Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Crossland CC1: Too much water when brewing...
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Crossland CC1:...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
MishaInAz

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Fri Feb 22, 2013, 12:03pm
Subject: Crossland CC1: Too much water when brewing...

Hello,

You probably guessed that I am a newbie!  You are correct! :P  I have just purchased the Crossland CC1 and made my first espresso, but it was watery.  I put finely ground coffee into the filter, I selected 1 cup for the size, I put a large cup under the output, I told the machine to make the espresso.  It completed the process in 26 seconds and made 9.5 oz of coffee.  I assumed that a 1 cup espresso setting would generate about 1 oz of coffee, so I was very surprised.  I repeated the process, but for 2 cups of espresso, and had the same results... 9.5 oz output in 26 seconds.  So...  Assuming that 1 cup should be 1 oz, how to I adjust the output volume of the machine?  Adjust to total brewing time?  It seems to be the only variable that might do it, but I am not sure.  I would really appreciate your help!

Thanks,

Mike
 View Profile Link to this post
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Fri Feb 22, 2013, 12:08pm
Subject: Re: Crossland CC1: Too much water when brewing...

What grinder and how old are you beans from roast date?

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
CMIN

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Fri Feb 22, 2013, 12:37pm

On the CC1 1" cup" doesn't mean 1oz or a cup etc, it's just a setting. You have 1 cup, 2 cup, then pod... each one is just a setting that you can just use manually (stopping the shot whenever you want), or pre program each one for a different pre-infusion, dwell time etc. If you got 9.5oz of coffee in 26 seconds, your not using the right grind by far, or fresh beans. What grinder do you have? If you buying store bought beans w/o a roast date, their stale, easily 6-12 months old stale. Need fresh roasted beans and an espresso capable grinder.

I usually pull 25-30 second extractions on my CC1 timed from "1st drip", have preinfusion set to 2 and wait time to 2. Usually between 1.5-2oz, I try to aim closer to 2 oz.
MishaInAz

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Fri Feb 22, 2013, 12:57pm

Hi Coffeenoobie & CMIN,

Thank you for your quick responses!  So, it seems that there are no adjustments to be made to my CC1, just in my process! :P  The beans that I have are 3-weeks old, but I am using my old Braun burr grinder.  It worked with my former Kraup espresso machine, but, based on your feedback, must be terribly inadequate for my new CC1.  I suspect that it is the problem...  I will do some research and get a good quality grinder.  

Thank you, CMIN, for the clarification as to what 1 cup meant.  I assumed that they had dialed in some approximate settings for properly making 1 cup of espresso.  When I looked at the settings, I see that they are empty except for temperature and brew time.  I set the preinfusion to 2 and wait to 2.  I will see what happens with the new grinder.

Thanks for the help and have a great evening/day!

Mike
CMIN

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Fri Feb 22, 2013, 1:03pm

MishaInAz Said:

Hi Coffeenoobie & CMIN,

Thank you for your quick responses!  So, it seems that there are no adjustments to be made to my CC1, just in my process! :P  The beans that I have are 3-weeks old, but I am using my old Braun burr grinder.  It worked with my former Kraup espresso machine, but, based on your feedback, must be terribly inadequate for my new CC1.  I suspect that it is the problem...  I will do some research and get a good quality grinder.  

Thank you, CMIN, for the clarification as to what 1 cup meant.  I assumed that they had dialed in some approximate settings for properly making 1 cup of espresso.  When I looked at the settings, I see that they are empty except for temperature and brew time.  I set the preinfusion to 2 and wait to 2.  I will see what happens with the new grinder.

Thanks for the help and have a great evening/day!

Mike

Posted February 22, 2013 link

Yeh that Braun grinder is a pos (no offense lol), all those cheap ones just "mash" the beans, and only work for the low end machines with pressurized portafilters (like the Krups), which is basically fake espresso and crema as you can have coarse grinds but it's forcing the extraction through a tiny pin hole in the portafilter, and that grinder use on a machine like the CC1 will give you fast gushing shots like you saw. With quality machines you have real portafilters to which you need a capable grinder, at a minimum the Preciso which runs around $300 or so. Depends on what you want to spend.
DeanOK
DeanOK

Espresso: QM Vetrano 2B
Grinder: Vario W
Posted Fri Feb 22, 2013, 4:48pm

I have a CC1. If you are using a 30 lb tamp and not even getting close, you need a new grinder.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Crossland CC1:...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.361742973328)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+