Espresso: Espresso Machines
Are thermoblocks ready for prime time?
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Are thermoblocks...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 4 of 5 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
myallawala
myallawala
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Mazzer Major & Baratza Vario
Vac Pot: Yama Burner
Drip: Hario V60 & Chemex
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Sat Feb 23, 2013, 1:08pm
Subject: Re: Are thermoblocks ready for prime time?

D4F Said:

You might find a bit of interesting reading by searching "billc" under author in CG search.  It hits most of the CC1 threads.

Posted February 23, 2013 link

^I agree with doing this.

My gripes about the machine:

-PITA location for the water tank. Even though it's 60-70oz. I find myself refilling it every other day, give or take a day. Purging/priming the wand, scrubbing the shower screen, pre-warming use a LOT of water.
-Steam arm is great but the little black rubber is a joke. I can't ask for much more at this price but I'm a big time steamer and I wish it were a non burn wand or it had a better grip.
-The Solenoid is pretty intrusive. I know it's location was to make everything work together but I still think the solenoid and reservoir could have been done differently and better.
-The stock portafilters are so-so. They're comfortable but they're hideous in my opinion. It's also a nonstandard threading so you could just switch the handles. The other compatible portafilters are far and few. I was given a portafilter with the same wing location but different thickness and it didn't fit. The 3/8" threading or whatever is standard so I was able to replace the spouts. The stock spouts are a joke. When you use it to warm up cups it sprays so far it actually gets on the counters. The new spouts (like that on a rocket) works so much better. I also have the bottomless which I find myself using just as often.
-The steam knob can get slippery if it gets wet. I am a bit limited on space and so when I purge, if the knob gets wet it becomes difficult to grasp. It's also kinda cheap feeling.
-The reservoir color can sometimes be difficult to see and tell the water level.

Would I buy the machine again? YES!

Pros:
-PID
-Good steam
-Consistent
-Small
-Lots of top rack cup space
-Multiple program settings
-Support

To answer the original question, I think thermoblocks as far as this machine is concerned is definitely ready for prime time.
 View Profile Link to this post
fredk01

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Saeco Aroma
Grinder: OE Pharos
Posted Sat Feb 23, 2013, 1:12pm

D4F Said:

You might find a bit of interesting reading by searching "billc" under author in CG search.  It hits most of the CC1 threads.

{pedant} I've already done that.  Several times. {x} :-)
fredk01

Posted Sat Feb 23, 2013, 1:40pm

myallawala Said:

Purging/priming the wand, scrubbing the shower screen, pre-warming use a LOT of water.

Is the design of this machine different than others so that it requires the use of so much water outside brewing?

I've seen complaints about the water tank location.  From the SCG videos it looks a little fiddly to pull out, but not impossible.

I did not know the portafilter was non standard, but there is a naked pf available, so that's good.

myallawala Said:

To answer the original question, I think thermoblocks as far as this machine is concerned is definitely ready for prime time.

So you are an active user of the thermoblock and it has performed to expectation.  The few other owners I've seen reviews from seem to agree.

I've only seen one post where someone had an issue with the thermoblock.  It was just after purchase (so a manufacturing defect) and was taken care of promptly.  At two years in the market, if there were serious design issues, they should have come out by now.

Seems like the only unanswered question is long term durability of the machine and that can only be answered over a longer term (go figure).
DeanOK
DeanOK
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: QM Vetrano 2B
Grinder: Vario W
Posted Sat Feb 23, 2013, 2:27pm

The CC1 makes excellent foamed milk if your into that.

I have never used a commercial prosumer machine, but my feeling is that the CC1 is a bit slow at steaming milk... this doesn't mean it doesn't do a great job, just seems to take a while. My ASSUMPTION is that the machines that have a dedicated boiler probably steam faster than the CC1. This may be an issue if you steam a lot of milk and your want to consider the time involved. Maybe someone that has first hand knowledge can comment on this.

