Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
2k budget ideas and Quick Mill Anita vs Andreja Premium
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > 2k budget ideas...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 5 of 5 first page previous page
Author Messages
Jmanespresso
Jmanespresso
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Alex Duetto II
Grinder: Compak K10 - Vario
Vac Pot: Yama-SY5/SY8/TCA5
Drip: V60, Beehouse, CCD
Roaster: Hottop B
Posted Thu Feb 28, 2013, 1:20am
Subject: Re: 2k budget ideas and Quick Mill Anita vs Andreja Premium

CoffeeRon Said:

Hi Jman,
Thank you for your more detailed and experienced answer to Dapumas question. Would you say, from your experience, that I should do more of a cooling flush than I have been (from the above post)? I've wished many times that I could throw an Erics thermometer on my grouphead- a downfall of a covered machine :(  I know I could piece together an external thermometer but haven't taken the time as yet to do so- maybe someday. So would you say my 5 to 10 seconds is getting me down in the range or should I be doing more? Your opinion would be much appreciated, Ron

Posted February 25, 2013 link

Wega Lyra the machine in question?

Im not really sure about that machine(JonR10 can be of big help here, he owned for a while), but I think its got a bigger HX than most E61 boxes.  Along with an E61 group, your flushes after an idle period could be on the longer side, but the recovery might be quicker as well, meaning your flushes might always be on the longer side(If its fully recovering and starting to overheat before you pull another shot, you're going to have another long flush t do)

If you don't have a grouphead therm, use the flash boiling as your reference point.  When you start to flush and its hissing and spitting boiling water everywhere, start your count as soon as that stops and its a calm stream of water.  If you flush RIGHT to that point, lock in and pull the shot with 10 second or so, that should be your hot end.  You can then alter both how much you flush, and how long you wait to pull after flushing, to get hotter or colder shots.  I would try flushing for as long as a "ten count" past the flash boiling calming down, and then use rebound times up to as long as 30 seconds.  You can use a combination of both flush length and rebound time to alter your shot temp.

For the sake of finding out, do the shortest flush.. stop right when the water stream calms down, and then wait 30 seconds.  I would expect that the shot will be ruined by too hot a temp..  The Lyra might even be almost fully recovered.

Worst case scneario from changing your current flush technique, is you pull a couple stinkers.  But it will valuable in the long run because you will know how to pull shots at different temps.

-Any owner of an HX machine should be able to comfortably pull shots at "Hot" "Medium" and "Cool" shot temps.  Call "Hot 202" and Cool "198" for arguments sake.  

Also, so you know, Eric S, maker of the grouphead therm, also makes a thermocouple grouphead adaptor..  Same idea as the grouphead therm, but instead of a big therm needing to have clearance, just a thermocouple wire needs to go into that hole in the group.  You should have no problem installing that on the Lyra assuming that the bolt is still there on the grouphead.  You'll need to open the front of the machine to install it, and you'll need a seperate thermometer to read the temps, but once installed it will look very clean and tidy, and the insight it provides is worth its weight in gold.  Shoot him an email, or a PM on HB and ask him about buying one for your machine.  Definitely reccomended.

Follow Your Bliss

Coffee makes your constantly overcome your prejudices and re-evaluate your own "received wisdoms" when it comes to judging cup flavors. -Tom Owen, SweetMarias
 View Profile Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
coffeestig

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Quick Mill QM67
Grinder: Mazzer Mini Electronic...
Drip: French Press
Posted Thu Feb 28, 2013, 6:12am

cuznvin Said:

I really like Clive's

Posted February 26, 2013 link

ChrisCoffee is the importer and distributor.  They too will put together bundles.
 View Profile Link to this post
Dapuma

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Thu Feb 28, 2013, 6:11pm

Was meeting with a client today and they wanted coffee so there was a starbucks so we walked over there, and I thought, oh I will have an espresso, it was a starbucks inside of a grocery store...which was akin to going to a dive bar and asking for a Manhatten or Last Word and expecting it to turn out well

Needless to say, my EC-155 and spice grinder churn out better espresso heh

...next time cut it with milk lesson learned :)
CoffeeRon
CoffeeRon

Espresso: Wega Lyra, Europiccola(still...
Grinder: Macap M7D, Pharos, Vario W,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam CoffeeMaster
Drip: Melita BCM-4
Roaster: FR SR500,B-1600, SC/TO
Posted Fri Mar 1, 2013, 10:27pm

Jman- Thanks a bunch for the tips. I make a good capp but I've been wanting for some time to get my straight shots dialed in. I'll give your suggestions a try- and hopefully get in touch with Eric sometime soon about the parts for a grouphead thermometer.
 Think I'll order some intelligentsia- it has been a while since I've ordered out :)
                                                           Ron
TimEggers
TimEggers

Espresso: QM Anita, Cappuccino Amore
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Mazzer SJ
Vac Pot: Antique McKee, Santos
Drip: Pour Over, Bodum Presses
Roaster: RK Drum
Posted Sat Mar 2, 2013, 10:49am

I rock the Anita and Vario everyday, its a very solid set-up and I love it.

