Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
DeLonghi EC155 (and EC152CD, EC310, etc.) Modification Guide & Ideas
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > DeLonghi EC155...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 17 of 19 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
flibble

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Sat Jan 18, 2014, 8:31am
Subject: Re: DeLonghi EC155 (and EC152CD, EC310, etc.) Modification Guide & Ideas

Hi guys, I recieved a couple of filters today and I thought an update might be useful for fellow ec330s owners.

Unfortunately the 607706 filter doesn't fit unless you convert the portafilter as described earlier (gets stuck on the screw), also the basket is narrower and so a52mm tamper is too big.

Fortunately I also bought part number 6032109900 which is a perfect fit!  

Thanks all

M
 View Profile Link to this post
afelds

Espresso: De'Longhi EC155
Grinder: Porlex JP-30
Posted Wed Jan 29, 2014, 4:55pm
Subject: Re: DeLonghi EC155 (and EC152CD, EC310, etc.) Modification Guide & Ideas

I'm also trying to find a good unpressurized portafilter for the EC155. I wrote a bunch on my quest over here, before finding this thread: http://coffeegeek.com/forums/espresso/machines/657188#657188

I found that the 607706, in addition to not fitting in my basket, also does not fully fit over the grouphead (machine purchased Dec '13) - has anyone else run into this? I wish I had found this thread before purchasing the basket....

The La Pavoni Millenium basket that is recommended by Seattle Coffee gear is available for $25 + ~$9 shipping at http://www.espressoparts.com/MP68.

I was able to find the 6032109900 on De'Longhi's European parts website, but I can't seem to find an equivalent for the U.S. distributor. On the phone with them now.

In trying to avoid buying a $34 basket for my $80 EC155, I am looking at the Krups 0907163. Waiting to confirm with the seller if it's pressurized or unpressurized. Click Here (www.marbeck.com)

Thanks for all the helpful thoughts y'all!
iluvmysh

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Wed Jan 29, 2014, 5:00pm

afelds Said:

I'm also trying to find a good unpressurized portafilter for the EC155. I wrote a bunch on my quest over here, before finding this thread: http://coffeegeek.com/forums/espresso/machines/657188#657188

I found that the 607706, in addition to not fitting in my basket, also does not fully fit over the grouphead (machine purchased Dec '13) - has anyone else run into this? I wish I had found this thread before purchasing the basket....

The La Pavoni Millenium basket that is recommended by Seattle Coffee gear is available for $25 + ~$9 shipping at http://www.espressoparts.com/MP68.

I was able to find the 6032109900 on De'Longhi's European parts website, but I can't seem to find an equivalent for the U.S. distributor. On the phone with them now.

In trying to avoid buying a $34 basket for my $80 EC155, I am looking at the Krups 0907163. Waiting to confirm with the seller if it's pressurized or unpressurized. Click Here (www.marbeck.com)

Thanks for all the helpful thoughts y'all!

Posted January 29, 2014 link

do NOT buy the 0907163.  I purchased it last month from marbeck.  There is only 1 pinhole exit on the bottom of the filter, which makes this filter pressurized.  Look at the previous page for more info.  again, do NOT buy it if you're looking for a depressurized filter.  Good thing it was only like $4-$5.  

I'm with you RE: the Millennium basket.  $34 for a basket is too rich for my blood.  Right now, I just unscrewed the black thing on the bottom and took out the plastic components in the stock filter.
afelds

Posted Wed Jan 29, 2014, 5:52pm

Since the 607706 basket is only $2 and replacement portafilter is only $7 from the De'Longhi parts distributor (and their shipping is very reasonable), I think I'm going to try cutting the bottom off. Very cheap to go back to the unmodified portafilter, especially compared to the cost of just the La Pavoni basket.

Off to find my Dremel!
iluvmysh

Posted Thu Jan 30, 2014, 7:37am

afelds Said:

Since the 607706 basket is only $2 and replacement portafilter is only $7 from the De'Longhi parts distributor (and their shipping is very reasonable), I think I'm going to try cutting the bottom off. Very cheap to go back to the unmodified portafilter, especially compared to the cost of just the La Pavoni basket.

Off to find my Dremel!

Posted January 29, 2014 link

i will be doing the same!
do you happen to know which one is the 1-cup version of the filter basket that's readily available?

edit: i also ordered the 1 cup filter: 607836.  some items are back-ordered until 2/6/2014 though.
afelds

Posted Sun Feb 9, 2014, 1:39pm

Just pulled my first good shot of espresso ever, with the EC155! Cut the plastic out of the way and trimmed away the screw so I could use a bigger basket. I used 15 grams of beans so it came out pretty slow, but for the first time I could taste almost the same flavor as when these beans were used in my local shop (though I did dark stop it). Updosing also got the sour/bitter tastes to go away. Trying next with 13.5 grams to get the time down from 45+ seconds, and hoping the flavor stays strong. I'm using click #2 on my Porlex JP-30 grinder.  