The plastic grab on the CC1 steam wand has not been an issue for me, but you do have to pay attention when you reach for the steam wand.... it smarts when you grab the metal instead of the plastic grab.

As for the water reservoir, I hated it at first... but after a while you learn the trick to get it out and back in with minimum effort, even in a tight space. I do find it hard to see the water level though. I may try to find a way to add an LED light to shine into the tank when the warranty expires. I think this would be helpful because with the tank tucked in the back, you really cant see the water level very well particularly when sitting on a standard height kitchen cabinet and looking down on the machine.

If Bill makes sure you can buy parts and makes sure there is service after the purchase, I will be happy with the machine.

I have had a heck of a time getting consistent pulls. I have even bought a calibrated tamper and done everything I know to do to try and create repeatable results with little success. I don't think the machine is the reason, but sometimes I wish I had a pressure gauge just to be sure.

I have never had an issue with minerals so far. I have descaled once (couldn't tell any difference). I use municipal water that I run through double carbon and sediment filters. Supposed to remove 99% of chlorine and chemicals... but not sure that would have much affect on minerals.
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Sat Feb 23, 2013, 5:19pm

Did you read the review linked in my post?  It's the prime reason I bought it in 2007, and it's been in daily use with no problems -- just routine maintenance.  I'm a fan . . .

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
Iluvdabean
Iluvdabean
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra/Gaggia...
Grinder: Baratza Preciso/K-A Pro...
Drip: Bonavita BV 1800 TH
Roaster: Nesco 1010/Behmor 1600
Posted Sat Feb 23, 2013, 9:52pm

Interesting.

http://zpmespresso.myshopify.com/

http://www.facebook.com/zpmespresso
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Link to this post
AlexKilpatrick

Espresso: Breville Dual Boiler
Grinder: Bairtiza Vario
Posted Sat Feb 23, 2013, 10:23pm

Iluvdabean Said:

Interesting.

Oh man, that looks freaking awesome.  An espresso machine with an SD card slot?  Sign me up!
Iluvdabean
Iluvdabean
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra/Gaggia...
Grinder: Baratza Preciso/K-A Pro...
Drip: Bonavita BV 1800 TH
Roaster: Nesco 1010/Behmor 1600
Posted Sat Feb 23, 2013, 11:27pm

Note the exact word I used was, interesting which conotes neither approval or disapproval. I only wanted to bring it to peoples awareness,
These people may be faced with the exact same issues Breville is in the BDB and that is build quality and sustained operation  in terms of reliability.
Although I think it stands a better chance than the BDB because some thinking went into it.

AlexKilpatrick Said:

Oh man, that looks freaking awesome.  An espresso machine with an SD card slot?  Sign me up!

View Profile Contact via ICQ Link to this post
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Sun Feb 24, 2013, 5:43am

Iluvdabean Said:

Yes, this was first brought up a year ago or so . . .

JasonBrandtLewis: icon_rolleyes.gif

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
fredk01

Posted Sun Feb 24, 2013, 10:04am

DeanOK Said:

I have had a heck of a time getting consistent pulls. I have even bought a calibrated tamper and done everything I know to do to try and create repeatable results with little success. I don't think the machine is the reason, but sometimes I wish I had a pressure gauge just to be sure.

This is exactly what has moved me to consider this machine.  Pulling good shots is not easy.  I picked up a second hand Saeco Aroma, struggled to pull descent shots and realized that there was a large temperature variance within the shot that I was working against from the get go.  I want to start one step ahead not one step behind in learning to make good, then great espresso.

This machine is designed by a man with pretty good credentials.  It appears to steam quite well.  If offers excellent temperature stability: 10,000 Shots.  It moves from dose to steam quite quickly.  It does all this at a breakthrough price.  It seems to have held up well so far.

Long term durability appears to be the only unknown.
showing page 4 of 5 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Are thermoblocks...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.527806043625)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+