Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Semi Automatic Machine
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Semi Automatic...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
rootsandradicals

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Thu Feb 21, 2013, 12:18pm
Subject: Semi Automatic Machine

I was going to buy a Breville BES860XL yesterday at a steal of a deal at $449 at a department store based on reviews from amazon(which gave the model 4.5 stars on over 200 reviews), but they did not have anymore in stock I have to wait a day.  Then I start reading all these negative reviews of this machine from a few years back on this forum. It is a cluster in here but mainly I want to know if your if the overall opinion is still that this machine is garbage?

I have lived with a Starbucks Barista machine for the past 6 years that I bought for only $99 when they were getting rid of all the machines. I have only good things to say about this machine, I had to replace a few bolts and the port-filter a couple years back but other than that it has been a tank until recently the machine has become less than reliable, so I thought I would upgrade while I have a little extra cash.  

Any other thoughts for machines in the lower $500 range and grinder that will give good results without breaking the bank.

A little insight on usage.  My wife and I typically make 3 double espressos each a day with frothed milk so we get pretty good use out of our machine.

Thanks for any help

Josh
 View Profile Link to this post
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Thu Feb 21, 2013, 1:17pm
Subject: Re: Semi Automatic Machine

I don't like the idea of the beans sitting above the hot boiler... Also the grinder affects the flavor more than the machine and combo machine rarely have a top quality grinder.

You can get a better shot out of your starbucks machine with a top notch grinder than you can with a 3k machine and bad grinder.  It is hard to believe but it is true.

So, I suggest start with a grinder for your 500 now and then later get a good machine.  I like my Vario w because it weights the grinds for me. Refurbished day is Thursday at Baratza. It is on par with super jollys that can often be found used for about $350 but are too large for many people's kitchen.  Also plan on replacing burrs on any used commercial grinder. (add $50 to the price in your mind)

You got a bargain for a new starbucks for 99$.  You got your money's worth out it.  You are not going to give up making espresso after 6 years so I think you should save more and get a great machine that will last you a long time.  Don't get a machine that you will want to upgrade right away or will not last.  Put a tip jar out and tip yourself with pocket change to pay for the machine.  3 shots x $2 X 365 days =$2190 toward a machine

I suggest that my NS Oscar used is good bang for the buck because he is not all shiny.  They can be often found used for 500 or less and they are easy to work on and steam dragons.  Some are sold with pod kits so add another 70 on to get the grinds kit if you find one of those.  There is also a plumbed in version.  There is also a way to hack a pour over for plumbed in but I have not found a good walk through yet.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vintage La Pavoni Lever...
Grinder: Breville Smartgrind,...
Vac Pot: Vintage Silex, Nicro...
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: javaPRO-CRC AIR Fluid Bed...
Posted Thu Feb 21, 2013, 2:03pm
Subject: Re: Semi Automatic Machine

rootsandradicals Said:

I was going to buy a Breville BES860XL yesterday at a steal of a deal at $449 at a department store based on reviews from amazon(which gave the model 4.5 stars on over 200 reviews), but they did not have anymore in stock I have to wait a day.  Then I start reading all these negative reviews of this machine from a few years back on this forum. It is a cluster in here but mainly I want to know if your if the overall opinion is still that this machine is garbage?

I have lived with a Starbucks Barista machine for the past 6 years that I bought for only $99 when they were getting rid of all the machines. I have only good things to say about this machine, I had to replace a few bolts and the port-filter a couple years back but other than that it has been a tank until recently the machine has become less than reliable, so I thought I would upgrade while I have a little extra cash.  

Any other thoughts for machines in the lower $500 range and grinder that will give good results without breaking the bank.

A little insight on usage.  My wife and I typically make 3 double espressos each a day with frothed milk so we get pretty good use out of our machine.

Thanks for any help

Josh

Posted February 21, 2013 link

I saw one in person at Williams Sonoma.  The grinder didn't turn me off so much as the plastic portafilter locking in thing (don't know the formal name for it).  That was crap.  I'd stay away from it just because of that.

Len

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

Bitcoin Merchant www.CoffeeRoastersClub.com     www.javaPRO-CRC.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Semi Automatic...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.352021932602)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+