Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Breville Dual Boiler BES900XL Owners Thread
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Breville Dual...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 157 of 254 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
BubbaDude
BubbaDude
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Breville Dual Boiler
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: Clever Coffee Dripper
Roaster: Hottop 2KB
Posted Tue Feb 19, 2013, 1:31pm
Subject: Re: Breville Dual Boiler BES900XL Owners Thread

This isn't a Gaggia Classic, Beanie.

"I've Scaced many HX/E61 machines, seeing shot variances of up to 8-10F or more. [The BDB] stays within 1F." - Mark Prince
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
AlexKilpatrick

Grinder: Bairtiza Vario
Posted Tue Feb 19, 2013, 1:39pm

CMIN Said:

Hope Breville makes it right for you Bubba. My buddy has two, one at home and one at office since they started selling them. The one at the office is on and used dang near non stop all day for employees, clients etc. Hasn't had an issue with either, so guess we'll see....if anything I'd figure any flaw would pop up with how hard the office one is used going on like a year and a half or so?

Posted February 19, 2013 link

As my stats friends love to say "the plural of anecdotes is not data"  The fact that your friend's machines work doesn't tell us anything.  The fact that Bubba's machine failed doesn't tell us anything.  The fact that he was a staunch advocate is totally irrelevant, except maybe for "told you so" benefit.   Manufacturing and the science of defect analysis is an incredibly complex mathematical field, and I am really surprised that we have so many experts here at coffeegeek.  Many people here are able to predict that these failures are the "tip of the iceberg" from a tiny number of data points in an incredibly non-random sample.  I know PhD people who work in stats that are not able to do that.

But seriously, it is totally ridiculous to infer anything from the anecdotal data presented here.  Pick the most high-end super-reliable item you can imagine and search for it on Amazon.  You will see people having failures with it.  

Maybe this IS the tip of the iceberg, and 99% of BDBs are going to fail in the next year.  Or maybe these are isolated things affecting people who live in really dry climates (making up that example), and it affects .01% of the customers.  Unfortunately, no one but Breville knows the real data here.
 View Profile Link to this post
AlexKilpatrick

Posted Tue Feb 19, 2013, 1:48pm

Iluvdabean Said:

If they can get Walmart or one of the box stores to carry them and ask around 299.00 they may carve out an existence
with people who dont know anything but they wont make it in the land of serious espresso machines.
This belongs to the Italians. They should stick to toasters and just be happy.

it's fascinating to me how someone can be some emotionally involved in someone else's choice of a machine.  I'm glad you are happy with your Italian espresso machine, but why is it so important to come in here and tell us your opinion of the machine we have chosen?
Iluvdabean
Iluvdabean

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra/Gaggia...
Grinder: Baratza Preciso/K-A Pro...
Drip: Bonavita BV 1800 TH
Roaster: Nesco 1010/Behmor 1600
Posted Tue Feb 19, 2013, 1:51pm

I know its not nearly as reliable...Mine has worked perfectly everyday for five years. I mean think about it you had perfect shots for 13 months..
Ive had espresso for five years....which leads me to believe the Australians should stick to sailing,surfing,endless beautiful beaches and movies about guys with long knives and accents. Leave the espresso to people who care.

BubbaDude Said:

This isn't a Gaggia Classic, Beanie.

View Profile Contact via ICQ Link to this post
BubbaDude
BubbaDude

Posted Tue Feb 19, 2013, 1:51pm

AlexKilpatrick Said:

it's fascinating to me how someone can be some emotionally involved in someone else's choice of a machine.

I never cease to be amazed to see so many people get so emotional about kitchen appliances. It must be the caffeine.

"I've Scaced many HX/E61 machines, seeing shot variances of up to 8-10F or more. [The BDB] stays within 1F." - Mark Prince
BubbaDude
BubbaDude

Posted Tue Feb 19, 2013, 1:54pm

Iluvdabean Said:

I know its not nearly as reliable...Mine has worked perfectly everyday for five years. I mean think about it you had perfect shots for 13 months..
Ive had espresso for five years....which leads me to believe the Australians should stick to sailing,surfing,endless beautiful beaches and movies about guys with long knives and accents. Leave the espresso to people who care.

