Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Can anyone tell me anything about this machine?
Guatemala Classic Bourbon
Temblor - exceptionally smooth, rich coffee with notes of spice, cinnamon, and chocolate. Only at
www.thelostgringo.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Can anyone tell...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
afchad

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Mon Feb 11, 2013, 1:39am
Subject: Can anyone tell me anything about this machine?

]Click Here (i273.photobucket.com)cant seem to find any info on it.  is S.A.S. a brand?

At any rate I have a chance to pick it up for under 300.  Thanks in advance, Chad
 View Profile Link to this post
frank828

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: GS3
Grinder: RoburE, Kenia
Vac Pot: Hario
Drip: Brazen, CCD, Aeropress, V60,...
Roaster: Behmor, Air Crazy
Posted Mon Feb 11, 2013, 1:40am
Subject: Re: Can anyone tell me anything about this machine?

i'd skip it.

never seen one but it doesnt look like it'd be worth that much.  if it ever breaks, good luck fixing it too.
NobbyR
NobbyR
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Poccino Opus One, Ariete
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Istantaneo
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Melitta Linea Unica de Luxe
Roaster: N/A
Posted Mon Feb 11, 2013, 2:04am

I venture it's a thermoblock SBDU machine. I has an integrated grinder (which is mostly inferior, also the heat from the boiler can lead to warming of the beans inside the hopper, which desintegrates their aroma), a steam wand with a panarello (which is useless for making microfoam suitable for latte art), and might just have pressurized baskets or a pressuized portafilter (not sure about that, but if it does, you won't be able to brew decent espresso). Also it's not a common brand, in fact I never heard of it before, so it will be hard to get spare parts.

I'd skip that offer.

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
alanfrew
alanfrew

Posted Mon Feb 11, 2013, 3:05am

I can't be specific without taking a look at the insides, but it looks a lot like the 53mm version of the Lelit Combi, or in North America the La Pavoni Napoletana Combi. If it's got a brass boiler inside, it will be a good starter machine, the grinder is excellent for espresso. Ignore the BS about "the heat from the boiler warming the beans", it is simply ignorance and is not backed up by actual experimental data from someone who has either owned or tested these machines.

IF the group is 53mm and IF the boiler is brass then all the bits and pieces will be Saeco compatible and easily available. If it's got an aluminium boiler, run away.

Alan
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
NobbyR
NobbyR

Espresso: Poccino Opus One, Ariete
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Istantaneo
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Melitta Linea Unica de Luxe
Roaster: N/A
Posted Mon Feb 11, 2013, 3:23am

alanfrew Said:

... it looks a lot like the 53mm version of the Lelit Combi, ...

Posted February 11, 2013 link

I agree, there's a certain resemblance, but the hopper, the switches and the dial are all on the other side.

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
afchad

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Mon Feb 11, 2013, 4:23am

mmmm i guess ill pass, the individual said they pd over 1000 for it.  Im just not a gmbler like that...i prefer a near sure thing...Thanks for all the quick replies
SStones
SStones

Espresso: Giga 5, ECM Giotto, Rocket...
Grinder: Anfim Milano-Best
Vac Pot: No  :(
Drip: Some $30 thing from Walmart
Roaster: I buy pre-roasted.
Posted Mon Feb 11, 2013, 5:00am

If it's the sort of thing you want, then $300 is a reasonable price to pay. You can always sell it in three years for $250. Counting the buttons shows that it does not have a three way valve (It would have a separate brew button AND water button) but it is a clone of the cheaper lines Mokita/IMAT/Pavoni machines of that type.
dyqik

Espresso: Bezzera BZ07 PM
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso Preciso...
Vac Pot: Cona D
Drip: Bona-Vita, CCD, Aeropress.
Roaster: Gene Cafe, Modded Poppers
Posted Mon Feb 11, 2013, 9:56am

SStones Said:

If it's the sort of thing you want, then $300 is a reasonable price to pay. You can always sell it in three years for $250. Counting the buttons shows that it does not have a three way valve (It would have a separate brew button AND water button) but it is a clone of the cheaper lines Mokita/IMAT/Pavoni machines of that type.

Posted February 11, 2013 link

The Gaggia Classic doesn't have separate brew and water buttons, and has a three way valve, so that's not necessarily true.  Pressing the steam switch and brew switch together turns the pump on without opening the group valve to give hot water from the steam wand.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Can anyone tell...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Saeco Espresso Machines
Large selection in-stock, includes Free Gifts and Free Shipping!
www.espressozone.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.400527000427)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+