Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Trying to Decide R58, Quickmill Qm7,  Breville DB
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Trying to Decide...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 25 of 41 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
cuznvin

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II
Grinder: MACAP M4 Stepless /Baratza...
Drip: YouBrew
Posted Thu Feb 7, 2013, 9:48am
Subject: Re: Trying to Decide R58, Quickmill Qm7,  Breville DB

tdifraia Said:

I purchased a QM 67 from ChrisCoffee and while its still early all I can say is WOW, what a piece of work. I clicked buy went to sleep and UPS was at my door with my new machine. That was fast!!! It was a buyers remorse, but Im glad who ever returned it did, because their loss turned into my gain. It arrived in great shape. I opened it up and all looked good except  it was missing one screw as the transformer was not mounted to the frame. I Emailed Chris and he said he will send me a new one. I have only pulled a handful of shots and am still dialing it in, but so far so good. It really delivers what it promises. Consistent Temps and extremely fast recovery. I thought the 2 hole steam tip was fine. You have to work fast because it throws a lot of steam, but I made a nice bucket of microfoam after about a half hour of practicing. And this machine really has a fast recovery. Its early, but so far I am extremely happy with everything. A yay vote for the QM 67. I would like to mention Chris N. is extremely responsive as he has answered more than a half dozen emails from me in 2 days. As expected top notch customer service from CHRIS COFFEE SERVICE.

Posted February 6, 2013 link

HAve you tried to make multiple drinks in a row with it? I would like to know how the steam holds up after a few lattes...
 View Profile Link to this post
kboom1
kboom1
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Alex2HX,Alex Duetto,Rancilio...
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky,Vario
Roaster: Behmor x2 / USRC Sample...
Posted Thu Feb 7, 2013, 2:39pm

DavecUK Said:

The R58 I tested was a pre-production machine, but I don't think much has changed. From memory the OPV vents out into the front drip tray. I am wondering if the higher flow/pressure through the OPV when pulling a shot thru the blind filter is just enough to stop the noise. You might have got the noise for a moment just at the beginning of the blind filter because with a rotary pump the E61 groups "preinfusion chamber takes a few moments to fill, and during that time the pressure is slightly lower. Clean the drip tray and check the tube within it to see if any water is coming out during a blind filter shot.

If there is nothing....The only other thing I can think of, is the 2 solenoid valves the R58 uses to switch from tanked to mains operation. I did recommend there should be a sealing cap on the water mains inlet(for a few reasons).....if there is no water from the OPV, I am wondering if when under a flow condition e.g. when pulling a shot, if the inlet solenoid for mains operation is letting some air into the system. You could try switching from tanked to mains and back again (quickly), just to operate the solenoids.

NB: All this assumed that water is not dripping out of the E61 exhaust vent during the shot/blind filter shot and that the sound is coming from inside near the rear and lower part of the machine.

Dave

Posted February 7, 2013 link

could it be the pump motor although highly unlikely,I had a problem with my new duetto where I would hear a loud whistling noise that I thought was coming from the opv, after ajusting it at 12 bar(wich was way loose) I could hear it was the berrings in the motor wich under stress got louder.
Italo2275

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Thu Feb 7, 2013, 4:17pm

I have contacted the supplier and I will take the machine back so the Technitian can have a look. If they tell me they have to send it back, I will return it and go with the Duetto.
I just think this is rediculous on a brand new machine. I was with the Impression thaat they test every machine.
Sorry for my rant but this really bothers me.
cuznvin

Posted Thu Feb 7, 2013, 4:42pm

Italo2275 Said:

I have contacted the supplier and I will take the machine back so the Technitian can have a look. If they tell me they have to send it back, I will return it and go with the Duetto.
I just think this is rediculous on a brand new machine. I was with the Impression thaat they test every machine.

You would think someone tests the machine. I Thought the retailer sets the pressure and checks the machine. You have every right to rant after spending $2700...
acasabia
acasabia

Espresso: Expobar Brewtus iv-p,...
Grinder: Quamar M80e, Hario slim
Vac Pot: Yama Vacpot, Aeropress,
Drip: french press
Roaster: hot-air popper.
Posted Fri Feb 8, 2013, 1:03pm

cuznvin Said:

You would think someone tests the machine. I Thought the retailer sets the pressure and checks the machine. You have every right to rant after spending $2700...

Most do, I know my Expobar was tested prior to shipping (a little water in the packaging though). However, some of these suppliers do not keep these machines in stock  and instead ship directly from the manufacturer. It is less likely then that machines in this category then will be tested prior to shipping.

When you order, do so over the phone and make sure you ask about this. It will save you trouble in the event something is shipped broken or missing.

Anthony C

Currently pulling:
Gimme! Piccolo Mondo Espresso Blend
http://coffeeandneuroscience.wordpress.com/
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
tdifraia

Espresso: QM67
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Drip: Bunn
Posted Sat Feb 9, 2013, 11:15am

cuznvin Said:

HAve you tried to make multiple drinks in a row with it? I would like to know how the steam holds up after a few lattes...

So far the most I have produced at one time, was 2 lattes at once. The machine recovers extremely FAST. The Boiler is small, but the heating element allows a very fast recovery. Its taking me less than a minute to steam the milk. The PID for the steaming Boiler is set at 263, and drops to 261 by the time I am finished with the milk. After I put the first drink together all the temps are back to there settings, and I start my second drink. So I would say yes the boilers are on the small side, but the recovery is remarkably fast. So far I have zero remorse. It should be noted this is my first machine and I have limited experience. The one thing I can say is the shots I have pulled from this machine have been INCREDIBLY TASTY. I am getting about 1.5 ounces at 25 secs. on my doubles, before I am blonding. Very consistent shots with my Vario grinding.
CSME9
CSME9

Espresso: Bezzera Mitica Top, Spaz...
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky
Drip: Moka Pot
Roaster: BBQ Roaster
Posted Sun Feb 10, 2013, 11:59am

Italo2275 Said:

have contacted the supplier and I will take the machine back so the Technitian can have a look. If they tell me they have to send it back, I will return it and go with the Duetto.

Italo-Do you have an update of the machines noise ?

WS
Italo2275

Posted Sun Feb 10, 2013, 5:12pm

WS: No not yet, I am going this Friday as the tech guy will be there, hopefully they can fix it there and then. I will let you guys know how it ends up.
cuznvin

Posted Sun Feb 10, 2013, 5:15pm

tdifraia Said:

So far the most I have produced at one time, was 2 lattes at once. The machine recovers extremely FAST. The Boiler is small, but the heating element allows a very fast recovery. Its taking me less than a minute to steam the milk. The PID for the steaming Boiler is set at 263, and drops to 261 by the time I am finished with the milk. After I put the first drink together all the temps are back to there settings, and I start my second drink. So I would say yes the boilers are on the small side, but the recovery is remarkably fast. So far I have zero remorse. It should be noted this is my first machine and I have limited experience. The one thing I can say is the shots I have pulled from this machine have been INCREDIBLY TASTY. I am getting about 1.5 ounces at 25 secs. on my doubles, before I am blonding. Very consistent shots with my Vario grinding.

Posted February 9, 2013 link

Good to hear this!
CSME9
CSME9

Espresso: Bezzera Mitica Top, Spaz...
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky
Drip: Moka Pot
Roaster: BBQ Roaster
Posted Fri Feb 15, 2013, 6:31am

Just noticed the R58 is not listed on the WLL website, no indication that it's out of stock......it's just not listed any longer.

WS
showing page 25 of 41 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Trying to Decide...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.466825008392)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+