Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Breville Dual Boiler BES900XL Owners Thread
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Breville Dual...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 160 of 258 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
BubbaDude
BubbaDude
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Breville Dual Boiler
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: Clever Coffee Dripper
Roaster: Hottop 2KB
Posted Wed Feb 20, 2013, 12:58pm
Subject: Re: Breville Dual Boiler BES900XL Owners Thread

tinytot2 Said:

Agreed, but isn't Baratza manufactured in China (Taiwan)?

Posted February 20, 2013 link

China's the world's leading country in manufacturing these days, so boycotting Chinese goods would leave us without much choice for appliances, electronics, tools, and machines.

"I've Scaced many HX/E61 machines, seeing shot variances of up to 8-10F or more. [The BDB] stays within 1F." - Mark Prince
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
cuznvin

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II
Grinder: MACAP M4 Stepless /Baratza...
Drip: YouBrew
Posted Wed Feb 20, 2013, 1:00pm

tinytot2 Said:

From what I hear Taiwanese products are made to higher standards than the made in china. Not sure about baratza, but I will be checking that and if so, not buying it.

Labor in Taiwan cost more due to stringent labor laws set up to protect workers and guarantee a safe work place. Labor laws is lax in China so companies exploit such and hire cheap, less skilled and less knowledgeable workers. Result is less consistency in quality in Made in China products.

Giants Bicycle is an example. The higher end products are still produced in the Taiwan plants. Cheap models and lower end products are made in China plants. Giants wanted to make sure their higher end models is worth its cost.
 View Profile Link to this post
cuznvin

Posted Wed Feb 20, 2013, 1:04pm

BubbaDude Said:

China's the world's leading country in manufacturing these days, so boycotting Chinese goods would leave us without much choice for appliances, electronics, tools, and machines.

But in this case, there are other choices such as Italy and Spain. If you look hard enough you will find..
cuznvin

Posted Wed Feb 20, 2013, 1:09pm

tinytot2 Said:

Baratza:
Made in Taiwan; burrs made in Italy.
cuznvin

Posted Wed Feb 20, 2013, 1:13pm

Mazzer:

The whole process of manufacture is carried out with advanced technologies and strict quality controls in the 7000 sq. meters large factory located in Gardigiano di Scorze (Venice).
tinytot2

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: NS Oscar
Grinder: Vario W
Drip: Breville YouBrew
Posted Wed Feb 20, 2013, 1:17pm

cuznvin Said:

Mazzer:

The whole process of manufacture is carried out with advanced technologies and strict quality controls in the 7000 sq. meters large factory located in Gardigiano di Scorze (Venice).

Thanks for all the info!
AlexKilpatrick

Grinder: Bairtiza Vario
Posted Wed Feb 20, 2013, 1:47pm

cuznvin Said:

It would be nice if they decide to make the new versions someplace other than China.

I can't see any way they would do this.  They are largely trying to compete on capability/$  They have a lot of experience on mass production, which they are leveraging to keep the costs for the BDB down.  I know many folks here would frown on mass production, but lots of high-quality things are mass-produced in China (iPods, for example).  Mass production is always going to be cheaper than hand-made because of economies of scale.   Mass production is not necessarily poor quality, nor is hand-made automatically good quality.  The BDB issues that have surfaced so far seem to be design defects that ended up being an issue after a year of operation.  I haven't seen anything that looks like it was poorly skilled labor.

As far as the labor situation in China, I don't know what the real story is.  There is a ton of propaganda on both sides, and I am sure Chinese laborers don't have the same protections as US workers.  However, just blindly boycotting things from China is going to end up with a lot of factory workers going back to a peasant level existence.  There has to be a better way to resolve the labor issues than just boycotting a whole country.
cuznvin

Posted Wed Feb 20, 2013, 1:53pm

Im more concerned with the factory workers in the US that have no jobs then I am about the chinese factory workers going to back to a peasant level existence. I for one would rather pay a little more if they were made elsewhere...
BubbaDude
BubbaDude

Grinder: Baratza Vario
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: Clever Coffee Dripper
Roaster: Hottop 2KB
Posted Wed Feb 20, 2013, 2:12pm

cuznvin Said:

Im more concerned with the factory workers in the US that have no jobs then I am about the chinese factory workers going to back to a peasant level existence. I for one would rather pay a little more if they were made elsewhere...

How many espresso machines do American factory workers make?

"I've Scaced many HX/E61 machines, seeing shot variances of up to 8-10F or more. [The BDB] stays within 1F." - Mark Prince
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
cuznvin

Posted Wed Feb 20, 2013, 2:14pm

How many espresso machines do American factory workers make?[

We were discussing factory workers and products , not espresso machines in particular. We all have our own opinions and this is mine as yours is to choose the BDB.
showing page 160 of 258 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Breville Dual...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.495252847672)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+