Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Trying to Decide R58, Quickmill Qm7,  Breville DB
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Trying to Decide...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 26 of 41 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
cuznvin

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II
Grinder: MACAP M4 Stepless /Baratza...
Drip: YouBrew
Posted Fri Feb 15, 2013, 6:51am
Subject: Re: Trying to Decide R58, Quickmill Qm7,  Breville DB

CSME9 Said:

Just noticed the R58 is not listed on the WLL website, no indication that it's out of stock......it's just not listed any longer.

WS

Posted February 15, 2013 link

I'm guessing they dropped it from the lineup.....
 View Profile Link to this post
CSME9
CSME9
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Isomac Tea, Rancilio Silvia,...
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky
Drip: Moka Pot
Roaster: BBQ Roaster
Posted Fri Feb 15, 2013, 10:57am

Yes there not shipping/stopped selling the machines, think it has to do with shipping as well as QC issues.
Nice machine on paper but has had a rough start.

WS
BubbaDude
BubbaDude

Espresso: Breville Dual Boiler
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: Clever Coffee Dripper
Roaster: Hottop 2KB
Posted Mon Feb 18, 2013, 12:46pm

After thirteen months of trouble-free operation, by BDB is in a world of hurt.

The first problem to show up is water leakage. When I get up in the morning, I find that the area around the machine is covered with about a cup of water. It's on a stand with a channel that catches the water, so there's no doubt it's coming from the BDB. I don't know if it's a persistent leak or a warm-up leak, but either way it sucks.

The second problem is strange behavior when the machine comes out of standby mode. Instead of warming up until it reaches the set point, as it used to do, the temperature skyrockets all the way to 208, and temp display never stops blinking. The water in the brew boiler gets super-hot, sputtering like mad if I draw hot water from it.

The only way out of this mode is to unplug the machine and essentially re-boot the processor, so this looks like a firmware problem.

So I called Breville the other day, waiting patiently for ten minutes until I got to their support engineer. When I described the problems to him he said they've had a lot of reports of the firmware issue, and said he would send me a replacement machine. He changed his mind, however, when I sent him my proof of purchase because, according to him, Amazon Warehouse Deals is not an authorized reseller so I had no warranty coverage.  He then sent me info on repair centers where I can get the machine fixed on my own dime.

Needless to say, I'm not happy with Breville.

In the interest of curiosity, I took the panels off, inspected all the wires and tubes, and replaced the O rings on the solenoid. The old ones were deformed and crusted, and the solenoid had some burnt coffee on it, to this was a necessary spot of maintenance. The O ring replacement had no effect on the firmware problem, as expected.

So I'm going to take this piece of junk in for service, and if the repair cost is as high as I imagine it will be, it will be hitting the trash can and polluting a landfill shortly. It's a shame Breville didn't have the foresight to allow users to update their firmware without a service incident. Sad rookie mistake.

Buyer beware, dudes.

I'm looking at the Spaz Dream now, it looks like they're clear on the PID/DB concept and provide the option of plumbed-in or not. The Dream also corrects the issues I had with Vivaldi in terms of convenience, and as a plus they let you turn off the steam boiler when you don't need steam. We'll see, it may take a week or two to check out my options.

"I've Scaced many HX/E61 machines, seeing shot variances of up to 8-10F or more. [The BDB] stays within 1F." - Mark Prince
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
cuznvin

Posted Mon Feb 18, 2013, 12:51pm

Dream T is tank only... Dream is plumbed in only
BubbaDude
BubbaDude

Posted Mon Feb 18, 2013, 12:55pm

cuznvin Said:

Dream T is tank only... Dream is plumbed in only

Posted February 18, 2013 link

I want to go plumbed-in eventually, but I'm moving soon so I'll have to run off a tank for a while.

"I've Scaced many HX/E61 machines, seeing shot variances of up to 8-10F or more. [The BDB] stays within 1F." - Mark Prince
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Mon Feb 18, 2013, 1:07pm

BubbaDude Said:

So I'm going to take this piece of junk in for service, and if the repair cost is as high as I imagine it will be, it will be hitting the trash can and polluting a landfill shortly. It's a shame Breville didn't have the foresight to allow users to update their firmware without a service incident. Sad rookie mistake.

OK, so I will refrain from saying "We told you so."  I am sincerely sorry -- honest! -- this happened to you, but the downfall of Breville has ALWAYS been customer service and lack of longevity in terms of machine life expectancy.

BubbaDude Said:

Buyer beware, dudes.

Up until now, you were largely responsible for me no longer suggesting that people cross themselves and spit twice when they see the word "Breville," and instead hold my tongue, taking a wait-and-see approach . . .

Now, however, I think I might go back to my "Breville?  Run a-w-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-y-y-y-y-y . . . . " response.

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
cuznvin

Posted Mon Feb 18, 2013, 1:09pm

I definitely will not be buying one now.. This just topped the cake!
BubbaDude
BubbaDude

Posted Mon Feb 18, 2013, 1:12pm

JasonBrandtLewis Said:

OK, so I will refrain from saying "We told you so."  I am sincerely sorry -- honest! -- this happened to you, but the downfall of Breville has ALWAYS been customer service and lack of longevity in terms of machine life expectancy.

Up until now, you were largely responsible for me no longer suggesting that people cross themselves and spit twice when they see the word "Breville," and instead hold my tongue, taking a wait-and-see approach . . .

Now, however, I think I might go back to my "Breville?  Run a-w-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-y-y-y-y-y . . . . " response.

Sometimes your first instinct is the right one. I'm sorry if anybody bought one of these stinkers on my advice. It looks like a disposable espresso machine just good enough to outlast the warranty. Rather than replace a Breville every year, it seems a bit more prudent to look for a machine that can last five years for twice the price.

cuznvin

Posted Mon Feb 18, 2013, 1:14pm

BubbaDude Said:

Sometimes your first instinct is the right one. I'm sorry if anybody bought one of these stinkers on my advice. It looks like a disposable espresso machine just good enough to outlast the warranty. Rather than replace a Breville every year, it seems a bit more prudent to look for a machine that can last five years for twice the price.

or less than twice ;-) .. like the qm67
CSME9
CSME9

Espresso: Isomac Tea, Rancilio Silvia,...
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky
Drip: Moka Pot
Roaster: BBQ Roaster
Posted Mon Feb 18, 2013, 1:16pm

Italo2275 Said:
WS: No not yet, I am going this Friday as the tech guy will be there, hopefully they can fix it there and then. I will let you guys know how it ends up.

Italo-Did you link up with the technician ?

WS
showing page 26 of 41 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Trying to Decide...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.449835062027)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+