Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Got a used Gaggia Classic, whats next?
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Got a used...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 3 first page previous page
Author Messages
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Mon Feb 18, 2013, 9:40am
Subject: Re: Got a used Gaggia Classic, whats next?

Grinders make such a difference it is hard to express in words.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
D4F

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Mon Feb 18, 2013, 6:33pm

brianl Said:

Does anyone have a recommendation for stream?

The next step is to get a plug in timer because I don't have time to heat it up otherwise in the morning . Maybe a mechanical one or could I just put it on before bed and leave it on?

Posted February 18, 2013 link

I am not sure what you are asking about stream, or steam.  What do you want to know?  As far as temperatures, the actual is not so important as is your knowledge and consistency.  The temperature is greatly affected by proximity to the elements.  There is probably a strip between the elements front, top and back that would give similar results.  What you do get from the theromometer is a way to use the steam switch to raise or lower the temperature during brew or steaming by coordinating ue of the steam switch, or by timing off of the lights showing the elements on and off.

I would not leave it on for long unattended.  You can get a drip from the wand and lose water slowly.  With elements outside the tank, they are not dependant on the water to cool, but I would not leave it on overnight.  Timer for 15 amps ok.

Is the thermal paste that you rub together a paste or is it a glue?

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
 View Profile Link to this post
brianl

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic (w/PID)
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Drip: chemex
Posted Mon Feb 18, 2013, 7:09pm

I'm sorry! I meant steam. I have heard people using PIDs to maximize the power of the steam.

I have ordered a 15amp timer and will report back results.

The adhesive that I used is epoxy putty for high temperatures.
D4F

Posted Mon Feb 18, 2013, 7:38pm

Is the epoxy also for heat transfer, or just high temperature.  If something similar to Arctic Silver, it is for high temperature and thermal conductivity.  Fine if not, as you do not need the precision, but it could explain slightly low temperatures vs what you have seen with others.

A PID can help steam as it replaces the function of the OEM steam stat.  That stat has a wide deadband or hystersis, as does the brewstat.  The PID can be set at a set point with little deadband or hystersis. With OEM you can be trying to steam and have the stat reach temperature and click off and then you are cooling through the deadband until it clicks back on.

You want to PID your machine if you are able :)

D4F also at
brianl

Posted Mon Feb 18, 2013, 8:07pm

I have looked at PID kits but need to decide if I need steam help too and some have preinfusing help? Are these features worth the extra cash? I would also consider whipping something up myself. So you think the PID is worthwhile with the small boiler over what I have now ?
D4F

Posted Mon Feb 18, 2013, 10:33pm

I think the PID is a great addition to SBDU machines.  On the Classic I use PID functions, alarm for steam, and second alarm to add heat with brew.  I did not go for preinfusion after reading the forums. On the Gaggia with 3 way, when you infuse and then rest, the 3 way works and you can break up a moistened puck.

The SYL-1512A is the standard PID and I prefer the SYL-2362A with the second alarm function.  Not sure if you read the thread

http://coffeegeek.com/forums/espresso/machinemods/571792

I am using PID for idle/brew temperature, one alarm for the steam temperature, and the other alarm to add heat during brew.  The added function gives faster temperature recovery for a second brew, and will add enough heat to stabilize intrashot temperature.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sluei1-IkTw

If you can solder, then you can do your own wiring, if not, then the kit.  I am happy to help.  You will need a PID controller, 25 amp SSR, and a suitable sensor.  I recommend the Gaggia RTD by Auber.  You save most of the money by making up the wires.

A kit will look a lot like this, as will the wiring if you make it.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/81832954%40N00/2330218796

D4F also at
brianl

Posted Tue Feb 19, 2013, 7:52am

Click Here (www.auberins.com)

Is that along the lines of what you prefer? I didn't see the 2362A anymore and just the 2362B on that webpage.

I can solder quite well but will other tools be needed, assuming I get that PID controller? For what the trouble is worth, would you just recommend to get a kit? Just based on a quick look at the kits at Auber, I don't see much mention of the 2362B and based on your description on the alarms it looks like something worth doing.

I already asked about tools that will be needed, but could you please help me with a shopping list? Im looking at the image that you posted at the end and it has text descriptions that will help, is this every necessary item (besides PID controller and SSR)? Do you have approximate length of the wires?

thanks for your help! I know it's not the first time you've assisted me and it's appreciated.
D4F

Posted Tue Feb 19, 2013, 10:38am

There are 2 very similar PID controllers.  The one you show is the 12v DC version of the other.

AC version of 2362A, or 2362A2 I believe Auber calls it.

Either will work, but you would need a 12v DC source for the controller if you go that route.  You might also use the source for other DC voltage as you may have noted in the long thread, but I think that will complicate things.

I will post how to info and supplies on my previous thread as it is already has a lot of reference material.  Keeps a lot in one place and there is another member currently interested.

http://coffeegeek.com/forums/espresso/machinemods/571792

D4F also at
D4F

Posted Tue Feb 19, 2013, 10:44am

D4F Said:

A PID can help steam as it replaces the function of the OEM steam stat.  That stat has a wide deadband or hystersis, as does the brewstat.  The PID can be set at a set point with little deadband or hystersis. With OEM you can be trying to steam and have the stat reach temperature and click off and then you are cooling through the deadband until it clicks back on.

Posted February 18, 2013 link

I should have also noted in the answer to your steam question the following reference.  The higher that you hold the steam temperature, the more pressure.  The less deadband, the better the pressure.

Click Here (www.jgbhose.com)

250F is 15.1 lbs/sq" and 293F is 3 times that.  The controller still allows fluctuation, just not as large.

D4F also at
brianl

Posted Tue Feb 19, 2013, 10:54am

thanks again, I anxiously await your response at the other topic :)
showing page 3 of 3 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Got a used...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.410875082016)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+