Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Briel Double Espresso Machine?
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Briel Double...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
CoolBeanz

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Tue Feb 5, 2013, 7:46am
Subject: Briel Double Espresso Machine?

Hi,

New guy here, relatively new to coffee too.  My wife and I are looking to replace our Saeco fully automatic machine with something more reliable and not terribly expensive, we are on a tight budget.  The Saeco has been a constant repair and maintenance hassle.

I have found a used Briel Double Espresso Machine, model DES222AP.  I'm not finding any info on this machine, can anybody offer any suggestions about the quality and function of this machine.  My wife will use it for milk based drinks, I prefer espresso.

Thanks for any feed back or suggestions.
 View Profile Link to this post
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Tue Feb 5, 2013, 8:42am
Subject: Re: Briel Double Espresso Machine?

CoolBeanz Said:

I'm not finding any info on this machine . . . .

Posted February 5, 2013 link

Would that not be a hint?

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, 2 Macap M4s, OE...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Tue Feb 5, 2013, 9:07am

^ +1

I did a google search, and every hit (on the mere 3 pages of hits), was related to used machines.  If it were me, I'd run like h#ll the other way.  Or....maybe you're interested in an obsolete product?

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
CoolBeanz

Posted Tue Feb 5, 2013, 9:31am

Being on a budget,  I'm exploring all options. You never know, it might be an obscure,  decent machine,  or a piece of junk.
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Tue Feb 5, 2013, 9:33am

I put my money on "piece of junk"

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Tue Feb 5, 2013, 7:14pm

calblacksmith Said:

I put my money on "piece of junk"

Not sure you'll get anyone to take that bet . . .

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

CoolBeanz Said:

Being on a budget,  I'm exploring all options. You never know, it might be an obscure,  decent machine,  or a piece of junk.

Exploring options is one thing, but it's a piece of junk.  

You don't need to spend thousands to make great espresso at home, but you DO need to spend something . . .

OK, let's take it from the top . . .

Standard Questions:
1)  What kind of drinks do you like/want to make?  (This will tell us what you need in terms of a machine's capabilities.)
2)  How many drinks, on average, do you see yourself needing to make at ay one time? (This will tell us what you need in terms of a machine's ability to work continuously.)
3)  How many drinks, on average, do you see yourself making in any given week?  (This will tell us what you need in terms of a machine's durability.)
4)  Can you plumb a machine directly into the water supply, or do you want/need a pourover machine with its own reservoir?
5)  Do you have a 20-amp circuit available, or only a (standard) 15-amp circuit?
6)  What is your budget for a new machine?  Does that also include a grinder?  If not, what is your budget for a grinder?

Cheers,
Jason

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
qualin
qualin
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Izzo Alex Duetto 3
Grinder: Mazzer Mini Elect. Type A
Vac Pot: Looking to buy
Drip: Manual
Roaster: Considering?
Posted Tue Feb 5, 2013, 11:13pm

I wouldn't waste your money. From the google images I've seen, this really looks like a cheap machine with limited longevity.

I'd like to know what you mean by "Tight" budget?

I want to start off by saying that you should stop thinking of an espresso machine as a small appliance. It isn't like buying a blender or a waffle maker.
You should approach buying an espresso machine more like a large appliance, like a stove or a fridge. I know it sounds silly, but this really is the case, at least
in my own experiences.

Jason asks those six questions a lot because that acts as a better judge of what machine we should recommend. However, the problem is, when you go below
a certain price point, manufacturers make compromises to keep costs down. Unfortunately, when the price point is too low, completely unacceptable (At least in our eyes)
compromises are made so manufacturers can sell more of their machines at palatable prices.

Now, there are two things you need to know before you consider even thinking about buying a machine:

1. Machines which use pressurized portafilters are a serious compromise. The idea behind using one of them is to make up for the shortfall of using a very inadequate grinder for espresso.
    They make strong coffee, but that's about it. Stay away from these machines if you want to make true espresso and focus on using unpressurized portafilters and using a decent grinder.  

2. The biggest problem with espresso machines is that they must be able to brew espresso and then get hot enough to be able to steam if one is making milk drinks. There are a couple
    of engineering challenges around this. There are a variety of different types of designs which address this engineering problem, but depending on the approach being used, this can
    dramatically increase the price of the machine. With the more expensive machines comes capability, convenience, speed and durability.  

To get right to the point, if you don't want to spend a lot of money but you do want a quality machine, you should consider buying a used machine from someone who knows a lot about espresso.
My thought is, if the person is passionate about coffee, they'll also be passionate about making sure the machines are well cared for and kept up properly.

