Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
duetto and very soft water
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > duetto and very...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
kboom1
kboom1
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Alex2HX,Alex Duetto,Rancilio...
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky,Vario
Roaster: Behmor x2 / USRC Sample...
Posted Fri Feb 22, 2013, 5:43pm
Subject: duetto and very soft water

purchased a duetto and a 15 litre commercial softener off cc a month ago and am finding the taste of my espresso unexeptable to my tastebuds. This is the first time using a commercial softener so I am somewhat  unschooled when it comes to the use,flavor,extraction and the likes.I have read the Insainly long water faq many times since 07 when I purchased my first hx machine. I can't seem to figure out if it's the more mellow shots my duetto produces or the softened water or both. coffee and/or steamed milk taste  bitter and dry. I have used ro and filtered tap before this purchase and decided to switch after opening up the boiler and seeing all the copper leaching happening.my tap water was 7 grains (120ppm) to begin with but have seen it as high as 26 grains in the past, and the softener takes it down to 0 grains wich is no good for espresso quality either. I mostly drink 3rd wave espressos (lighter roasted) but taste nasty out of the plumbed in duetto? I have tried several darker roast and does produce slightly better taste but nothing like I'm used to out of the older hx machines. can it be that my softener system is to big for my machines water usage? I did inspect the machines pump inlet and outlet and discovered some white residue that looked like scale but wiped right off, thinking it was sodium or soft scale from the ion exchange. has anyone had this experence with their duetto and or water softener. Here's a pic of the 15 L softener

kboom1: DSCF0055 (FILEminimizer).JPG
(Click for larger image)
 View Profile Link to this post
kboom1
kboom1

Posted Fri Feb 22, 2013, 5:47pm
Subject: Re: duetto and very soft water

here's a pic of pump outlet pipe.

kboom1: DSCF0040 (FILEminimizer).JPG
(Click for larger image)
kboom1
kboom1

Posted Fri Feb 22, 2013, 5:48pm

another pic of pipe

kboom1: DSCF0041 (FILEminimizer).JPG
(Click for larger image)
kboom1
kboom1

Posted Sat Feb 23, 2013, 8:26am

bump.
CoffeeRon
CoffeeRon
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Wega Lyra, Europiccola(still...
Grinder: Macap M7D, Pharos, Vario W,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam CoffeeMaster
Drip: Melita BCM-4
Roaster: FR SR500,B-1600, SC/TO
Posted Sat Feb 23, 2013, 9:59am

Just a thought but I know some water filters require a few gallons of water to be run through them to rinse out manufacture residue. If you haven't done that you might want to try it.
kboom1
kboom1

Posted Sat Feb 23, 2013, 11:20am

already done before it was hooked to machine. I did see one old post think by marshall over on hb that seen a simular issue inside a boiler, but after flushing tasted fine. alot of people have moved on to just using filtered tap and descaling more often. not sure if this will work as well with the db's though.using the descaling chart on the big rick's water faq page I would be descaling evry other month and have to test evry other week or so. I wasnt sure if the size of the resin tank and amount of resin is making the  difference in taste and shot performance or if it's the machine it's self. I did try running a litere of descaler(citric acid) thru the boilers to clear any resadue that might be in the boilers and tried some mixed ro for a day,but didnt help taste or shot. It did however make my steam work better. went from dropping to .05 bar steaming 10oz. to just under 1 bar running on 15amp.
DavecUK

Posted Sat Feb 23, 2013, 11:37am

Try this, it's what I have done for years and it tastes fine.

http://coffeetime.wikidot.com/ro-water-copper-corrosion

Of course when you soften water you get sodium replacing calcium, but if the water is pretty hard to begin with, usually the only reason for softening, the amount of Sodum Carbonate remaining in the water is pretty high (plus you have all the other crap still in the water). Also, the water is soft, but many components that cause gums and residues still remain, it just doesn't scale.

Using RO and then carefully adding back about 50-70 ppm hardness deals with the taste and copper leaching problems.
kboom1
kboom1

Posted Sat Feb 23, 2013, 12:39pm

thanks dave. I was hard water mixing before the db was added to the mix and liked the shots it produced with the hx machines. I pulled out the heating element on one of my hx machines and noticed quite a bit of copper corosion so thats why I switched.I think the total alk was varied at times between 6.2 to 6.4 and mixing until it was between 7.2 to 7.5grain. but not too sure how acidic or ph after being heated under pressure. even tried the soda bicarb trick right before I switched 1/2 tsp in 5 gal ro,added bicarb until 7.5 ph was reached,not sure what tds were as I had no meter yet.(1st batch ran thru duetto with this water made horrable tasting shots.)not sure about the calcite filters,I dont think the ammount released from these can be controlled by user. I just made my wife a latte with the duetto, after flushing the steam wand a sec a drop of water from the wand landed in the milk before I turned steam back on, you could see the milk kind of seperate a little.(looked like oil does floating on water) is this because of the ion exchanged water since milk has calcium in it? The milk taste a little bitter instead of sweet and dry instead of creamy after being steamed. does anyone else that uses softened water experence this effect?
germantownrob
germantownrob

Espresso: Duetto 3, A Dead Oscar
Grinder: Vario-W, Preciso w/Esatto,...
Drip: Brazen
Roaster: Diedrich IR-1, HT B
Posted Mon Feb 25, 2013, 2:44pm

This is got me wondering if I really want to add the softening system to my plumb in. I am running at 6 GPG, with my HX I descaled every 6 months and that kept it clean. I was under the impression  it would be easier to add the softening system then it would be to descale the Duetto every 6 months but I am happy with my water after a carbon filter. I have never enjoyed soft water for drinking or bathing for that matter, so does sodium softened water really make it 0 hardness and slimy feeling?
kboom1
kboom1

Posted Mon Feb 25, 2013, 4:03pm

not slimy but you do get that sweeter soft water taste. I did finally get a few decent shots this morning with a lighter roast espresso and the dry milk taste has faded some but I can tell the difference between using the 2 different kinds of water.The soft water are making shots sweeter and mega crema,versus good crema and get more bitters when it's in the taste profile. running at 6 you'll run at 0 for a while. seems that the bigger softening tank does matter some, I find if I flush or draw out a gallon of water from a tap I put in before my machine before turning on my machine, shots and milk taste closer to what I'm used to with the ro and filtered tap. still reads 0,grain though. when I purchased the big softener tank I wasnt thinking about when my machine was off or idle and the stale water involved. after I had the pump problem and seen the resadue I found, I did run some descaler thru both boilers not a full descale let it sit 1/2hr while on deposits were gone. I was also told by a water pro in the area the only 2 ways to control my water not going to 0 grains was to use potassium instead of sodium when I recharge( aparently takes slightly longer for the ion exchange to happen thus slowing the process some.or to get a aditional calcite filter which seems would defeat the purpose of the softener in the first place. I'm sure as the seasons change the hardness will go up in the water so I dont like the idea of the calcite filter but I'm going to try the recharge with potassium instead of sodium. the reasoning behind the 15L tank was I wouldnt need to recharge for 4 or 5 years.2200 gal or so
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > duetto and very...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.433897018433)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+