Cleaning it is also very easy, the trick is once a week or so, Windex and paper towels on a cold machine.  No muss no fuss.

Take into account maintenance too, the Anita is very easy to work on built from common parts widely available.  Chris Coffee is also a fantastic vendor to work with for the support after sale, I love those guys.

To each their own, but I love the Anita and Vario.

Tim Eggers
http://www.facebook.com/TimEggers
http://twitter.com/Tim_Eggers
http://www.youtube.com/user/TimEggers
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Dapuma

Posted Sat Mar 2, 2013, 12:57pm

At Clive's Coffee it comes with a begginer Barista kit (which I will need, I am going to sell my EC-155, tamper, and frother cup to my friend) it comes with a tamper, will the one it comes with work ok with the QM67?  Is there any need to get anything different there

From reading some threads it does not seem that the tamper makes too much of a difference
Dapuma

Posted Mon Mar 4, 2013, 11:17pm

I called CCS and they were willing to put together a bundle package for me, and they also said that it is ok to use a Stage 3 RO system in the unit, as there will still be enough mineral content in the unit

It is around 40 parts per million with the filtration I have right now (so that is great news)

So my question is this:  What Tampers will fit the QM 67?

What other accessories should I be buying with my initial order, including items to clean it with?  I am selling all my old stuff to my friend (EC 155 tamper foaming pitcher) so he is taking the first step down the road i have gone down already :)

Also from reading online, it appears that the Inker cups are favored over the Cafelat cups?  Is that correct?

Is the Espro tamper worth the price?  I like the look of the Cafelat Royal Wood tamper, however if the Espro takes the guesswork out of tamping, why wouldnt everyone use it?
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Tue Mar 5, 2013, 11:13am

Because tamping is the least important part of the job.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Dapuma

Posted Thu Mar 7, 2013, 5:47pm

RO water and the QM67 - Mary at CCS said the machine would work fine with a stage 3 system, on another thread someone else still had concerns.

Anyone else have any other ideas comments on this, the parts per million in the water are at 40 when the plumber tested them
sn_85

Espresso: Quick Mill Andreja Premium
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Posted Fri Mar 8, 2013, 6:09am

Dapuma Said:

I called CCS and they were willing to put together a bundle package for me, and they also said that it is ok to use a Stage 3 RO system in the unit, as there will still be enough mineral content in the unit

It is around 40 parts per million with the filtration I have right now (so that is great news)

So my question is this:  What Tampers will fit the QM 67?

What other accessories should I be buying with my initial order, including items to clean it with?  I am selling all my old stuff to my friend (EC 155 tamper foaming pitcher) so he is taking the first step down the road i have gone down already :)

Also from reading online, it appears that the Inker cups are favored over the Cafelat cups?  Is that correct?

Is the Espro tamper worth the price?  I like the look of the Cafelat Royal Wood tamper, however if the Espro takes the guesswork out of tamping, why wouldnt everyone use it?

Posted March 4, 2013 link

Cups are a personal choice.  People like Inker because they're good quality cups with nice heft to them.  Also they're not made in China.  But does it really matter?  No.  Just get cups that you like.  I have the Inker Carla cups because I like the shape of them.  

I have a Cafelat Drop tamper and it works fine for me.  Tampers, like cups, are a personal choice.  Some people like spending $80-$100 on a Reg Barber tamper.  Does that mean it tamps any better than a $30-$40 tamper?  Not really.  Unless you have problems tamping I probably would just get the Cafelat one instead of splurging on the Espro Tamper.  A lot of things involved in espresso are just personal choices, it's up to you and your technique more-so than it is the equipment most of the time.  I bought a Motta Europa frothing pitcher for $40 but that doesn't mean I'm getting better microfoam than an expert using a $12 pitcher.  

Remember to get some Cafiza, Grindz, a cleaning tool, shot glass(es) and some towels.
showing page 5 of 5 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > 2k budget ideas...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.47519493103)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+