Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Espresso machine suggestions?
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Espresso machine...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 3 first page previous page
Author Messages
qualin
qualin
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Izzo Alex Duetto 3
Grinder: Mazzer Mini Elect. Type A
Vac Pot: Looking to buy
Drip: Manual
Roaster: Considering?
Posted Wed Feb 27, 2013, 7:42pm
Subject: Re: Espresso machine suggestions?

lordbaltimore Said:

could you amplify on the Saeco line-up? i just joined and asked elsewhere about a new machine i acquired. it does espresso, regular brew, cappucino... these are considered good machines?

Posted February 27, 2013 link

All I can really say is that you get what you pay for. If all you want is just coffee and foamed milk and you're not too fussy about things, they'll work... but for how long, I have no idea.  

If you can live with using a pressurized portafilter, have at 'er.

Garbage In, Garbage Out, for every step of the process. From Beans to grinder, grounds to machine, coffee to cup.
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
Dapuma

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Thu Feb 28, 2013, 12:01am

I worked with a Delonghi ec-155 ($99) and spice grinder ($20) which is certainly less than ideal for coffee and am now ready to make the upgrade to a proper machine, however you can make some decent drinks with that set up

Couple things about that inexpensive of a set up, espresso shots are not going to be good plain - you are going to have to cut everything with milk / sugar / flavoring

The steaming wand is going to suck, they machine doesnt make that good of steam but if you steam the milk three times (the green light goes on when it is ready and off when it loses all steam) you can get a passable steamed milk

I would recommend getting some 1% or skim milk, some sugarfree starbucks flavors, and good beans, and you can make a pretty comparable Skinny Vanilla or Hazlenut Latte to what they would serve you at Starbucks - which is a lot cheaper, and then when you are ready to move on to the next level of coffee, you can decide if you want to make the investment to get some better gear - everyone has to start somewhere and that is where I started at

You can also make some pretty good Vietnamese Iced Coffee, fire a double shot of espresso in a mixing tin (cocktail shaker) with roughly 1 Tablespoon of sweet condensed milk with ice, shake, then strain over fresh ice into a glass

The condensed milk will cut the bitterness of the espresso

(yes i know that is not the traditional way to make Ca phe da, but it is pretty close and still a good drink and you are using the espresso machine to do it)

I also find that a bitter espresso makes a good mixture to dip ladyfingers into if you are going to make tiaramisu - gives it more bite than something that was smoother...cuts the sweetness better (or I imagine at least have not tested it with the new machine I plan to get)

Hope some of that is helpful for that price range set up you are looking for - for your budget you can do better than the $20 spice grinder i had been using as well :)
 View Profile Link to this post
JimOD
JimOD
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Saeco Aroma Non Pressurized
Grinder: Baratza Preciso with Esatto
Drip: Bunn NHBX-B
Posted Thu Feb 28, 2013, 11:33am

lordbaltimore Said:

could you amplify on the Saeco line-up? i just joined and asked elsewhere about a new machine i acquired. it does espresso, regular brew, cappucino... these are considered good machines?

Posted February 27, 2013 link

I don't know what model Saeco you acquired, but I can speak to the Saeco Aroma.  I have one paired with the Baratza Preciso, and it makes great espresso if you're willing to put in a little time.  I removed the pressurizing assembly from the PF.  I have a fast reading digital thermometer to determine the best temp surf timing.  I weigh and time each shot.  I read alot on Coffee Geek and Home-Barista.  I was also lucky in that I have two incredibly knowledgable local cafes.  One is Portola Coffee Lab, and the other is Martin Dietrich's cafe.  I was able to get their freshly roasted beans, and compare my shots to their shots to begin to learn what espresso tasted like.

So far I have not been able to produce microfoam, but I haven't spent nearly the time on that issue.  I am beginning to concentrate on it now, and hope to overcome the machine's steaming capabilities.  There are some posters here who are able to make microfoam with this machine, so I think there's hope.

My tongue is burned
 View Profile Link to this post
showing page 3 of 3 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Espresso machine...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.353160858154)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+