Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Fiamma Marina
The Coffee Project
Home coffee Roasting equipment, green beans, and supplies
www.coffeeproject.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Fiamma Marina  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
Marques

Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Wed Feb 6, 2013, 7:45pm
Subject: Fiamma Marina

This is my first post here and was hoping to get a lot of feedback.  Currently my in-laws have a Fiamma Superbar espresso machine and I would like to say that it is an amazing machine.  I currently bought a Rancilio Silvia V3 with a PID and I was very disappointed.  The steam was horrible and it wasn't taking out coffee like I was used to.  Fiamma is a Portuguese company and the distributor here in NJ stopped carrying them and there isn't another vendor here in USA.  I was interested in purchasing the newer version Fiamma Marina, but it seems to be a hassle since I need to have someone purchase it and ship it to me from Portugal.  Another issue is that they stopped making machines with 110v, so I would have to buy a transformer.  Well my question is, does anyone know any other brands that I should be looking at that compares to this machine?  I would like direct water hookup and commercial look.  I would also like it to be POD compatible.  My budget is about $1500 - 2000.00.

Thanks
 View Profile Link to this post
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4, Pharos,...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Wed Feb 6, 2013, 8:37pm
Subject: Re: Fiamma Marina

Welcome to CG!

That looks like a prosumer HX machine. I think you also don't want that particular brand because it might be hard to find parts/service for it here.  It would be a shame to see anyone use pods with it, rather than exploit it's capabilities. PODs pretty much will give you swill in a cup, and why would you want that when you can have consistently great espresso? There are a lot of great prosumer HX machines available in the US that are equally competent.  Anyhow, to name a random few manufacturers...in no particular order and without really excluding others I don't name...Rocket, Quick Mill, Vibiemme, Izzo, Salvatore, etc, etc. I'd recommend reading the espresso machine buying guide on this website (click on the "guides & how tos" link above on the green bar).  There's nothing wrong with a HX machine, and your budget puts you right into that category, but you really haven't said anything else that makes you want that over some other type of machine, such as a DB or a lever for example. Also, you will need to read about other features, such as semi-automatic and full automatic (and no I'm not talking about super automatic, that's different).  I think you'll find the guide a very good place to start to learn about features you may or may not want. (Btw, you should be able to make great espresso with that Silvia - though that doesn't mean it's the right machine for your needs)

Then answer the standard set of questions we typically ask of everyone in your shoes:

what kind of drinks will you make and how often, how many a day, a week, will you entertain much
you've already said you can and want to plumb in
do you have a dedicated 20 amp circuit or would it be shared or do you have a standard 15
does your budget include a grinder
are you willing to consider/interested in used gear

and there are two great companies in your general part of the country that you may want to consider paying a visit to once you get a little closer...Chris' Coffee Service and 1st Line Equipment

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
Marques

Posted Thu Feb 7, 2013, 8:08pm

Thank you so much for your reply.  This is much harder than I expected, those are very nice machines but so similar in styling.  To answer your questions I have 20 amp, really wanted to buy a grinder(because I wanted to use PODS, I know its a sin, but its very convenient and not messy).  I have about 2 coffee daily min. with more on weekends when people are over.  I wanted to stay away from used also.  I dont care about the size, I actually like the bigger models because it looks more commercial.  The Izzo and Rockets looks very nice, don't know if I would need a dual boiler or if that would just be a bragging right.  Do all these machines have the POD adapters?
emradguy
emradguy

Posted Fri Feb 8, 2013, 9:54pm

Choosing between lever, HX and DB isn't really about saying who has what, but more an understanding of how they operate and what your needs and wants are. Pods...I'm not the best guy to ask...yeah, you can do it on an E61 for sure, but I just don't get it. I mean, I get the no mess part, but to me the price you pay in espresso quality reduction is a major deal breaker. Think of it like putting an automatic transmission in a Lamborghini.

Marques

Posted Sat Feb 9, 2013, 8:38pm

I understand and everyone keeps telling me the same thing about the pods.  I just want to have the option and be able to use them in the beginning since that is what I am used to and slowly play around with grinding my own beans.  Now I am currently using a Fiamma Superbar and I read in the manual that it has 2100w, and the Izzo and R58 are lower.  I know the Fiamma is HX and the other two are DB, but are they equivalent or is the DB more powerful?  Thanks for all your help.
Marques

Posted Sat Feb 9, 2013, 8:40pm

And I didnt know if those two machines was just changing the basket in the portafilter or if the screen has to be changed also etc.
emradguy
emradguy

Posted Mon Feb 11, 2013, 8:24am

Izzo and Rocket both make HX and DB machines.  I can't attest to the power differences in steaming between different brands and models, but I can tell you pretty much all prosumer HX and DB machines are plenty powerful.  The decision which engineering design should really be based on how you intend to use the machine.  for instance, if you want to change beans on the fly and not have to go into programming mode and wait for the new temp to stabilize, you'll be better off with a HX machine.  If you tend to want the same beans time after time and want to not have to worry about altering brew temp then the DB might be right for you.  If you are concerned about a specific brand/model, you should make an inquiry to owners, so they can tell you their experiences.

I chose a DB machine after reading a lot about the two (HX and DB), because it is the way I tend to operate.  In truth, I rarely reprogram the brew temp, even when changing beans.  However, I think there's a part of me that would like to experiment with comparing different beans side by side (or at least in series) and a HX machine would be better suited for that, especially if I were to take the time to make the effort to see what temp was best to my liking for each bean before the comparison.

Re: pods, I don't know.  Like I said before, I know E61's can handle pods with some sort of adapter, but that's as far as my knowledge goes in that direction, and I have no desire to find out more.  Perhaps a new thread specific to that or a search for prior threads might help you...since no one else seems to be participating in this one.

pizzaman383

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Vibiemme DDv2, KAProLinePID
Grinder: Fiorenzato Doge 83,...
Drip: Behmor Brazen
Posted Mon Feb 11, 2013, 3:28pm

Marques Said:

I would also like it to be POD compatible.

Posted February 6, 2013 link

I used ESE pods for many years.  When I got my E61 machine I wanted to keep using them at times.  Unfortunately, that did not really work.  The preinfusion in the E61 causes early, low-pressure flow through the pod which makes for very poor espresso.  After getting a very good grinder (which is I think more important than the espresso machine) I quickly found that I didn't need nor want to use pods.  If you really still want to use pods then think of getting a machine without preinfusion.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
acfpinheiro

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Wed May 8, 2013, 6:29am

Hello. I am from Aveiro, Portugal, and you can contact FIAMMA in geral@rst.pt or you can see their website www.rst.pt (manufacturer); you can buy the parts there.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Fiamma Marina  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.404276132584)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+