Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Does anyone still use their spout PF?
Don't suffer bad espresso
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, VBM, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Does anyone...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 3 first page previous page
Author Messages
jwoodyu
jwoodyu
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Allex Duetto II
Grinder: Mazzer Major
Posted Sat Feb 16, 2013, 6:12pm
Subject: Re: Does anyone still use their spout PF?

JasonBrandtLewis Said:

Typically, the naked pf produces -- to my palate -- a more rustic, "coarse" shot; the "regular" one is more refined, more integrated, smooth.

Posted February 16, 2013 link

That is about a great job articulating the difference. I only thaw enough beans for one day at the time so my grinder changes are tiny day to day anyway.

So one picture with the spouted and one with my bottomless. Both are 18g dose and 36g yield and from the same batch of beans. The spouted took me just a couple of seconds longer to snap the picture fumbling with my iPhone but you can see the line on the shot glass before the collapse started. So the spouted shot was about 25% crema by volume and the bottomless about 80%.

I know i prefer the spouted and always assumed it was the crema head but heck it could be the temp. One of my deadbeat buddies borrowed my fluke so i can't test the temp thing but I will when i get it back.

jwoodyu: photo.JPG
(Click for larger image)

Yes i have a reason for leaving SCG off my list, yes it is my opinion, yes it is subjective as opinions are by definition, no don't start a flame war because you disagree.
 View Profile Link to this post
jwoodyu
jwoodyu

Espresso: Allex Duetto II
Grinder: Mazzer Major
Posted Sat Feb 16, 2013, 6:13pm

Next one

jwoodyu: photo-1.JPG
(Click for larger image)

Yes i have a reason for leaving SCG off my list, yes it is my opinion, yes it is subjective as opinions are by definition, no don't start a flame war because you disagree.
Endo
Endo
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: machine is < important than...
Grinder: !
Posted Sat Feb 16, 2013, 8:41pm

Bubbles increase on the bottomless because the coffee falls from a higher height ( much like doing latte art). Also, the spout breaks up bubbles as it runs across the spout surface.

Personally, I hate too much crema. It's like drinking Guiness before it has settled properly. The spout accelerates this process so I don't need to wait so long before drinking.
Spitz
Spitz

Espresso: VBM DD v3
Grinder: Compak K10 PB
Vac Pot: Hario Vac
Drip: 8c Chemex, Hario Hand-Drip,...
Roaster: Hottop P
Posted Sat Feb 16, 2013, 8:52pm

I use the naked pf essentially 100%.  Occasionally I'll  use my really nice LM spouted, but even though I take care of my gear I always think the floor of the PF isn't clean enough.  It's more work for me as I'll remove the basket between shots and make sure there's no coffee residue below the basket.  It's not a good use of my time...  Try stirring your espresso so you don't feel the need to use a spout for no real reason at all...  Spouts are only useful if you're going to actually split the shot...
D4F

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Sat Feb 16, 2013, 8:59pm

Endo Said:

Bubbles increase on the bottomless because the coffee falls from a higher height ( much like doing latte art).

Posted February 16, 2013 link

Interesting, I use the spouted PF, but the spouts are off, so just a central spout.  It gives me a bit more room.  I will get a pull with mostly crema that then settles, more like the illustration with with the naked above than the spouted.  Perhaps you have given the reason.

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
showing page 3 of 3 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Does anyone...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.385555028915)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+