For anyone diagnosing extraction problems, this page is pure gold. I haven't found a more condensed and useful source of information anywhere else: Click Here (www.home-barista.com)

Here's a video that showed me exactly how to cut/grind the portafilter: http://vimeo.com/24087505

Still having a big problem though. As I mentioned above, the 607706 basket I ordered direct from De'Longhi gets stuck on the grouphead when I take off the portafilter. I have to pull it off and end up burning my fingers every time. Can anyone recommend a basket with a slightly larger diameter? This seems to be a problem of a couple millimeters....

Thanks for all the help y'all!

EDIT:

If anyone needs a scale, this is cheap and good, I've had it for years: Click Here (www.amazon.com)

I was able to more easily remove the stuck basket by rocking the portafilter against it as I pulled it off. Not ideal but will work until another basket is found. The grouphead appears to be safe from getting damaged. It seems to have a black teflon-type coating on the edges, so maybe that will help prevent issues for now.

I did a 13.5 gram shot. It came out in ~35 seconds and I pulled the cup away as it got less creamy. The sourness/bitterness is back. I let this shot go to a higher volume than the 15 gram one, which might've done it. I'm not confident in my tamping yet so hopefully that wasn't the issue. It could also be that the machine is hotter than the first shot, and it burned the beans, even though I pulled an empty shot first to warm the portafilter - this isn't as likely as the volume issue but I'll try two empty shots sometime. The puck was more watery than the 15 gram shot, but both were like goop anyways. The green light on the EC155 stayed on to about 30-35 seconds.

Since it comes down to taste in the end, I'm content to keep doing 15 gram shots that take 45 seconds if I can't get 13.5g ones dialed in right. For that shot, the green light was on till ~40 seconds into it, around when I pulled the cup away for something between a ristretto and normale. A slightly coarser grind (#3 on the Porlex JP-30) might also get the timing better.

I hope these details help others out. It's hard to find a resource that explains all of the variables together.
Nickfrogger
Nickfrogger
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia V3 w/PID,...
Grinder: Lelit PL53, Baratza Maestro
Vac Pot: Yama TCA-5 Siphon
Drip: V60 (A red one!)
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Wed Mar 5, 2014, 2:03am

It's been a while, and I just came across this nifty video of some stellar latte art produced with an Ec155.

Cheers!

There's a big difference between drinking coffee to wake up and waking up to drink coffee.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
mattopaipa

Espresso: Delonghi Bar32
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso
Posted Sat May 3, 2014, 11:56am

Hey folks! I recently bought a DeLonghi Bar32 (identical internals to EC155 and very similar in every way I know of other than outward appearance). Previously my favorite ways to make coffee at home were with pour-over and sometimes also with moka pot and pan-heated milk. I use a Baratza Virtuoso grinder, and buy freshly roasted beans from a small local roaster called Forge, and also from Intelligentsia. When I tried the Bar32, I was disappointed by a lack of flavor. My cappuccinos were simply not rich enough. After much research in these amazingly helpful forums, I found the multitude of reasons for this. Luckily for me, I also found solutions.

First I modded the "not-quite-double shot" filter basket by removing the pressurizing doomahicky as many others have done. I did not notice immediate improvement, but that was largely because of my own technique. Shot was bitter with thin light-colored crema. However, I was using a crappy plastic tamper that was too small.

I ordered this heavy-duty stainless steel 51mm vktech tamper: Click Here (www.amazon.com)

I learned a lot from reading this forum, and also from articles linked on this forum such as this one: http://www.home-barista.com/naked-extraction.html

I set the grinder to an extremely fine setting, a bit finer than I'd been using before (just one step from maximum fineness). I practiced applying 30 lbs of tamper pressure using my bathroom scale. I found that the new tamper was about a millimeter smaller than the filter basket, but still my shots improved enough to encourage me to move to the next level.

