Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
DeLonghi EC155 (and EC152CD, EC310, etc.) Modification Guide & Ideas
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > DeLonghi EC155...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 10 of 19 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
Burner0000

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia, VFA Expres...
Grinder: Macap MX/VFA N1464/Kyocera...
Drip: Manual Drip, French Press
Roaster: Behmor 1600 / Sonofresco
Posted Tue Oct 9, 2012, 7:45am
Subject: Re: DeLonghi EC155 (and EC152CD, EC310, etc.) Modification Guide & Ideas

I am not a huge fan of the RSVP tamper. If you have a local accessories dealer take your basket in in and get a good one.  I find it hard to level the tamp with how you have to hold it.
 View Profile Visit website Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
Nickfrogger
Nickfrogger
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia V3 w/PID,...
Grinder: Lelit PL53, Baratza Maestro
Vac Pot: Yama TCA-5 Siphon
Drip: V60 (A red one!)
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Tue Oct 9, 2012, 8:30am
Subject: Re: DeLonghi EC155 (and EC152CD, EC310, etc.) Modification Guide & Ideas

soad_x83 Said:

I've ordered the basket from fairfax coffee (http://www.fairfaxcoffee.com/), I will post some pics and a comparison to the delonghi baskets I have when it arrives. Thanks brandishwar for the blog!

Posted October 9, 2012 link

Very nice! Have fun.

soad_x83 Said:

Sadly I can't get hold of the RSVP tamper in the UK atm. I've ordered the la pavoni plastic tamper from fairfax coffee to see how that works. A plastic tamper is probably not a very good idea but as I'm now starting to get Mrs. soad a bit upset about my immediate spending.  Let's just say I don't have a good track record for 'the best economical practices' in my hobbies :)

Posted October 9, 2012 link

:D Why are all the fun hobbies the $$$ ones? The pavoni tamper will (assumedly) match the basket well, so that's good.

There's a big difference between drinking coffee to wake up and waking up to drink coffee.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
soad_x83

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Thu Oct 11, 2012, 6:25am

I got the La pavoni basket this morning.

The basket itself is more similar in size to the basket that comes with the machine (but doesn't taper in at the bottom & it doesn't have a horrible rubber gasket (of course)). Visual inspection shows the basket has seemingly more (and smaller) holes than the delonghi one. It seems to be slightly better on the quality side of things.

I followed Kenneth's advice about flattening out the lip. Firstly, I was worried about warping the basket using pliers/wrench so I took a screwdriver and a hammer to it, unfortunately that only got the job half done, so I ended up completing the job with pliers anyway (I was getting inpatient!). Truth be told, I made a bit of a hash of it, I should have just waited until I had more appropriate tools to hand. It's nowhere near flat, but enough to get the basket into the portafilter and lock into the group head - I think it's actually quite forgiving on the flatness as Kenneth notes in his blog!

It sits nicely in the portafilter, a tiny bit looser than the delonghi baskets. In the grouphead it doesn't seem to get stuck like the delonghi ones did. Perhaps this is attributed to its very slightly smaller size?

I've pulled two shots so far, both dosed at 16g, thispretty much fills the basket (I'd say 17g would be the max). The first one came out pretty good (in my list of top shots I've ever pulled (but that doesn't say much)). The second one was a disaster - the basket must not have been locked into the grouphead and water was spewing out everywhere even over the top of the basket.

The la pavoni tamper is even smaller the tamper I have. I used it anyway and even managed to get a shot in the delonghi basket without channelling, but this was with a new coffee so I cannot attribute  

I'm off to pull more shots...
 View Profile Link to this post
brandishwar

Espresso: De'Longhi EC155 with La...
Grinder: Breville Smart Grinder
Posted Thu Oct 11, 2012, 10:00am

soad_x83 Said:

I followed Kenneth's advice about flattening out the lip. Firstly, I was worried about warping the basket using pliers/wrench so I took a screwdriver and a hammer to it, unfortunately that only got the job half done, so I ended up completing the job with pliers anyway (I was getting inpatient!). Truth be told, I made a bit of a hash of it, I should have just waited until I had more appropriate tools to hand. It's nowhere near flat, but enough to get the basket into the portafilter and lock into the group head - I think it's actually quite forgiving on the flatness as Kenneth notes in his blog!

Posted October 11, 2012 link

I think it took me around 15 minutes with a smaller plumber's wrench to get the lip flat. It took a bit of elbow grease, but I got it "flat enough". Seattle Coffee Gear sells La Pavoni baskets with the lip flattened for De'Longhi and older Breville machines, but they send the baskets to someone to have the lips machined flat. If you have the ability to machine it, you should get the best results. Otherwise you pretty much have to either wrench it, like I did, or clamp it to a workbench and take a hammer to it.

soad_x83 Said:

It sits nicely in the portafilter, a tiny bit looser than the delonghi baskets. In the grouphead it doesn't seem to get stuck like the delonghi ones did. Perhaps this is attributed to its very slightly smaller size?

Not sure, but one thing I definitely like about it is that the pucks are reasonably dry after pulling the shot. And its fit is a bit of an annoyance for me as well. I'm looking into retention mechanisms for the portafilter head so the basket doesn't shift around much, with the added benefit that I would not need to use the retention clip when emptying it after a shot. If anyone can point me to anything, I'd appreciate it.

soad_x83 Said:

I've pulled two shots so far, both dosed at 16g, thispretty much fills the basket (I'd say 17g would be the max). The first one came out pretty good (in my list of top shots I've ever pulled (but that doesn't say much)). The second one was a disaster - the basket must not have been locked into the grouphead and water was spewing out everywhere even over the top of the basket.