I'm happy for you. I've had three SBDU machines too, and aside from the temperature surfing issues and their tendency to burn out after my kids steamed milk, they were fine. I still have one with a PID that works fairly well. It's no match for the Breville when it's working, however.

AlexKilpatrick

Posted Tue Feb 19, 2013, 1:58pm

BubbaDude Said:

I never cease to be amazed to see so many people get so emotional about kitchen appliances. It must be the caffeine.

Well, I have seen emotional debates about some things - Android vs iOS; Mac vs PC; Playstation vs XBOX, and a few other ones.  There was recently a blog post on TechCrunch about "Fanboy-ism"  It isn't about espresso, but the lessons here are very relevant to some of the debates about machines:

http://techcrunch.com/2013/02/18/the-agony-of-the-fanboy/

But what I don't understand is why there is so much nastiness around machines?  Why don't people get nasty about grinders, tampers, or the actual freaking coffee beans?  "Australians should stick to movies about people with long knives"  Who SAYS stuff like that?
BubbaDude
BubbaDude

Posted Tue Feb 19, 2013, 2:05pm

AlexKilpatrick Said:

Who SAYS stuff like that?

Trolls.

Iluvdabean
Iluvdabean

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra/Gaggia...
Grinder: Baratza Preciso/K-A Pro...
Drip: Bonavita BV 1800 TH
Roaster: Nesco 1010/Behmor 1600
Posted Tue Feb 19, 2013, 2:16pm

Bubba Dude Ive been here 6 years longer than you actually so no..Im no troll you might want to think about using that word more carefully yourself with that it mind.
I was having fun...making a joke illustrating that Breville has no espresso machine history but Australia has a lot of other stuff....enter the Crocodile Dundee comment..I mean
its hilarious and I love those films...its humor. Anyways we all tend to take ourselves to seriously. Bottom line is it sounds like your getting the situation taken care of...and who knows maybe voicing these concerns had an
effect. Lets hope the situation gets resolved ,things return to normal around here.

I am hoping that someone at Breville will man up.....or woman up.....and see people here are asking for fairness for you. You paid good money for your machine and you want it replaced. Its not based on what written down in a document, no its living...its man code, they need to be a company who has character,even if its just on a case by case basis. They will loose a lot more than one machine from the bad PR here than if they did whats right. Breville are you out there????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????????? DO YOU CARE

BubbaDude Said:

View Profile Contact via ICQ Link to this post
JonR10
JonR10

Espresso: E61 Legend, Livietta,...
Grinder: Robur, B-Vario-W
Vac Pot: Hario Tabletop, Yama...
Drip: Technivorm
Roaster: 1-lb US Roaster, Behmor 1600
Posted Tue Feb 19, 2013, 2:20pm

hotwasabipeas Said:

...yet there was the infamous Crossland CC1 "road trip" that was suppose to result in a lengthy review with all of the participants writing about their experience with the machine.  What the heck happened there?  Let me guess...there was a major problem or defect discovered during the course of the road trip and, since Bill Crossland does take part in this forum from time-to-time, I bet they decided never to do the post-tour article so as not to show the CC1 in a bad light.  

You are entitled to your conjecture, but I can confirm that your assumption is completely unfounded and inaccurate.  The story we got was that they were working on a website upgrade for reviews and the developers screwed the CG management and are now the subject of legal action.  

CG is searching for someone to do the work:
"CoffeeGeek is Hiring: Web Interface Designer"  

Meanwhile, reviews of the CC1 and Ceado Grinder were never published and the delay has been so long that those writings are now outdated (Ceado is reviewed elsewhere and CC1 has a design update).

Jon Rosenthal
Houston, TX
showing page 157 of 254 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Breville Dual...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.58309006691)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+