Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
2k budget ideas and Quick Mill Anita vs Andreja Premium
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > 2k budget ideas...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 5 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
CharityV
CharityV
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Le'lit PL041
Grinder: Rocky DL
Roaster: SC/TO
Posted Tue Feb 19, 2013, 6:01pm
Subject: Re: 2k budget ideas and Quick Mill Anita vs Andreja Premium

Honestly? There are soooooo many machines out there of that level these days, I narrowed it down to those carried by Seattle Coffee Gear, because I can go in and pick up the machine in person when I buy (I am close enough geographically, and my best friend lives in Seattle, where I visit frequently), and as I researched, I just really liked what I was seeing with the Quickmill and Rocket brands, both of which have longevity and are well known companies with solid machines and a long history of reviews. Are there lots of other machines out there that could fit the bill? Sure. But these choices fit my needs and what I am looking for in a machine, I like what I've seen, I like how they look, they are solid...why make myself crazy with choices when I've found something that fits me?
 View Profile Link to this post
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Tue Feb 19, 2013, 8:11pm

I didn't say you could not/would not/should not consider looks for your purchase.  I was mostly kidding but you say you don't like something without insulting those that do.  I think there are some reasons that ABS is worth considering - like price and maintenance and some wives (like me) might approve more those things.

And believe me a real espresso is impressive whether it is a lever, SS or ABS -  if you know how to work it.  I am completely unimpressed with large viking ranges that never even get to boil water.  (I know a lot of people with those)  I want a huge copper thing like the one from the TV show friends but I will probably never have one.... too large, too hard to clean, too easy to burn myself and too costly.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Chang94598

Posted Tue Feb 19, 2013, 8:25pm

I happened to have both the Anita and Oscar, and had also used the Bezerra BZ07.

Oscar has stronger steam power; I actually can use the steam wand to make scrambled eggs.

The Anita has a vacuum valve which the Oscar does not, and therefore can be plugged into a timer. The Oscar, due to lack of vacuum valve, cannot be plugged into a timer and requires one extra step of letting the "false" pressure escape from the steam wand, then wait for about 5 minutes before brewing. The disadvantage of a vacuum valve is that it eventually it will need replacement.

The plastic drip tray on the Oscar eventually had peeled off paint and the drip grid warped after a few years.  The drip tray is also lower on the back, therefore if not careful, can overflow. The drain from the over pressure valve occasionally gets pinched by the drip tray, and the OPV should be set for higher than 9 bars, otherwise it fills the drip tray quickly.

The e61 style group head like the Anita can be fitted with a thermometer, and it will be very difficult to fit one for the Oscar.

Over the years, both over pressure valves on the Anita and Oscar required replacement.  

Oscar as a more durable Sirai pressure stat.  Anita is made by Mater, a bit less durable.

The boiler on the Anita can be drained more easily for descaling.

The water tank of Oscar, due to the construction with the valve on the bottom, can leak, which I had to replace and had flooded my office once.

The Anita has more common parts. The Oscar needs to have some parts ordered from the distributor in Washington, like the proprietary over pressure valve and water tank.

The Bezzera also makes excellent drinks. My in law's Bezzerra needs some parts, and was told by the distributor to contact the manufacturer (in Italy!) directly, which I found was a hassle. For me at least, I like to have parts that are generic and readily available, because espresso machines ultimately will need replacement parts.

So which one will I choose after using both for 3+ year? I would choose the Anita, but both make excellent drinks.
cuznvin

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II
Grinder: MACAP M4 Stepless /Baratza...
Drip: YouBrew
Posted Wed Feb 20, 2013, 6:10am

For the cost of one of those HX machines, why not go for a QM67?
tdifraia

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: QM67
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Drip: Bunn
Posted Wed Feb 20, 2013, 8:23am

I would recommend being patient and doing some research. I got a brand new Baratza Vario on EBay for $335, and a month later got a Buyers Remorse Quickmill QM67 (dual Blr) from Chris Coffee for $1500. Thats $1835 ... The QM was as good as brand new, the machine fired up perfect and I cant make a bad shot with this grinder / machine combo. I got a 2 year warranty AND used my AMEX to double it to 4 years. I wasnt even looking at double boilers because of the higher price, but got lucky and pounced on the deal after Chris told me he had a Buyers remorse for sale. There is no temp surfing with the dual PID and my learning curve was kept to a minimum. I got my machine the day after I placed my order and so far my expectations have been exceeded. Dont be hasty and keep your eyes open. Make sure you deal with reputable companies. I had NO PROBLEM getting a buyers remorse from Chris Coffee because of the numerous positive posts and his ability to satisfy his customers consistently. Also I hope to have this machine for many years to come, without wanting to upgrade. Good Luck.

