Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Temporarily upgrade to Gaggia or Silvia?
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Temporarily...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
tinytot2

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: NS Oscar
Grinder: Vario W
Drip: Breville YouBrew
Posted Thu Feb 14, 2013, 6:36am
Subject: Temporarily upgrade to Gaggia or Silvia?

Right now I'm using an old Starbucks Barista.  I'm tired of the wet puck, slow steaming, & small portafilter, etc etc.

Is it worthwhile to get a Gaggia or Silvia to tide me over for a year?   I know they steam slowly, too.

My goal is to get a dual boiler, even though I only make one double / latte at a time a couple times per day.
 View Profile Link to this post
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Thu Feb 14, 2013, 7:44am
Subject: Re: Temporarily upgrade to Gaggia or Silvia?

tinytot2 Said:

Right now I'm using an old Starbucks Barista.  I'm tired of the wet puck, slow steaming, & small portafilter, etc etc. Is it worthwhile to get a Gaggia or Silvia to tide me over for a year?   I know they steam slowly, too.

Posted February 14, 2013 link

"Slowly" is a relative term.  Compared to what?

I used a Gaggia for 25 years and was perfectly happy with it.

tinytot2 Said:

My goal is to get a dual boiler, even though I only make one double / latte at a time a couple times per day.

Can you say "overkill"?

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
tinytot2

Espresso: NS Oscar
Grinder: Vario W
Drip: Breville YouBrew
Posted Thu Feb 14, 2013, 8:08am

JasonBrandtLewis Said:

"Slowly" is a relative term.  Compared to what?

I used a Gaggia for 25 years and was perfectly happy with it.

Can you say "overkill"?

I know it's overkill hence the "even though" in my original post.  There was no need to be snotty.  But thanks, at least I got my answer.

ADDING that I'm hoping to host some parties around the holidays in the distant future (a few years)... but didn't think I needed to write my entire life freaking story in my post.
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Thu Feb 14, 2013, 9:56am

You can just say you wish to entertain at the holidays.  An upgraded grinder will give you more bang for buck and you can keep it when you get a better machine later.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4, Pharos,...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Thu Feb 14, 2013, 9:58am

If your *$$ Barista machine is in good working order, I would consider it a waste of money to do your proposed temporary upgrade.  You'd be better off saving your money.

using cars as an analogy.  you're basically saying...I have an old Nissan Versa.  I want an Infiniti G, but should I get a Sentra to tide me over?

and like Helen said...you are really better off upgrading your grinder at this point.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Thu Feb 14, 2013, 3:22pm

Yup!

/\/\/\/\/\

tinytot2 Said:

I know it's overkill hence the "even though" in my original post.  There was no need to be snotty.  But thanks, at least I got my answer.  
ADDING that I'm hoping to host some parties around the holidays in the distant future (a few years)... but didn't think I needed to write my entire life freaking story in my post.

Actually, I wasn't being "snotty" at all -- but people here can only respond to what information you provide.  And you provided very little.

tinytot2 Said:

Without the newly stated desire of hosting parties -- but, truly, how many times will that happen? -- spending $$$$ on a DB for possible one or two drinks a day IS overkill, and (IMHO) a waste of money . . . but, of course, it's your money, so . . .

On the other hand, my point about the Gaggia -- and here, I admit, I wasn't as clear as I could have been -- it that I was perfectly happy with a Gaggia for 25 years, and felt no need to upgrade . . . until I was making more than one drink at a time, once or twice a day.

And Helen is absolutely right:  upgrade the grinder!

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
myallawala
myallawala

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Mazzer Major & Baratza Vario
Vac Pot: Yama Burner
Drip: Hario V60 & Chemex
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Thu Feb 14, 2013, 5:42pm

JasonBrandtLewis has almost 6000 posts and 8 years on CG.. he's got my ears!

I know where's you're coming from though, darkow. You sound like the type that should just go big right off the bat because you will ALWAYS be wondering. It took me 5-6 machines before being pretty happy for more than a year (and going).
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Fri Feb 15, 2013, 10:06am

I went the other route and did a lot of research for bang for my buck.  I am still happy with my first real machine more than a year later.  It was used and needed a few repairs. I did add a few things that make me love it even more.  But it had the power what I did just added more control.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Jmanespresso
Jmanespresso

Espresso: Alex Duetto II
Grinder: Compak K10 - Vario
Vac Pot: Yama-SY5/SY8/TCA5
Drip: V60, Beehouse, CCD
Roaster: Hottop B
Posted Fri Feb 15, 2013, 10:21am

You make one latte or double shot at a time, couple times a day.

That to me, sounds like every single one of us when we got our first espresso machine.  Not the real one, the first one.  Same as what you have now.  You're actually a step up, the Barista is a workable first machine.

However, once you get into a better machine, you're consumption goes up.  Its easy to turn a morning latte into two or three when making one takes less then two minutes start to finish.  

Im a dual boiler guy, I DO prefer them to HX machines, even though I will defend to death an HXs ability to make great coffee.  I just find it much less of a hassle to use a dual boiler, and I enjoy the process that much more.  But, everyone is different.  Jason for instance will tell you that he has absolutely NO DESIRE at all to get a dual boiler.  He very much enjoys his HX machine(true, its one of the best in the HX class), and will defend them to the death.  Rightfully so, both make good coffee.  Its the way you operate them that set them apart, and for the most part, I find dual boilers superior in that regard.

I wouldn't upgrade your machine right now.  Id either buy a titan class grinder, or buy nothing, and buy the new machine and grinder together.  The grinder should be at the very least, a Super Jolly.  Really, if youre looking at top end dual boilers, you should have a top end grinder to go with it and be able to enjoy what the machine is capable of. The Super Jolly is the starting point.  You can jump into a mazzer major(my preffered titan grinder, an absolute beast of a grinder), or go to a conical like the Compak K10 or Fiorenzato Doge Conico.  THAT is where you'll see the improvement, even on your current machine, and definitely on an upgraded machine.

Follow Your Bliss

Coffee makes your constantly overcome your prejudices and re-evaluate your own "received wisdoms" when it comes to judging cup flavors. -Tom Owen, SweetMarias
 View Profile Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
takeshi
takeshi

Espresso: Alex Duetto 3.0
Grinder: Super Jolly
Roaster: Amaya Roasting
Posted Fri Feb 15, 2013, 11:09am

tinytot2 Said:

Is it worthwhile to get a Gaggia or Silvia to tide me over for a year?

I wouldn't think so but worth is always highly subjective and the next person might think it to be worth while.  To me, it's more of a sidestep as you're going from SBDU to SBDU.  What grinder are you using?
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Temporarily...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.486874103546)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+