Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Trying to Decide R58, Quickmill Qm7,  Breville DB
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Trying to Decide...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 27 of 41 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
Iluvdabean
Iluvdabean
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra/Gaggia...
Grinder: Baratza Preciso/K-A Pro...
Drip: Bonavita BV 1800 TH
Roaster: Nesco 1010/Behmor 1600
Posted Mon Feb 18, 2013, 1:17pm
Subject: Re: Trying to Decide R58, Quickmill Qm7,  Breville DB

I am sorry too Bubbadude,,,,I hope you have no hard feelings against me. It will work out..things always do.
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Link to this post
cuznvin

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II
Grinder: MACAP M4 Stepless /Baratza...
Drip: YouBrew
Posted Mon Feb 18, 2013, 1:25pm

CSME9 Said:

Italo2275 Said:
WS: No not yet, I am going this Friday as the tech guy will be there, hopefully they can fix it there and then. I will let you guys know how it ends up.

Italo-Did you link up with the technician ?

WS

Posted February 18, 2013 link

I spoke to him. He did bring it in for service. The tech said the motor was touching something and he would fix it. When he picked it up, it was already boxed up. Took it home and STILL making the noise. Not as bad, but still doing it. He is now bringing it back again and the owner will oversee the repair this time...

And WLL no longer selling the R58...
 View Profile Link to this post
CSME9
CSME9
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Isomac Tea, Rancilio Silvia,...
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky
Drip: Moka Pot
Roaster: BBQ Roaster
Posted Mon Feb 18, 2013, 1:43pm

Cuznvin: I think i would have been pissed if i had to pack, transport & repack again to take it back.

Nice looking machine on paper but just to many issues, numerous vendors dropping the product from their lineup, some claim packing damages but others eluded to unresolved QC issues.

WS
cuznvin

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II
Grinder: MACAP M4 Stepless /Baratza...
Drip: YouBrew
Posted Mon Feb 18, 2013, 1:47pm

CSME9 Said:

Cuznvin: I think i would have been pissed if i had to pack, transport & repack again to take it back.

Nice looking machine on paper but just to many issues, numerous vendors dropping the product from their lineup, some claim packing damages but others eluded to unresolved QC issues.

WS

he is very pissed.... As would I be...plus he has a 90 minute drive
joatmon

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Mon Feb 18, 2013, 1:59pm

Removed
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Mon Feb 18, 2013, 2:09pm

Damn!  Crystal balls ARE real!  ;^)

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
crazy4espresso
crazy4espresso

Espresso: Silvia, La Pavoni...
Grinder: Pharos
Posted Mon Feb 18, 2013, 3:33pm

joatmon Said:

I spent 10 minutes and $.10 worth of lube doing the quarterly maintenance on the Lambro on Sunday.

You spent that much? Leverhead jumping in here.  In the last 3 years I've had to descale once, so a few cents on citric acid.  Other than that no maintenance required on the ol' LP.
jwoodyu
jwoodyu

Espresso: Allex Duetto II
Grinder: Mazzer Major
Roaster: Poppery
Posted Mon Feb 18, 2013, 6:07pm

JasonBrandtLewis Said:

Up until now, you were largely responsible for me no longer suggesting that people cross themselves and spit twice when they see the word "Breville," and instead hold my tongue, taking a wait-and-see approach . . .

Now, however, I think I might go back to my "Breville?  Run a-w-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-y-y-y-y-y . . . . " response.

To freaking funny.

BubbaDude Said:

Sometimes your first instinct is the right one. I'm sorry if anybody bought one of these stinkers on my advice. It looks like a disposable espresso machine just good enough to outlast the warranty. Rather than replace a Breville every year, it seems a bit more prudent to look for a machine that can last five years for twice the price.

Sorry for your troubles and the money spent it is not a darn bit funny. I would not be surprised Breville makes it right just because of the ardent supporter of the BDB you have been on this forum.

Yes I put the BDB and CC1 in the same class, yes i have a reason for leaving SCG off my list, yes it is my opinion, yes it is subjective as opinions are by definition, no don't start a flame war because you disagree.
Iluvdabean
Iluvdabean

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra/Gaggia...
Grinder: Baratza Preciso/K-A Pro...
Drip: Bonavita BV 1800 TH
Roaster: Nesco 1010/Behmor 1600
Posted Mon Feb 18, 2013, 7:14pm

Man what a bummer...let us know how it goes.
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Link to this post
DavecUK

Posted Mon Feb 18, 2013, 9:21pm

Bubbadude,

I'm not going to be as sympathetic as the others, partly because I think in a sense the Breville has done you a favour. You have learned a very hard/expensive lesson. Sometimes with these espresso machines the ownership experience scales exponentially with a little more spend. I hope that next time you buy something that will be easy/cheap to maintain, La Spaziale may perhaps not be the best choice for this. I personally don't like them and although I won't go into my reasons, I do think better choices can be made.

I have extensively reviewed/tested a lot of coffee machines, probably more than 40 different models over the years but, I don't review/test machines in the category of the Breville DB, simply because I am not interested and can't be arsed to do so. My reviews are published (for the machines they stock) on a British site at Bella Barista (some really bad machines they didn't stock and didn't publish the review). They are all locked so cannot be changed and are warts and all reviews. Why don't you have a look at them, most of the ones done in the last 3 years run to 18 pages or so. it may at least give you some things to think about.

At the moment, If I were to recommend a great performing DB machine  in the sensible price range, it would still have to be the Duetto. I am however, about to review a new DB machine in the next month or so, that I think might be even better in terms of price and it will look better..performance may well be the same. Unfortunately you probably won't get them in the US for quite a while.

I think my long post many pages ago has been completely vindicated by your recent experience with the Breville (after a very short period of ownership). Below are pictures of my nearly 6 year old pre-production prototype Duetto. Inside it looks the same as a brand new machine, the pump has been removed and the motor spindle packed with Dow Corning Molycote III in case of a leak and if you look carefully you will see my home made leak indicator in the weep hole. This is simply a small piece of kitchen paper rolled up and used to wick any water out. A water soluble ink line will blur should it ever leak inside. I can check this quickly with a torch and removal of the top place (4 screws). The last picture is a quick photo on the counter. I stress again this is a 6 year old machine, it has never required any spares (apart from group gaskets) and only minimal maintenance (e,g, lubing the cam pins and cursory annual inspections for leaks, etc.. In 6 years time it's going to look pretty much the same. and work just as well. It has also been switched on an average of 15 hours a day for the last 5.5 years, that's more than 30,000 hours!!

http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/2701/sam4568h.jpg
http://img843.imageshack.us/img843/3170/sam4574.jpg
http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/2350/sam4577.jpg

It's not about bragging rights, it's not about shiny chrome, it's not about being old fashioned or out of date with off the shelf parts and outdated electronics. It's simply about good design and what works really well, it's about the ability for almost anyone to maintain and repair them and it's about long term ownership.  I currently own 3 machines. A Francino, a R58 dual boiler and the old pre-production Duetto. The Duetto is still by far my favourite, the others sit in boxes. With the reasonable expected lifetime of a Duetto, ownership costs probably top out at less than $1.50 per week, probably a lot less than a single cup of coffee in a Cafe.
showing page 27 of 41 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Trying to Decide...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Saeco Espresso Machines
Large selection in-stock, includes Free Gifts and Free Shipping!
www.espressozone.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.440402984619)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+