I ordered the DeLonghi 607706 2-Cup Filter Basket from The Gourmet Depot. I sawed off the plastic bottom of the filter holder that came with the Bar32, removed (with pliers and a metal file) the screw socket from the filter holder (the pot metal was easy to work with using files and sand paper), and I had to sand and file just a bit all the way around the bottom of the metal filter holder to get the filter basket to fit well. This may sound like it was a pain in the neck, but actually it was not big deal. I had a purpose, and it was not a drag.  :)

This morning I loaded just under 18g of finely-ground coffee that was roasted five days ago into the filter basket, found that the 51mm tamper fits this new filter basket PERFECTLY (which makes the tamping easier because I don't miss any pressure on the sides), and I was able to pull a very nice shot (apprx 28 sec) with rich, deep crema that resulted in a totally satisfying cappuccino. I think with a little more practice, I will be able to fairly consistently get results I can enjoy with this machine. I think I'll even spend some time in the latte art section of the forum and see if I can make some pretty pictures. I am really looking forward to making coffee for my girlfriend tomorrow morning.  :)

It has been suggested that the capacity of the 607706 filter basket is too large. I think the capacity is fine. You don't need to fill it up all the way. In fact, having a little extra clearance at the top ensures that your puck does not scrape against the group head and have its structural integrity compromised.

I will point out that (as has been noted in this thread), the 607706 filter basket often remains stuck to the group head. I use a potholder to remove it without burning my fingers.  :)  I am not sure to what extent this is due to the filter basket having a slightly smaller inner diameter, or just to the fact that it doesn't have the ridges that keep it stationary in the filter holder like the stock filters do. Anyway, I am willing to live with this minor inconvenience, because the coffee tastes good, the machine was inexpensive but is still effective, and I think I need to try to get three years or so of use, practice, and learning from this machine before stepping up to something else.

Big thanks to all the helpful folks on this forum that helped point me in the right directions as I lurked here invisibly. Also, thanks Nickfrogger for posting the latte art EC155 video. That has probably set me on to exploring that path now!  :)

Cheers!
Matt
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Seion

Espresso: Delonghi EC155
Grinder: None (Yet)
Posted Fri May 16, 2014, 5:12am

Hello everyone,

I recently purchased the Delonghi EC155 as my first espresso machine. I am new to making espresso and really enjoy coffee. I've had the machine for about a week now and have been using lavazza Cream of Gusto or what ever ( I know pre-ground is not good now after reading a bunch but will have to use it till I can purchase a good grinder ). I have not modded the machine yet but I have ordered the following items in-order to start modding the PF.

https://www.encompassparts.com/item/10156193/Delonghi/7313280779/Sump (Delonghi PF) - This is the PF I will Mod.

https://www.encompassparts.com/item/9610683/Delonghi/607706/2_Cup_Filter (Delonghi 2 Cup Filter) - This is the new filter I will use for unpressurized brew.

http://www.javaxotic.com/stainless-steel-tamper-52mm/ (52mm Stainless Steel Tamper) - $20 bucks with shipping - The new tamper I will use.

I also plan on ordering a grinder and finding a place to buy fresh grounds for, but for now pre-ground is it.

I currently get ok shots from the EC155, I still have a lot of practicing to do. I will update when I get all the parts and try some un-pressurized shots. Thanks for all the previous posts informations.
CMIN

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Fri May 16, 2014, 6:07am

Seion Said:

Hello everyone,

I recently purchased the Delonghi EC155 as my first espresso machine. I am new to making espresso and really enjoy coffee. I've had the machine for about a week now and have been using lavazza Cream of Gusto or what ever ( I know pre-ground is not good now after reading a bunch but will have to use it till I can purchase a good grinder ). I have not modded the machine yet but I have ordered the following items in-order to start modding the PF.

https://www.encompassparts.com/item/10156193/Delonghi/7313280779/Sump (Delonghi PF) - This is the PF I will Mod.

https://www.encompassparts.com/item/9610683/Delonghi/607706/2_Cup_Filter (Delonghi 2 Cup Filter) - This is the new filter I will use for unpressurized brew.

http://www.javaxotic.com/stainless-steel-tamper-52mm/ (52mm Stainless Steel Tamper) - $20 bucks with shipping - The new tamper I will use.

I also plan on ordering a grinder and finding a place to buy fresh grounds for, but for now pre-ground is it.

I currently get ok shots from the EC155, I still have a lot of practicing to do. I will update when I get all the parts and try some un-pressurized shots. Thanks for all the previous posts informations.

Posted May 16, 2014 link

just remember to budget right for an espresso grinder when you depressurize/go to a normal basket, a $100 or cheap store burr grinder won't work. Expect to spend around $300 or so for entry level espresso grinder as just a heads up.
showing page 17 of 19 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > DeLonghi EC155...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Craft Roasted Coffee
Some days you make the coffee. Other days the coffee makes you.
bit.ly/craftroasting-ks
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.663104057312)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+