I would say, do you think you could budget at least $1000 for an espresso machine, grinder and accessories?

Garbage In, Garbage Out, for every step of the process. From Beans to grinder, grounds to machine, coffee to cup.
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
qualin
qualin
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Izzo Alex Duetto 3
Grinder: Mazzer Mini Elect. Type A
Vac Pot: Looking to buy
Drip: Manual
Roaster: Considering?
Posted Tue Feb 5, 2013, 11:21pm

You know what? I think I'm going to follow up on my lengthy post above.

Read this thread:

"entry level espresso machine"

This is probably the perfect example of a thread where people talk about doing espresso on a budget.

Of course, they're discussing using a pressurized portafilter machine, but well.. the old saying goes, you get what you pay for.

If you just want to start there and then upgrade later, I won't blame you.. although, most people who start out this way get hit with the
upgradeitis bug really quick and want to switch to using unpressurized portafilters quickly.

When switching from a pressurized to unpressurized portafilter, the need for a decent grinder is absolutely mandatory.

Although, if you don't care and the coffee is "Good enough", then just stick with that.

Garbage In, Garbage Out, for every step of the process. From Beans to grinder, grounds to machine, coffee to cup.
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
SStones
SStones
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Giga 5, ECM Giotto, Rocket...
Grinder: Anfim Milano-Best
Vac Pot: No  :(
Drip: Some $30 thing from Walmart
Roaster: I buy pre-roasted.
Posted Wed Feb 6, 2013, 5:09am

Qualin's and others' posts have summed up everything I was going to try to warn you about after I tried to find that Briel machine online.  All I would add is that that machine is a damn good price at $150 so it isn't a waste of much money.  Maybe you should go for it and see if it works for your needs.  If it isn't good enough, resell it for $120 and you're hardly worse off.
Even if you do buy it, you can keep looking for another, better machine and deal.
CoolBeanz

Posted Wed Feb 6, 2013, 5:57am

Thanks for the feedback, it is much appreciated as this is all new to me.  I have done quite a bit of reading on this forum, for a newbie, it is somewhat overwhelming to process it all and figure out what best suits my needs on a limited budget.

My budget; in all honesty, I do not have much to spend.  I have been looking at used machines on Craigslist, up to $300.  The Briel is $150 and comes with an entry level burr grinder.  There seems to be a bunch of Breville 800ESXL's for sale around $200.  I just ordered a new coffee maker, a Bonavita BV1800 with the thermal carafe.  My current grinder is the blade style, I understand I need to buy a good grinder for better coffee and to make espresso.

With having the new coffee maker, I'm thinking I might be best served spending most of my current budget on a good grinder, I would like to keep that around $200, $300 max.  With a good grinder and the Bonavita I can make great coffee and have grinding capability for espresso (please correct me if I'm not thinking right here).  Maybe purchase the used Briel machine for $150, or less, and upgrade down the road as budget allows?   I would think the Briel, in good service, would be a superior machine to the fully auto Saeco I have that we can't seem to keep running?  

To answer the question on what I plan on using the espresso machine for;

Standard Questions:
1)  What kind of drinks do you like/want to make?  (This will tell us what you need in terms of a machine's capabilities.)

I would be using it strictly for Espresso.  My wife likes the milk based drinks, mostly Latte's.

2)  How many drinks, on average, do you see yourself needing to make at ay one time? (This will tell us what you need in terms of a machine's ability to work continuously.)

One at a time is fine.  My wife and I are on different work schedules, we are rarely preparing coffee together.  We do not entertain guests very often.

3)  How many drinks, on average, do you see yourself making in any given week?  (This will tell us what you need in terms of a machine's durability.)

I would probably make espresso every morning before work, a couple of extra times on the weekend.  My wife is a latte junkie, she makes three or four a day, sometimes more.  So around 30 drinks per week (I think we have an addiction)

4)  Can you plumb a machine directly into the water supply, or do you want/need a pourover machine with its own reservoir?

I could plumb if needed.  

5)  Do you have a 20-amp circuit available, or only a (standard) 15-amp circuit?

20 amp

6)  What is your budget for a new machine?  Does that also include a grinder?  If not, what is your budget for a grinder?

I have about $500 to spend now.  I could buy the used machine and a grinder and upgrade down the road.  Let's say $600 max for the new upgrade machine, assuming I already have an appropriate grinder.
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Briel Double...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.519750833511)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+