Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Briel Double Espresso Machine?
Italian Coffee
Italian coffee beans, grinds and pods from Kimbo, LavAzza, Miscela d'Oro & Bristot. Qty. discounts!
www.espressozone.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Briel Double...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Wed Feb 6, 2013, 6:31am
Subject: Re: Briel Double Espresso Machine?

Encore, for all BUT espresso, it is a very good starting point. $145 new, online.
Click Here (www.baratza.com)

Preciso, likely among the best powered entry level espresso grinders out there. It will also handle your other than espresso needs, $325 new.
Click Here (www.baratza.com)

They often have referb units but none in your price range right now.

A starter espresso grinder that is hand powered can be picked up for under or around $100.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Wed Feb 6, 2013, 10:26am

CoolBeanz Said:

I have been looking at used machines on Craigslist, up to $300.

Posted February 6, 2013 link

Hmmm . . . it's doable based upon a) buying used, and b) not including a grinder in that figure.

CoolBeanz Said:

The Briel is $150 and comes with an entry level burr grinder.

Just say "no" to any sort of built-in grinder!

CoolBeanz Said:

There seems to be a bunch of Breville 800ESXL's for sale around $200.

That should be another hint!

Based upon new equipment, look at the Gaggia Classic ($399) and the Le'Lit PL041 ($429) . . .

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
 View Profile Link to this post
qualin
qualin
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Izzo Alex Duetto 3
Grinder: Mazzer Mini Elect. Type A
Vac Pot: Looking to buy
Drip: Manual
Roaster: Considering?
Posted Wed Feb 6, 2013, 7:36pm

Judging from your post, you and your wife have different requirements, but requirements which can be handled by one type of machine.

A typical SBDU (Single Boiler Dual Use) machine would be perfect for making those straight espresso shots, but your wife
may find that making latte's with a SBDU can become tedious.

When I had my Rancilio Silvia, I found that it took me 10 minutes to prepare a drink, from start to finish. That included temperature surfing,
brewing, post-shot cleaning, waiting for steam, steaming, post-steaming cleaning and flushing for cooldown and boiler refill. You yourself may
find that temperature surfing your straight shots to be tedious after a while.

Since you don't have company over often, it isn't a big deal and a SBDU may suit your needs just fine. My only fear is that your
wife may get upgradeitis and demand that you consider purchasing a heat exchanging machine when she doesn't want to wait to make her lattes.

Ideally, for your needs, I would say that a low end Heat Exchanging machine with a reservoir and a vibration pump is probably the best machine
for your needs and your wifes needs. Unfortunately, it will blow your budget out of the water. If you want to make espresso NOW with the budget
that you have, then a used SBDU is your only option.  

Now, since you don't mind buying used, I would consider getting your hands on a used Nuova Simonelli Oscar. They sell for roughly around $500-ish.
I realize that is more than what your budget allows, but the Oscar is a very different class of machine over a typical SBDU and may stave off the
upgradeitis (and complaints ... :-) ) for a while.

Garbage In, Garbage Out, for every step of the process. From Beans to grinder, grounds to machine, coffee to cup.
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
CoolBeanz

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Thu Feb 7, 2013, 6:18am

Thanks again for the continued feedback.

With my lack of budget, I'm going to spend what I have now on a high quality dual purpose grinder and save up for a proper espresso machine that will suit both my wife and myself.  In the meantime, I will keep an eye out for a good used machine and purchase if  the opportunity arises.
 View Profile Link to this post
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Briel Double...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.39056801796)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+