Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Office Control vs La Nuova Era Cuadra
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Office Control...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 4 last page next page
Author Messages
tdifraia

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: QM67
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Drip: Bunn
Posted Mon Jan 21, 2013, 4:56pm
Subject: Office Control vs La Nuova Era Cuadra

Never in my wildest dreams did I think it would be this hard to pick my espresso machine. I finally got my grinder (Vario). Now I am trying to find a good HX machine for the best price. Of course value is just as important as is the final price. I am looking at $950 - Expobar Office Control and $1095 for the La Nuova Era Cuadra V2. Thats $145 in favor of the Expobar. I am a newbie and this would be my first purchase. I am looking at pulling 4 - 6 shots a day, including using the shots for Lattes, Cappas, and Cremas. The reason for the HX is I will be doing a few Lattes in the AM and do not want to wait in between. So I was wondering if anyone could help me decide between these 2 machines. Do either have a history I do not know about? I have searched and found mostly positives on both machines. A very nice thread on the La Nuova. I think if the La Nuova was the same price I would be going in this direction. Mainly because of what I have seen from Jim at 1st-line. He seems to bend over backwards to satisfy his customers, and from my own experience and my reading on here Jim gets an A+++ from me. Good honest customer service is hard to find these days. I would be remiss to NOT mention the tons of great reviews, posts, and answered emails on this forum! GREAT bunch of people and admins here! I would be driving blind without this particular forum. Any input on these 2 machines?
 View Profile Link to this post
SStones
SStones
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Giga 5, ECM Giotto, Rocket...
Grinder: Anfim Milano-Best
Vac Pot: No  :(
Drip: Some $30 thing from Walmart
Roaster: I buy pre-roasted.
Posted Mon Jan 21, 2013, 8:10pm
Subject: Re: Office Control vs La Nuova Era Cuadra

Go to dealers of both machines, talk to the dealers. Ask them questions! Take notes and make sure they're answering your questions directly. Write down your results along with your notes. In addition to to the direct questions, ask for opinions. Tell them what you consider important, and ask if they think certain machines fit those criteria.
It is far better to make a decision based on answers that you've deemed honest to represent the machine you want than to end up with a disappointing machine that the seller managed to get $1000 of your dollars for.  We see repeated stories of U.S. dealers here selling Cuadras with 6.3 amp fuses instead of 15 amp ones..  When confronted thay respond "There's no fuse in this machine"...  When the fuse is proven they switch tactic to "We don't know anything about this machine, it's a good bargain and we don't need to know anything about whether or not it has a fuse", to eventually "Yes, it has a fuse in a previously unknown drawer in the IEC connector that we couldn't have known of".  That's okay, don't worry about the fuse, that's old news.  Now another bunch of dealers don't/didn't/can't know that the promised "Insulated boilers" aren't insulated. Maybe it's the same ones, they copy each other's names, they'll blame their competitors. Always look the salesperson in the eye.  (S)He's about to end up with your money, you end up with something that is as good as your research says.
Anyway, at least they're not like the bargain unloaders selling the 240V machines in North america with only the element, powerboard and pump changed.  That infuriates me. Be sure to meet your salesperson. Question your salesperson. If they really love the machine, they'll know why. It's okay to judge people who want your money. Make your salesperson prove that the wiring is all UL approved for sale in North America. Make your salesperson show you a rating on your IEC connector proving it's rated for more than 14 amps. Unscrew it and look at the ratings stamped on it.  Make your salesperson prove that the machine is possible to set to your parameters.
It seems obvious that you know exactly what you want.  Make your salesperson prove that that's what you'll get for your $grand. They are getting paid to serve you. Even if it's only 2%, that's $20 for helping you for a half hour.  I happily did it for free.  (Though I might not have been as polite as they should).

There.  How's that for a new take on the "Ask yourself these questions" spam-response?
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Mon Jan 21, 2013, 8:52pm

tdifraia Said:

Any input on these 2 machines?

Posted January 21, 2013 link

Between the two?  La Nuova, hands down.

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
tdifraia

Posted Tue Jan 22, 2013, 6:25am

Excellent post, and very sound advice. I thank you and will follow it.

SStones Said:

Go to dealers of both machines, talk to the dealers. Ask them questions! Take notes and make sure they're answering your questions directly. Write down your results along with your notes. In addition to to the direct questions, ask for opinions. Tell them what you consider important, and ask if they think certain machines fit those criteria.
It is far better to make a decision based on answers that you've deemed honest to represent the machine you want than to end up with a disappointing machine that the seller managed to get $1000 of your dollars for.  We see repeated stories of U.S. dealers here selling Cuadras with 6.3 amp fuses instead of 15 amp ones..  When confronted thay respond "There's no fuse in this machine"...  When the fuse is proven they switch tactic to "We don't know anything about this machine, it's a good bargain and we don't need to know anything about whether or not it has a fuse", to eventually "Yes, it has a fuse in a previously unknown drawer in the IEC connector that we couldn't have known of".  That's okay, don't worry about the fuse, that's old news.  Now another bunch of dealers don't/didn't/can't know that the promised "Insulated boilers" aren't insulated. Maybe it's the same ones, they copy each other's names, they'll blame their competitors. Always look the salesperson in the eye.  (S)He's about to end up with your money, you end up with something that is as good as your research says.
Anyway, at least they're not like the bargain unloaders selling the 240V machines in North america with only the element, powerboard and pump changed.  That infuriates me. Be sure to meet your salesperson. Question your salesperson. If they really love the machine, they'll know why. It's okay to judge people who want your money. Make your salesperson prove that the wiring is all UL approved for sale in North America. Make your salesperson show you a rating on your IEC connector proving it's rated for more than 14 amps. Unscrew it and look at the ratings stamped on it.  Make your salesperson prove that the machine is possible to set to your parameters.
It seems obvious that you know exactly what you want.  Make your salesperson prove that that's what you'll get for your $grand. They are getting paid to serve you. Even if it's only 2%, that's $20 for helping you for a half hour.  I happily did it for free.  (Though I might not have been as polite as they should).

There.  How's that for a new take on the "Ask yourself these questions" spam-response?

tdifraia

Posted Tue Jan 22, 2013, 7:43am

I noticed the La Nuova has the intertek ETL marking on it. That is usually a very good indication that it has been inspected passed a high level of safety checks.
SStones
SStones

Espresso: Giga 5, ECM Giotto, Rocket...
Grinder: Anfim Milano-Best
Vac Pot: No  :(
Drip: Some $30 thing from Walmart
Roaster: I buy pre-roasted.
Posted Wed Jan 23, 2013, 6:47pm

Good point about the ETL sticker.  I expect that most consumers don't check for UL/ETL/CSA/etc. Stickers, we really assume that we won't be able to purchase anything that isn't up to par. I don't see those ones, they're still working perfectly.
So! In addition to getting relevant answers that matter to your expectations, look for the conformity sticker.
Thank you, tdifraia.
coffee_no_sugar

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: pavoni pub, brasilia club
Grinder: mazzer sj, mdf, infinity
Drip: melitta clarity
Roaster: popcorn
Posted Wed Jan 23, 2013, 9:53pm

With two similar espresso machines, maybe you should look beyond the machine.  How about

Local dealer?
Support by dealer or others?
Ease of repair?  Shipping needed?
Current availability of parts: knobs? drip tray? boiler? price for commonly replaced parts?, multiple sources?  
Future parts availability?
tdifraia

Posted Thu Jan 24, 2013, 6:54am

Thats exactly where I am at now. They both have similiar results. I am really pleased with both of these machines and there other redeeming qualities as you have listed. I really can not go wrong. 1st-line and WLL are both VERY reputable dealers who have parts, no shipping costs. The only thing I can see is one has a plastic drip tray the other stainless, but is a few $100 more. Now I am looking at a Bezzera BZ10. Like I said in the original thread NEVER did I imagine this would be so hard to do. My Vario is getting impatient waiting for its MATE!! I also got a REALLY great review and wealth of INFO on the CUADRA .. pretty much breaking down the machine to the point where I feel like I know this machine as if I owned it. Soooo I will just sit here and procrastinate some more.

coffee_no_sugar Said:

With two similar espresso machines, maybe you should look beyond the machine.  How about

Local dealer?
Support by dealer or others?
Ease of repair?  Shipping needed?
Current availability of parts: knobs? drip tray? boiler? price for commonly replaced parts?, multiple sources?  
Future parts availability?

Posted January 23, 2013 link

1stline
1stline

Espresso: Undisclosed
Grinder: Indisclosed
Vac Pot: Bodum Electric
Drip: None
Roaster: None
Posted Thu Jan 24, 2013, 11:48am

SStones Said:

Anyway, at least they're not like the bargain unloaders selling the 240V machines in North america with only the element, powerboard and pump changed.  That infuriates me.

Stephen, which company do you work for or own?

Sincerely,
Jim Piccinich
Business Partner
1st-line Equipment, LLC
www.1st-line.com

Follow us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/1stline
Twitter: http://twitter.com/1stline
Blog: http://1st-line.blogspot.com/
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/1stlineespresso
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
1stline
1stline

Espresso: Undisclosed
Grinder: Indisclosed
Vac Pot: Bodum Electric
Drip: None
Roaster: None
Posted Thu Jan 24, 2013, 11:55am

Tommy,

Thanks for your interest in Cuadra. We have our parts selection here.

As for machines, we do have a limited inventory of a blue panel Cuadra model currently starting at $949.

You can email me any questions you have to the sales address on our web site. You are more than welcome to visit in NJ.

Sincerely,
Jim Piccinich
Business Partner
1st-line Equipment, LLC
www.1st-line.com

Follow us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/1stline
Twitter: http://twitter.com/1stline
Blog: http://1st-line.blogspot.com/
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/1stlineespresso
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
showing page 1 of 4 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Office Control...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.408890008926)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+