Espresso: Espresso Machines
Gaggia Classic and naked portafilter trouble
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Gaggia Classic...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
Ceridan
Ceridan
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Grinder: Hario Slim
Posted Mon Feb 4, 2013, 6:15am
Subject: Gaggia Classic and naked portafilter trouble

Hi!

I lowered pressure in my Gaggia Classic (by 3/4 of a turn, because I don't have the right tools to actually  measure the pressure), however when using naked portafilter and single shot basket (and 10 grams of coffee, grind at 6 in Hario Slim) it still spouts all around.

So should I lower the pressure more? Or use double basket and 10 grams of coffee?

Or anything else?

Thanks in advance
 View Profile Link to this post
AntWilliams90
AntWilliams90
Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Mahlkonig Vario Home
Roaster: Dieckmann Rostmeister
Posted Mon Feb 4, 2013, 7:56am
Subject: Re: Gaggia Classic and naked portafilter trouble

I don't know how my experience compares, but I am using a naked portafilter with my Gaggia Classic.
I use a Mahlkonig Vario (set to 2:E) doserless
I tend to dose between 15 and 17g (11 second grind time) into an 18g VST basket
I tamp pretty hard...

I get a pretty consistent 26 second pour, no spraying, with really nice tiger striping - and I haven't played with the pressure at all!
Just wondering if you've tried a higher dose?

Also, some more details would help...
Where does it spray from? Every now and then I get spray from 1 or 2 holes on the basket, which I put down to uneven distribution...
What distribution/tamping technique do you use?

As soon as you sit down to a cup of hot coffee, your boss will ask you to do something which will last until the coffee is cold.
D4F

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Mon Feb 4, 2013, 9:30am

I use the double nonpressurized basket and use about 17 - 18 grams, pretty much what it will hold.  I can put the pf in the machine dry and not see any indent from the screen screw.  I generally see a minimal mark in the center of a wet puck, meaning it expanded to the screen in the center.

I think most people on CG pull doubles only, from what I have read.  Doubles are much more forgiving, especially in the learning stage.

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
dyqik

Espresso: Bezzera BZ07 PM
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso Preciso...
Vac Pot: Cona D
Drip: Bona-Vita, CCD, Aeropress.
Roaster: Gene Cafe, Modded Poppers
Posted Mon Feb 4, 2013, 9:55am

Do you mean that it sprays out around the basket, or that the extraction through the bottom of the basket sprays around?

The former is due to the top of the basket not sealing tight against the group gasket, either due to dirt, a poor fitting basket/PF or a worn gasket.

The latter is due to inconsistent distribution or inconsistent or too coarse a grind giving channelling in the puck - grind finer, use the WDT to stir and level the grounds, tamp a little lighter, and do not not disturb the puck after tamping by tapping, rotating or polishing.  It may be that you can't get a good puck and tamp and spritzer free extraction with a single basket - most of the discussion here about naked PFs is using double or triple baskets.  

The other issue is likely to be your grinder - the Hario Slim certainly isn't the best espresso grinder out there, and it may be that it's not up to giving a spritzer free extraction with a single basket.  By making a single shot in a naked PF you are basically trying to do the thing that is most demanding on machine, distribution/tamp technique and grinder here.

I had to adjust my Classic by a bit more than 3/4 a turn when I did it with a pressure gauge as well.  Too high a pressure will make brewing a naked single even harder.

You could also try a pseudo-preinfusion to see if it helps the taste and extraction (in that order ;) ) - turn the brew switch on for a second or two, then turn it off, wait 5 seconds, and then finish pulling the shot.  But I didn't like that using the built in preinfusion function of the Auber PID kit I installed on my Classic.
tracerbullet
tracerbullet

Posted Mon Feb 4, 2013, 3:24pm

Agreed that's a distribution problem. Something that has helped me is to stir up the grounds in the basket a little w/ a toothpick, tap the basket gently on the countertop, and repeat for any high spots left until it's all pretty uniform. Next I put the basket into the portafilter and tamp. Everyone seems to have their own methods, you'll just have to find yours.

The bottomless portafilters are fun and educational, though slightly annoying! You will learn quickly about distribution problems and such, spraying coffee around in the process. I've learned to keep my glass up near the portafilter while it's brewing, or I end up going to work with coffee stripes on my shirt.

I'm a big fan of these: http://www.espressoparts.com/EPMEAS , I can keep it near the portafilter to keep myself and the countertop clean, but still see what is going on through the clear glass. The markings on the glass also help me to know how much I've brewed as far as keeping things consistent from one shot to the next.
Ceridan
Ceridan

Posted Tue Feb 5, 2013, 3:12am

Thank you all for the replies.

Basically I should:
- Grind finer.
- Tamp more thoroughly (I admit I have to practice there and get a better tamper).
- Aim for a double shot for the time being.

And as an added benefit get this cool glass :)
http://www.espressoparts.com/EPMEAS
(Good luck finding them in Czechia, probably I'll just create one using and ordinary small glass :) )
ggcadc
ggcadc
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: QM Alexia
Grinder: Mazzer mini E, Virtuoso,...
Vac Pot: Yama 3 cup
Drip: All of them
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Tue Feb 5, 2013, 8:42am

you can estimate the pressure by using the return flow tube in a measuring cup. if you look into it there is a thread around here that describes the procedure and amount of water to expect for 9 bars. other than that, just know that the classic is very fussy about distribution and grind.
D4F

Posted Tue Feb 5, 2013, 10:54am

The flow rate of a ULKA pump is about 600-650 cc/min with no back pressure and at 9 bar, the flow is about 250-260cc/min.  If you remove the water reservoir and put a glass of water for intake and an empty glass for output, then you can measure the output.  Use a blind basket to completely obsrtuct the group and run the opv/return tube into the empty outflow glass. Time from first drip out the tube for 15 seconds and measure.  About 60-65 ml is good for 15 seconds.  This is an approximation, but is an easy way to check your blind adjustment.

Flow vs pressure for various ULKA pumps.  The E5 series is commonly used.

Click Here (www.ceme.com)

D4F also at
D4F

Posted Tue Feb 5, 2013, 11:04am

Ceridan Said:

Thank you all for the replies.

Basically I should:
- Grind finer.
- Tamp more thoroughly (I admit I have to practice there and get a better tamper).
- Aim for a double shot for the time being.

And as an added benefit get this cool glass :)
http://www.espressoparts.com/EPMEAS
(Good luck finding them in Czechia, probably I'll just create one using and ordinary small glass :) )

Posted February 5, 2013 link

If you do all of this at once you may choke the machine.  Going from single dose to double will be a big change.  Also, you mentioned tamping.  Tamping pressure may be over-rated, but even tamping, to a consistent pressure, with a single fitted tamper is important.  Good shots were near impossible with the plastic tamper included with the Gaggia.  It took several tamps and made an inconsistent puck.

D4F also at
Ceridan
Ceridan

Posted Wed Feb 6, 2013, 8:12am

D4F Said:

The flow rate of a ULKA pump is about 600-650 cc/min with no back pressure and at 9 bar, the flow is about 250-260cc/min.  If you remove the water reservoir and put a glass of water for intake and an empty glass for output, then you can measure the output.  Use a blind basket to completely obsrtuct the group and run the opv/return tube into the empty outflow glass. Time from first drip out the tube for 15 seconds and measure.  About 60-65 ml is good for 15 seconds.  This is an approximation, but is an easy way to check your blind adjustment.

Posted February 5, 2013 link

This looks promising. Please, which of the hoses is for the input and which for the output? Are we talking about these to normally connected to the GS's water tank?
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Gaggia Classic...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.411212921143)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+