Dapuma Said:

The Andreaj Premium is out of the budget range because I would still be using my spice grinder to make espresso which won't work at all, however Clive Coffee has a combo for 1999 - which would get me the Quick Mill Anita Espresso Machine and the Vario Grinder

What other options should I consider for a Vario Grinder + Machine in my budget

Going to be making espresso's and latte / mocha / capps - on the weekend several times a day, probably not a lot during the week

Posted February 17, 2013 link

cuznvin

Posted Wed Feb 20, 2013, 8:29am

tdifraia Said:

I would recommend being patient and doing some research. I got a brand new Baratza Vario on EBay for $335, and a month later got a Buyers Remorse Quickmill QM67 (dual Blr) from Chris Coffee for $1500. Thats $1835 ... The QM was as good as brand new, the machine fired up perfect and I cant make a bad shot with this grinder / machine combo. I got a 2 year warranty AND used my AMEX to double it to 4 years. I wasnt even looking at double boilers because of the higher price, but got lucky and pounced on the deal after Chris told me he had a Buyers remorse for sale. There is no temp surfing with the dual PID and my learning curve was kept to a minimum. I got my machine the day after I placed my order and so far my expectations have been exceeded. Dont be hasty and keep your eyes open. Make sure you deal with reputable companies. I had NO PROBLEM getting a buyers remorse from Chris Coffee because of the numerous positive posts and his ability to satisfy his customers consistently. Also I hope to have this machine for many years to come, without wanting to upgrade. Good Luck.

Posted February 20, 2013 link

I was just looking at the QM on CCS under their buyers remorse but it sold. Good tip on using the AMEX....
tdifraia

Posted Wed Feb 20, 2013, 10:31am

Ya Vin I love it. Even though I am new to making my own Espresso, and have nothing to compare it to I really enjoy the results I am getting from this machine. Its only been about a week, but Ive already had 2 parties and must have made a couple of hundred shots. Considering how long it takes me to grind and tamp i have yet to wait for the machines temps to catch up. Its been all good so far. Well there is one exception. The expense. Ive gone thru about 10 bags of beans. My supplier just gave me 15% discount. Im putting two kids thru college. I must slow down. I also want to tip my hat to Chris of CCS. He has answered every email Ive sent him, no matter how simple a question. I call that exceptional customer care. Between CCS and 1st Line, Ill never have to worry about service, parts or supplies.

cuznvin Said:

I was just looking at the QM on CCS under their buyers remorse but it sold. Good tip on using the AMEX....

cuznvin

Posted Wed Feb 20, 2013, 10:43am

tdifraia Said:

Ya Vin I love it. Even though I am new to making my own Espresso, and have nothing to compare it to I really enjoy the results I am getting from this machine. Its only been about a week, but Ive already had 2 parties and must have made a couple of hundred shots. Considering how long it takes me to grind and tamp i have yet to wait for the machines temps to catch up. Its been all good so far. Well there is one exception. The expense. Ive gone thru about 10 bags of beans. My supplier just gave me 15% discount. Im putting two kids thru college. I must slow down. I also want to tip my hat to Chris of CCS. He has answered every email Ive sent him, no matter how simple a question. I call that exceptional customer care. Between CCS and 1st Line, Ill never have to worry about service, parts or supplies.

Awesome.. This will probably be the machine I get. I would love to buy from CCS but dont want to pay tax. I have found clive coffee to be very responsive and helpful. May go with them...So no sour shots?
tdifraia

Posted Wed Feb 20, 2013, 11:30am

I did go thru a bag of starbucks with no freshness date that was ... I would say more bitter than sour. It tasted more like burnt rubber. But as soon as I switched to fresh beans from a quality roaster, It was like night and day!!

cuznvin Said:

Awesome.. This will probably be the machine I get. I would love to buy from CCS but dont want to pay tax. I have found clive coffee to be very responsive and helpful. May go with them...So no sour shots?

Dapuma

Posted Thu Feb 21, 2013, 1:52pm

ugh Chris's Coffee had a promo double boiler model for 1300...it is gone before i could call - guess I was right to note it was a good deal at least
showing page 2 of 5 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > 2k budget ideas...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.469192028046)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+