Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Dialing In - One coffee at a time?
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Dialing In - One...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
Markarian
Markarian
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: ECM Technika IV Profi WT-WC
Grinder: Baratza Forte AP, HG One
Vac Pot: Bunn Trifecta MB
Drip: Moka, Aeropress, Hario V60
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Wed Feb 20, 2013, 1:25pm
Subject: Dialing In - One coffee at a time?

So I may have discovered a rather boneheaded flaw in my routine that may have caused me hours of headache and pounds of wasted beans. In reading all the posts on here and seeing clues like "separate grinder for decaf," I came to the conclusion that most of you will use one type of coffee at a time, use it up, then dial in for the next bag, and so on. Because I love variety, I'm switching between single-origin light roasts to medium roast blends in the same session, wondering why I can't get any consistency, even though I'm trying to redail for each roast. So I think I may have found my problem in not getting one type, dialing in, and sticking with it. Is this accurate?

Also, I've noticed that my first shot of the morning always seems to choke the machine on a grind setting that was fine the evening before (this is especially true for Tanzanian Peaberry, which is my favorite). Is this normal and how should I compensate for this? Sometimes, I need to re-learn the basics to get back on track.
 View Profile Link to this post
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Wed Feb 20, 2013, 1:31pm
Subject: Re: Dialing In - One coffee at a time?

Markarian Said:

So I think I may have found my problem in not getting one type, dialing in, and sticking with it. Is this accurate?

Posted February 20, 2013 link

No.  Not really.  What you describe is how I make coffee -- going through several pounds of "X" before switching over and going through several pounds of "Y" -- but many others "single-dose" and will have a number of different beans (SO's and blends) available.

Markarian Said:

Also, I've noticed that my first shot of the morning always seems to choke the machine on a grind setting that was fine the evening before (this is especially true for Tanzanian Peaberry, which is my favorite). Is this normal and how should I compensate for this? Sometimes, I need to re-learn the basics to get back on track.

Posted February 20, 2013 link

It is normal to need to adjust the grind as the beans age, and -- depending upon grinder and other equipment, as well as volume and emotional dedication -- throughout the course of the day in, say, a busy coffee house.

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
D4F

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Wed Feb 20, 2013, 1:33pm

I have a significant change from Stumptown Hairbender to Redbird Blue Jaguar.  I have learned to clear the grinder completely and reset on Preciso.  Is is enough difference to totally change the espresso volume/time.  Redbird decaf to Redbird Espresso was the same way for me.  So, I do not change back and forth.  That is just beans change and does not account for moisture/humidity, how long frozen ...

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Wed Feb 20, 2013, 1:48pm

Like Jason, I stay with one coffee for a while at a time.
I do have multiple grinders though so if I need to add a SO or something, I do not mess up the settings on my main grinder.
It is normal to need to make small adjustments all the time and quite often the change from one bean to another will take a few tries to get it right so you will use extra coffee switching. Sometimes, grinders like the Vario are better at this as they are stepped and fairly repeatable with settings so once you get one coffee dialed in, write it on the bag or where ever so you get close the next time.... provided it is not too long between uses.

My grinders are stepless and small changes make a difference so to switch with these grinder can be a pain, thus my staying with one coffee at a time.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Wed Feb 20, 2013, 1:50pm

I stay on one kind at a time then move to another.  Maybe you should get a hand grinder for the one off coffees.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
JonR10
JonR10

Espresso: E61 Legend, Livietta,...
Grinder: Robur, B-Vario-W
Vac Pot: Hario Tabletop, Yama...
Drip: Technivorm
Roaster: 1-lb US Roaster, Behmor 1600
Posted Wed Feb 20, 2013, 2:19pm

I change coffees frequently, and often pull shots with more than one coffee during a session.  I just changed my grinder setting a bit coarser yesterday, it was the first grinder adjustment I've made in over 6 months....and that was because I decided to switch baskets, not because of the coffees.  

But I have a large conical grinder that is probably more forgiving than a smaller planar grinder.  

Still, the reason I don't change grind settings is because I usually adjust the dose to get the flow I want.  This is especially easy with the VSt baskets because they are so dose-sensitive.  Changing by 1/2 a gram can make a huge difference in a VST.  

And - even with other baskets - changing dose is one tool we have to alter the extraction of an espresso shot.  I don't know why your first shot acts differently, but maybe try using a slightly smaller dose early in the day and see if that helps.

Jon Rosenthal
Houston, TX
Markarian
Markarian

Posted Wed Feb 20, 2013, 2:52pm

That's a really interesting factor I keep forgetting is dosage. I have the Ridgeless VST 18g, as well as a Ridged 22g I got from Helen (that I haven't tried out yet), and I have a Vario-W so I have no excuse not to dose differently if so called for. I always dose at 18.7g no matter what coffee I'm using because I'm always worried any less coffee will put me at higher risk for channeling, which is probably silly. Is that a lot for a VST 18? On my next session in an hour two I'll try dosing a gram less and see what happens. Should I be dosing higher or lower for darker or lighter roasts? I'm pulling doubles and don't want early blonding, but its very tricky to avoid that with the Peaberry, I've found. Thanks for all the suggestions, everyone.
Markarian
Markarian

Posted Wed Feb 20, 2013, 4:11pm

Another thing I should add is my technique. When I dose 18.7g, I mean I dose 18.7g and ALL of that coffee ends up in the puck. I don't level or brush coffee off the top. I just slowly push it down, nutate, and give it a firm tamp.
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Wed Feb 20, 2013, 4:56pm

I think the VST baskets are +- 1 gram

So:
17-19 =18g
19-21 =20 g
21-23=22g

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
Markarian
Markarian

Posted Wed Feb 20, 2013, 5:42pm

Okay, so I changed my standard dose to 17.7g from 18.7g and immediately started getting more consistent shots. Also, I think that Peaberry is REALLY difficult to dial in and, as much as I love drinking it, it's a poor choice for using to dial in my grinder. With the new dose I'm getting tasty three-layered shots with tons of crema and long, stripey cones in exactly 30 seconds with my Panache Kona Blend, so that's telling me that my technique shouldn't be at fault here, but rather it's probably the beans. Of course, we know Oscar is behaving himself so no worries there ;-)
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Dialing In - One...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.426533937454)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+