Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Starbucks barista brew temp.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Starbucks...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Sat Feb 9, 2013, 3:16pm
Subject: Re: Starbucks barista brew temp.

Great to see you up and running! You owe most of that to Fred (D4F)!  Regarding your SJ...well, you pretty much chastised the local SJ expert here (calblacksmith) when he tried to help you because you didn't like what he had to say. Given what a great guy he is, a simple apology ought to get you back in favor (sent via pm he'd be guaranteed to see it) and he would likely gladly help you all he can. He's rebuilt more SJs than I've even seen in action, so he's definitely "the guy" to get advise from on CG when it comes to SJ grinders!

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
 View Profile Link to this post
D4F

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Sun Feb 10, 2013, 1:41pm
Subject: Re: SJ new burrs

martisan Said:

Now that I have a tiny bit of knowledge I will continue fine-tuning things to try to make it better.  That includes getting it clean, so the water tastes good, playing with the temp,  and now I will put in the new burrs in my SJ.  Did I understand that my grinder would be hypersensitive to adjusting, that 2 or 3 clicks would go from too fine to too coarse?

Posted February 9, 2013 link

You may want to start a new thread in the grinder heading.  The SJ question could get lost under this heading.

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
CraigA
CraigA

Espresso: PID/PressureMod 2001...
Grinder: BUNN FPG-2 DBC, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos manual, Yama 5...
Drip: Behmor BraZen, BUNN VPR-APS,...
Roaster: Refurb Behmor 1600, BBQ...
Posted Sun Feb 10, 2013, 2:25pm

Thread moved from Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods to Espresso: Questions and Answers.

http://twitter.com/CoffeegeekCraig
http://www.facebook.com/craig.andrews.169

Excellent coffee doesn't just happen!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600, CO/UFO combo
Posted Sun Feb 10, 2013, 10:10pm

martisan Said:

I read "the easy guide...."  and some other things, all full of things I didn't know.  I got a digital thermometer and a cup and checked the brew temp.  It seemed variable-  on three tries I got between 168 and 185 I think.  I have to experiment more to see if I can at least figure out how to get the higher temp, but I guess its lower than it should be.  I think the shower screen might be causing me the biggest problem.  I cleaned it but I think most water comes out of a 1/2 inch circle in the middle and probably is channeling straight  through.  The puck has a noticeable depression in the top center.  Also I have depressurized the pf, but then saw the screen issue which I hope to fix now.

Posted February 8, 2013 link

Martin, just checking:
You DO know that before you pull a shot, you need to briefly open your steam valve for a couple of seconds.
Doing this is mandatory if you want the machine to reach the proper brewing temperature, about 200f.
This is called ridding the machine of "false pressure."
When the ready/brew light goes out, bleed the wand for a few seconds. The light should go back on. When the light goes out, run water through your group for about 3 seconds.
Then proceed as usual.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Posted Sun Feb 10, 2013, 10:11pm

CraigA Said:

Thread moved from Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods to Espresso: Questions and Answers.

Posted February 10, 2013 link

I just did it 4 minutes ago. Did we do it at exactly the same time?
What a trip!

PM coming your way later.

EDIT..whoops, you went a step further..better still.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
www.robertjason.com
D4F

Posted Sun Feb 10, 2013, 10:39pm

Rob, I have been trying to help Martin, so I have to ask.  False pressure on simple SBDU with tstats?

D4F also at
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Posted Sun Feb 10, 2013, 10:45pm

D4F Said:

Rob, I have been trying to help Martin, so I have to ask.  False pressure on simple SBDU with tstats?

Posted February 10, 2013 link

Well, I had the same machine, A Starbucks Barista (or maybe Athena, 15 years ago hard to remember.)
The instructions CLEARLY stated that this procedure must be done to assure the machine get to proper temperature.
It has no release valve, same as my former Cremina. False pressure MUST be bled.
If I'm incorrect here, my apologies. I just know my machine (manufactured by Saeco) advised this.

Edit...have I missed a modification of his machine?

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
www.robertjason.com
D4F

Posted Sun Feb 10, 2013, 10:53pm

I thought that the false pressure bleed was for machines with P-stats.  That would affect a pressure sensor and then the temperature controlled by pressure.  I should stick with my Gaggia, but thought other SBDUs were similar.  I know that you need to make sure that the boiler is full of water or you blunt the pump pressure and can cook the element.

Edit;  My apology as well if wrong or out of line.

D4F also at
martisan

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: starbucks barista
Grinder: super jolly
Drip: melitta
Roaster: good local shop
Posted Mon Feb 11, 2013, 10:27pm

I just checked the instructions, which don't say much about anything. It definitely had no mention of what you are referring to.  My only modification is de-pressurized pf.  I happened to stumble across Saeco's instructions on how to use the  unmodified pf, which Starbucks didn't even mention, although that now means nothing to me.
   When the ready/brew light is on does that indicate weather the heating element is on, or just went off, or something else?
                                              Thanks- Martin
D4F

Posted Mon Feb 11, 2013, 10:43pm

Sorry, I do not know for sure on the light.  Some brand machines are light on for heat, and some are light off.  I believe that when you turn on the machine cold, the light will be on or off then and tell you which way it is when heating, obvoiusly heating when first on.

I think that the false pressure stuff above is for pressure regulation of temperature, common in Hx machines and those with pressure-stat.  Your instructions would have mentioned it if needed.

D4F also at
showing page 3 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Starbucks...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.442956924438)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+