Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Which Synesso?
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Which Synesso?  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
crimson_flames

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Wed Feb 20, 2013, 11:39pm
Subject: Which Synesso?

Hi Guys,

New to the forum and need some help.

I'm in the process of starting up a new cafe and looking to buy an expresso machine.

Leading towards the Synesso and need some opinions on which model to get?

Thanks in advance!
 View Profile Link to this post
Markarian
Markarian
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: ECM Technika IV Profi WT-WC
Grinder: Baratza Forte AP, HG One
Vac Pot: Bunn Trifecta MB
Drip: Moka, Aeropress, Hario V60
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Thu Feb 21, 2013, 12:42am
Subject: Re: Which Synesso?

G'day, CF.

I should very gently point out it's "espresso," and not "expresso." I correct you only because, as a cafe owner, you're going to want to make sure people know you're as serious about coffee as we know you are, seeing as you're looking into a Synesso ;-)

Welcome to CoffeeGeek, by the way. You'll find some extremely knowledgable, passionate baristi on here, so you've come to the right place.
TheSunInsideYou
TheSunInsideYou
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Breville BES900XL
Grinder: Laranzato HC-600, OE LIDO,...
Vac Pot: Yama 3
Drip: Hario V60, Chemex
Posted Thu Feb 21, 2013, 2:50am

crimson_flames Said:

Hi Guys,

New to the forum and need some help.

I'm in the process of starting up a new cafe and looking to buy an expresso machine.

Leading towards the Synesso and need some opinions on which model to get?

Thanks in advance!

Posted February 20, 2013 link

You asked which model to get, but didn't give us any hints as to what you would be wanting from the machine. If the question is, "which is the best?", then go with the Hydra. But you're wasting money if you aren't going to be using the extra features, as the Cyncra is an excellent machine, which I actually prefer most days. All of the Synesso products are quality, you just have to find a balance between price and features.

-Dave-
SStones
SStones
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Giga 5, ECM Giotto, Rocket...
Grinder: Anfim Milano-Best
Vac Pot: No  :(
Drip: Some $30 thing from Walmart
Roaster: I buy pre-roasted.
Posted Thu Feb 21, 2013, 6:12am

Buy a used one.  You'll be able to get more of your investment back when it is time to sell your esprexxo machine if you paid a used price for it.  Then, when you move on and open your next venture, be it a hamberger place or a stake house, I again suggest buying used equipment at start-up.
All kidding aside, The Synesso line is several high-quality machines representing different levels of functions and features to meet the barista's and the business' needs.  Discuss your business expectations with the salespeople you plan to purchase from. Building a good relationship with the people who are going to help you find technical service for your machine is a great start. If they know they're helping you make the right decision, they'll be great with you proving it was a good buy.
crimson_flames

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Thu Feb 21, 2013, 6:51am

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the reply.

Sorry if my question is vague, but I guess what I want to know, is the hydra worth the extra money over the cyncra and sabre? having independent pumps does it mean that its 3 separate systems (so if 1 pump fails it doesn't effect the overall system)?

And what are your thought on the volumetric group heads vs the manual?

Also in regards to buying a used one, can anyone point me in the right direction as to where to start looking? i'm in Melbourne, Australia btw. I've been searching online but can't seem to find any used ones for sale.

once again many thanks in advance and sorry to bombard you guys with so many questions.
takeshi
takeshi

Espresso: Alex Duetto 3.0
Grinder: Super Jolly
Roaster: Amaya Roasting
Posted Thu Feb 21, 2013, 12:40pm

crimson_flames Said:

Posted February 20, 2013 link

If you're shopping for a machine for business use then you need to find a machine than can be serviced locally as you're counting on it for income.  Start with finding a good service shop and then use them as criteria for selecting the machine.
TheSunInsideYou
TheSunInsideYou

Espresso: Breville BES900XL
Grinder: Laranzato HC-600, OE LIDO,...
Vac Pot: Yama 3
Drip: Hario V60, Chemex
Posted Thu Feb 21, 2013, 5:40pm

crimson_flames Said:

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the reply.

Sorry if my question is vague, but I guess what I want to know, is the hydra worth the extra money over the cyncra and sabre? having independent pumps does it mean that its 3 separate systems (so if 1 pump fails it doesn't effect the overall system)?

And what are your thought on the volumetric group heads vs the manual?

Also in regards to buying a used one, can anyone point me in the right direction as to where to start looking? i'm in Melbourne, Australia btw. I've been searching online but can't seem to find any used ones for sale.

once again many thanks in advance and sorry to bombard you guys with so many questions.

Posted February 21, 2013 link

The Hydra is more than just independent pumps in a Cyncra; it's a fully "better" machine. The computer is better, the build is better, they tweaked things to improve from the previous machines. The programmable pressure profiling is an awesome thing to fool around with, but unless you understand it and can utilize it, it's a waste of money. Like I said, most days I prefer the Cyncra. This is just personal preference, though. The Cyncra feels more rugged to me, while the Hydra has a high-tech aura to it. When I want to geek out and see what I can pull out of a SO espresso, I go with the Hydra, but when I'm just pounding out a line of drinks, the Cyncra just feels like an extension of my body. It's a workhorse.

Again, 90% of this is personal preference, but objectively, the Hydra is a better machine. But those improvements will only matter if you take advantage of them. Is it worth the money? Only if you're going to use the extra features. If you don't plan on spending time messing with pressure profiling and wanting control over the most minute of things, then go with one of the cheaper models. You're not going to be missing out.

When it comes to volumetric vs semi-auto, I always vote semi. Volumetric is WAY too difficult to make consistent over the course of the day. It's a time saver, and it's easier, but unless you have it perfect (dose, grind, distribution, tamp, exact same coffee), it will be off. You should want to keep an eye on your shots to make sure that every one is coming out well. Starting and stopping every shot keeps you accountable in the best of ways.

-Dave-
russel
russel
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Conti Princess 2grp, GS/3...
Grinder: Super Caimanos x2, Forte BG,...
Drip: V60, Kalita Wave, Clever,...
Posted Fri Feb 22, 2013, 11:15pm

You need to go over to barista-exchange and ask your question there.  There is a lot of common sense knowledge to be gained here, but you have a better chance of getting a useful amount of first hand decision making input there.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Which Synesso?  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Craft Roasted Coffee
Some days you make the coffee. Other days the coffee makes you.
bit.ly/craftroasting-ks
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.414745092392)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+