Yikes! Yeah it must not have been properly positioned. But 16g I'd definitely say is the max you can do on this basket unless you have something, like the yogurt cup, to contain the grounds and keep them from going everywhere. 16g is the most I do, at least, and that's in part because I always get a fluffy grind out of my grinder with the coffee of my choice.

soad_x83 Said:

The la pavoni tamper is even smaller the tamper I have. I used it anyway and even managed to get a shot in the delonghi basket without channelling, but this was with a new coffee so I cannot attribute

How wide is that tamper? I have a 51mm tamper that so far has worked perfectly for me. Definitely look into getting a 51mm full-metal tamper eventually.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
soad_x83

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Thu Oct 11, 2012, 11:47am

brandishwar Said:

I'm looking into retention mechanisms for the portafilter head so the basket doesn't shift around much, with the added benefit that I would not need to use the retention clip when emptying it after a shot. If anyone can point me to anything, I'd appreciate it.

D4F +

MDiddy Said:

Great recommendation!  I was able to drill a 3/16 hole and thread it out using a small, stainless screw.   When I tighten it down now and remove the PF, the basket comes with and no longer sticks to the grouphead.  Many thanks!

Posted October 4, 2012 link

I haven't got around to doing this but it seems like a great idea.

brandishwar Said:

Yikes! Yeah it must not have been properly positioned. But 16g I'd definitely say is the max you can do on this basket unless you have something, like the yogurt cup, to contain the grounds and keep them from going everywhere. 16g is the most I do, at least, and that's in part because I always get a fluffy grind out of my grinder with the coffee of my choice.

I've pulled a couple more shots now, and not had the same problem. Shots have been good, they look nicer coming out of the la pavoni basket, but am not sure if they taste better.

brandishwar Said:

How wide is that tamper? I have a 51mm tamper that so far has worked perfectly for me. Definitely look into getting a 51mm full-metal tamper eventually.

I haven't measured it tbh - it might be sized for the old La Pavoni basket (pre-Millenium 49mm one). It seems better than the tamper I have.

There's fewer distributors of espresso parts in the UK, we definitely don't have anything to compare to the likes of SeattleCoffeeGear - we're supposed to be all about tea and cucumber sandwiches after all ;)
D4F

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Thu Oct 11, 2012, 12:11pm

Try it this way.  Nylon from the inside.

You could perhaps get by with a nylon screw and not scratch up the basket.  The temperature if fairly high, but not sure if the PF temperature is too hot for nylon.  Probably would soften a little if you left the basket in for long times, but hardens again as it cools.  Nice thing about nylon is that you can thread it in all the way and then sand down the non-head end to make the drag fit.  The other possibility with nylon is to insert it head inside and sand (Dremel sanding drum) it for a drag fit across the whole head.  More area and less point pressure. Onfe fit, you can fllush the outside of the screw to the PF.  It would probably tighten the fit warm and release with cooling, which could be helpful.  Or, stick with what you have :)

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
brianl

Espresso: Gaggia Classic (w/PID)
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Drip: chemex
Posted Sat Dec 1, 2012, 1:19am
Subject: Re: DeLonghi EC155 Modification Guide & Ideas

critikay Said:

I purchased this portafilter:
Click Here (www.delonghi-accessories.com)

and this filter:
Click Here (www.delonghi-accessories.com)

After you take the portafilter apart and saw the plastic part where the two spouts are off and then saw down the or just hammer off the light metal screw hole in it so the basket fits you will have what I have. The basket also fits snugly into the holder so no falling out when i hit the knockbox.

My initial results were messy of course, coffee shooting everywhere but I got my little Hario adjusted correctly and pulled a shot close to what I get on the Rancilio commercial machine where I work. I WILL say though that now that I have the means to pull a better shot I'm noticing the flavors are ultimately muted and a littles less rich but that might just be compensated for by using more fruity tart espresso roasts rather than italian.

Posted February 28, 2012 link

How many clicks from closed gets you up for a good shot with the Hario Mini Mill? I have tried many and they all seem bitter so i'd like to have a starting point.
Burner0000

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia, VFA Expres...
Grinder: Macap MX/VFA N1464/Kyocera...
Drip: Manual Drip, French Press
Roaster: Behmor 1600 / Sonofresco
Posted Sun Dec 2, 2012, 5:03pm

Successful temp surfing with the EC155.

Thanks to user "Isaac Wong" in the video provided he added a PID to his EC155 which allowed him to watch the temp drop while pulling water through the group.  If you watch closely 14 seconds after the green light goes off he lockes in the portafilter and durring the shot pull the temp rises back up to brewing temp.  

Hope this helps
Click Here
 View Profile Visit website Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
Chrono9084

Posted Wed Dec 26, 2012, 3:06pm

Hello everyone.  Another new user here. :)

I am at work and have not had a chance to look through all of the pages so this may already have been addressed but I figure I would ask anyhow.

I just recently purchased this machine and my only complaint so far has been the length of the steaming wand feed.  Has anyone modified the actual tubing to make it longer (e.g. to be able to extend deeper into a frothing jug)?

Thanks in advance.
D4F

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Wed Dec 26, 2012, 3:29pm

This is the fix that many do for steam.

http://coffeegeek.com/forums/espresso/machinemods/555131

I believe that this is the part.  You can search to confirm that.

http://www.espressoparts.com/R_1054?&search_id=1973499

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
showing page 10 of 19 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > DeLonghi EC155...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.459120035172)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+