exterior?

--Vic
arcady
arcady

Posted Tue Mar 15, 2005, 4:18pm

Ok, we've got the same part in mind. :P

I take it off and scrub it down every week or so. When I do so I also try to scrub the machine up above where it was mounted, and sometimes I take off the steam nozzle and srub that down as well. I haven't figured out how to get deeper into the machine yet.

The grinder I have, when set to the finest grind the manufacturer's set screw allows, leaves very clumpy grinds and take a good deal more than the so called 30 pound standard to compress down into the cup enough that I will get crema in the espresso. I used to have to put a good deal of body weight into it.

Going down below the screw gives me coffee I can drop into filter, use the tamper to just flatten it out, and get crema. When I made the first post in here I was four notches below, and the grinds were as fine as my brother's $400 grinder (Mazer Mini). Now it's just two down and still deliver's workable espresso. Both settings have the steamer issue though - were if I steam within 10 minutes (give or take) after making espresso I'll have to fill about 6 ounces of water first.

Steaming before or after though, and somewhere around 120-130 degrees F I get water jets again... That's with no espresso having been made, so its not grinder connected. The idea of running vinegar through it will hopefully clear that one out.
VJS

Posted Wed Mar 16, 2005, 7:02pm

Something's definitely wrong here.  I tried many different variations on mine and I can't get much water out of it like you say you can.  The most I can get out is if I turn it on stone cold and immediately turn it to vapore, I get about two tablespoons of water before I start getting steam.

If it's hot, like yours should be, after trying to extract from too fine of a grind, I get immediate steam.

When you turn the knob to vapore how fast do the clicks come? About 3 per second?
What do you mean by 120 to 130 F?

Try descaling, see what that does.

--Vic

arcady Said:

Ok, we've got the same part in mind. :P

I take it off and scrub it down every week or so. When I do so I also try to scrub the machine up above where it was mounted, and sometimes I take off the steam nozzle and srub that down as well. I haven't figured out how to get deeper into the machine yet.

The grinder I have, when set to the finest grind the manufacturer's set screw allows, leaves very clumpy grinds and take a good deal more than the so called 30 pound standard to compress down into the cup enough that I will get crema in the espresso. I used to have to put a good deal of body weight into it.

Going down below the screw gives me coffee I can drop into filter, use the tamper to just flatten it out, and get crema. When I made the first post in here I was four notches below, and the grinds were as fine as my brother's $400 grinder (Mazer Mini). Now it's just two down and still deliver's workable espresso. Both settings have the steamer issue though - were if I steam within 10 minutes (give or take) after making espresso I'll have to fill about 6 ounces of water first.

Steaming before or after though, and somewhere around 120-130 degrees F I get water jets again... That's with no espresso having been made, so its not grinder connected. The idea of running vinegar through it will hopefully clear that one out.

Posted March 15, 2005 link

ericbullock

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Sat Jun 25, 2005, 7:54am

VJS Said:

I also have a Krups 964 and like yours it is about 10 years old.  I have had it completely apart twice, once about five years ago and just last week. This time I'm replacing the main o-ring that seals the portafilter and the two o-rings in the steam nozzle swivel.--Vic

Posted March 15, 2005 link

I've just recentlly tried firing up my 964 and there doesn't seem to be any water moving whatsoever. I'd like to take it apart and see if I can figure out whats wrong. Is this difficult? I'm fairly hands-on with this sort fo thing, but if there are any tricks I'd appreciate some advice.

Regards,

-eric-
ChicagoSandy
ChicagoSandy

Espresso: Quickmill "La Cora,"  Silvia
Grinder: Mazzer Mini, Rocky DL
Vac Pot: Presses, Aeropress
Drip: postnasal, Technivorm
Roaster: Behmor, I-Roast2, SC/TO
Posted Sat Jun 25, 2005, 12:05pm

I second the advice to descale, but please don't use vinegar!  Its aroma lingers like you wouldn't believe.  (I know--my old Krups smelled like salad for days). Get some Starbucks Barista cleaner (rebadged Cleancaf), citric acid crystals (labeled "sour salt" in the spice section of your supermarket), or bottled (not fresh) lemon juice without any pulp--ReaLemon or Sicilia (the kind in the little plastic squeeze lemons).  Follow the same directions as the vinegar process described above.

Sandy
www.sandyandina.com
-------------------
Life's too short to drink lousy coffee, play crummy guitars and write with ballpoint pens.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
cgtempest

Drip: Cuisinart
Posted Fri Oct 21, 2011, 6:40am

Hi,
I see this is a very old thread but would be interested if VJS or someone who has dissembled a 964 is still around.  I love my old 964 and would like to know how to properly take it apart.
Thx, Bob
VJS

Posted Sat Feb 23, 2013, 5:17pm

I'm still around after an 8 year hiatus.  
I just got a Silvia and installed an Auber PID on it.

The Krups 964 still works and I may take it to the office.
The thing is like 20 years old now and still works great.

--Victor
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Krups 964 -...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.431982040405)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+