Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
entry level espresso machine
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > entry level...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
Author Messages
stats

Posted Tue Feb 5, 2013, 10:44am
Subject: entry level espresso machine

I want to get my "new to espresso" nephew a used, under $100 espresso maker.  I see  Gran Gaggia, Krups, Breville, Delonghi brands - can anyone please comment on which of those brands makes a reasonable entry level espresso maker?  Thanks
 View Profile Link to this post
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Tue Feb 5, 2013, 11:16am
Subject: Re: entry level espresso machine

Real espresso makers are boilers under pressure and not cheap like a drip coffee machine.  You also need a grinder to make espresso.  You can get a hand grinder from Amazon for 40 (Hario MSS-1B Hand Grinder Mini Mill Slim)and a used starbucks barista (rebranded saeco aroma) for 60 to 100 on craigslist.  There are often needing work but you can get lucky and find one that never got used.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Markarian
Markarian
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: ECM Technika IV Profi WT-WC
Grinder: Baratza Forte AP, HG One
Vac Pot: Bunn Trifecta MB
Drip: Moka, Aeropress, Hario V60
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Tue Feb 5, 2013, 1:43pm

Why does everyone recommend the Hario Mini over the Skerton, I'm just curious?

Also, you can find a used Saeco/Starbucks machine which is definitely a real espresso machine, though comes with a pressurized portafilter. You can usually find them for $70 or less, which puts it right into your budget. You can upgrade later to a non-pressurized portafilter and a nice tamper when your budget expands a little. I used several of these machines and they're quite capable with practice.
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Tue Feb 5, 2013, 3:52pm

I think the Mini/Slim is slightly cheaper, and of course it has a smaller profile. I'm pretty sure that most reviews comparing the two (Slim v Skerton) rate them about equal inre grind quality though.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
CMIN

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Tue Feb 5, 2013, 4:03pm

emradguy Said:

I think the Mini/Slim is slightly cheaper, and of course it has a smaller profile. I'm pretty sure that most reviews comparing the two (Slim v Skerton) rate them about equal inre grind quality though.

Posted February 5, 2013 link

And it's sealed, no beans/chaff popping out while grinding.
tinytot2

Espresso: NS Oscar
Grinder: Vario W
Drip: Breville YouBrew
Posted Tue Feb 5, 2013, 5:04pm

I have a Starbucks Barista and it has served me well, though the upgrade bug has hit me.

It's a nice little entry level machine that you can easily ramp up a bit by getting an unpressurized portafilter.
biochemgawd

Espresso: BDB
Grinder: Vario
Posted Tue Feb 5, 2013, 5:44pm

I just bought a used Gaggia baby ($99) and a hario mini slim grinder ($38) for traveling and it is making exceptional espresso (and lattes). Freshly roasted beans are crucial!
John
DaninMaryland

Espresso: V2 Silvia
Grinder: Vario-W
Posted Wed Feb 6, 2013, 3:01pm

biochemgawd Said:

I just bought a used Gaggia baby ($99) and a hario mini slim grinder ($38) for traveling and it is making exceptional espresso (and lattes). Freshly roasted beans are crucial!
John

Posted February 5, 2013 link

your post reminded me of a question i had a bit ago and forgot to ask.  I read a lot about people buying a seperate machine for "travel".  are you telling me you pack up and bring an espresso machine on trips?  if so, are we talking bringing a machine along for a quick 2 day trip?  1 week trip to the  beach, etc??

that seems excessive, whcih sounds about right for the forum, lol.

i read about someone buying a used silvia for travel.  please help me understand, i hope i am missing something?
biochemgawd

Espresso: BDB
Grinder: Vario
Posted Wed Feb 6, 2013, 3:16pm

Hi Dan,

You haven't missed anything, it's all about perspective. You are currently at the beginning of your espresso journey.

I am on my 11th espresso machine, and have previously owned several steam toys, then a Francis X3, Silvia, Lelit with PID and now a Breville DB. I started with Starbucks and grocery store beans and now use only Blue Bottle, Intelligencia, and others that are freshly roasted.

At each stage of my journey (even with the $18 steam toys!), I was happy because I thought I was making the best espresso/lattes ever. But as I learned and tasted better coffee I upped my game. Now, I make the best espresso/lattes ever! ;-)

The downside of this is that I can no longer drink most of the nasty "espresso" offered by the vast majority of coffee shops. So, spending $150 on a travel espresso setup makes perfect sense. I bring it along whenever I am going to be away for more than a few days and there are no excellent coffee houses nearby. Definitely for a 1 week trip to the beach!

The good news (that I just realized) is that you can make very good espresso for $150 if you have the right technique and beans.

John
Iluvdabean
Iluvdabean

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra/Gaggia...
Grinder: Baratza Preciso/K-A Pro...
Drip: Bonavita BV 1800 TH
Roaster: Nesco 1010/Behmor 1600
Posted Wed Feb 6, 2013, 10:03pm

Correction:

Rancillio Silvia isnt a steam toy!

biochemgawd Said:

Hi Dan,

You haven't missed anything, it's all about perspective. You are currently at the beginning of your espresso journey.

I am on my 11th espresso machine, and have previously owned several steam toys, Francis X3, Silvia, Lelit with PID and now a Breville DB. I started with Starbucks and grocery store beans and now use only Blue Bottle, Intelligencia, and others that are freshly roasted.

At each stage of my journey (even with the $18 steam toys!), I was happy because I thought I was making the best espresso/lattes ever. But as I learned and tasted better coffee I upped my game. Now, I make the best espresso/lattes ever! ;-)

The downside of this is that I can no longer drink most of the nasty "espresso" offered by the vast majority of coffee shops. So, spending $150 on a travel espresso setup makes perfect sense. I bring it along whenever I am going to be away for more than a few days and there are no excellent coffee houses nearby. Definitely for a 1 week trip to the beach!

The good news (that I just realized) is that you can make very good espresso for $150 if you have the right technique and beans.

John

Posted February 6, 2013 link

View Profile Contact via ICQ Link to this post
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > entry level...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.430678129196)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+