Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Trying to Decide R58, Quickmill Qm7,  Breville DB
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Trying to Decide...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 21 of 41 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
jwoodyu
jwoodyu
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Allex Duetto II
Grinder: Mazzer Major
Posted Thu Jan 31, 2013, 7:33am
Subject: Re: Trying to Decide R58, Quickmill Qm7,  Breville DB

Having the chance to fondle several machines is AWESOME and I would drive a few hours each way to do it were i shopping again. That said take everything ANY  retailer tells you with a grain of salt. Bias based on commercial interest are in play every single time even if they retailer makes an honest effort to not to do so. That goes for magazines, websites (yes even this one despite earnest honorable intentions) and any other media.There are retailers I trust generally but none I trust implicitly about any given machine much less what is best for me. Take their information, take advantage of their showroom, buy from the one that invest in you if you can but keep in mind their goal is to make money.

I am employed by a marketing firm with about 45K users world wide, yes I am jaded cynical.

Yes i have a reason for leaving SCG off my list, yes it is my opinion, yes it is subjective as opinions are by definition, no don't start a flame war because you disagree.
 View Profile Link to this post
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Thu Jan 31, 2013, 8:28am

BubbaDude Said:

Indeed we are . . .

Posted January 30, 2013 link

JonR10 Said:

This is easily my all-time favorite post from you, BD.
It's personal, honest, real, and positive....and without a trace of negativity towards others.

Agreed.  Absolutely.

One small point, however . . .

BubbaDude Said:

I would be most happy if the espresso machine I buy in 2017 . . . .

I'd be most happy if the machine I have in 2017 is the machine I used this morning!  Just my 2; YMMV.

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
jwoodyu
jwoodyu

Posted Thu Jan 31, 2013, 8:56am

JasonBrandtLewis Said:

One small point, however . . .

I'd be most happy if the machine I have in 2017 is the machine I used this morning!  Just my 2; YMMV.

Posted January 31, 2013 link

I'd be shocked if that Elektra were not

Yes i have a reason for leaving SCG off my list, yes it is my opinion, yes it is subjective as opinions are by definition, no don't start a flame war because you disagree.
acasabia
acasabia

Espresso: Expobar Brewtus iv-p,...
Grinder: Quamar M80e, Hario slim
Vac Pot: Yama Vacpot, Aeropress,
Drip: french press
Roaster: hot-air popper.
Posted Thu Jan 31, 2013, 10:28am

CSME9 Said:

I have a business trip coming up next month to Seattle, i will have to visit SCG and test drive the R58, Izzo 3, and LaSpaziale and go from there. I kinda lucked out with this trip, as it sure makes it easier than buying sight un seen off the web and have to send it back-been there done that before.

WS

I found some of their videos very helpful in comparing those machines. I cant say I took their tasting notes without a grain of salt, but they really do a good job at showing the features of these machines, their sizes, volumes (audible and physical) and their flaws. cuzvin If you havent checked out their videos yet, you really should.

Anthony C

Currently pulling:
Dallis Bro's (NYC): New York Espresso

http://coffeeandneuroscience.wordpress.com/
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
cuznvin

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II
Grinder: MACAP M4 Stepless /Baratza...
Drip: YouBrew
Posted Thu Jan 31, 2013, 10:32am

acasabia Said:

I found some of their videos very helpful in comparing those machines. I cant say I took their tasting notes without a grain of salt, but they really do a good job at showing the features of these machines, their sizes, volumes (audible and physical) and their flaws. cuzvin If you havent checked out their videos yet, you really should.

Yes... you have no idea how many times I watched those videos..lol
jwoodyu
jwoodyu

Posted Thu Jan 31, 2013, 11:29am

Watch a few of the Superauto videos and it is clear that above all else they really want to sell you a machine you will buy. Getting the right machine for you falls on you. Take all of their opinions both good and bad as if they were Moses come down from the mountain and your IQ will go down about 100 points. :0)

Italo2275

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Sat Feb 2, 2013, 9:06am

ok Guys I made the Jump and bought the R58. It was a hard decision between the Izzo3 and the R58, but the guy gave me a deal on it and I took it.
So I tried both machines coffee and lattes, I have to say the Izzo was a smooth shot but the Rocket brought out more coffee flavour.

Here are some observations on both machines and why I went with the Rocket.
Izzo3and Rocket compare
- I could not put a tall mug under the portafilter cuase there is not much space. In the Rocket it is higher.
- The Steamwand on the Izzo is bent and you cannot really steam with a large container, but with the Rocker you can do to the long arm.
-I like the fact that in the new shipment they made the PID on the Rocket in F and C so that is a pluss.
- they also upgraded the driptray and made it stronger as it was getting bent on shipments.
- I like the new Sring coil on the PID attachment
The Izzo has a larger steam boiler but not by much and it also steams faster.
The izzo is bigget machine and actually would not have fit my space well.

So I think I made a good choice.
CSME9
CSME9

Espresso: Isomac Tea, Rancilio Silvia,...
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky
Drip: Moka Pot
Roaster: BBQ Roaster
Posted Sat Feb 2, 2013, 9:20am

Italo2275-Congratulations !!!

What is a spring coil on the PID attachment ?
How is the drip tray emptied, does it slide out or do you have to lift up and carefully remove ?
How much difference was there in steam times between the Izzo 3 ?

Thanks and enjoy your new machine.
cuznvin

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II
Grinder: MACAP M4 Stepless /Baratza...
Drip: YouBrew
Posted Sat Feb 2, 2013, 9:56am

Italo2275 Said:

ok Guys I made the Jump and bought the R58. It was a hard decision between the Izzo3 and the R58, but the guy gave me a deal on it and I took it.
So I tried both machines coffee and lattes, I have to say the Izzo was a smooth shot but the Rocket brought out more coffee flavour.

Izzo3and Rocket compare
- I could not put a tall mug under the portafilter cuase there is not much space. In the Rocket it is higher.
- The Steamwand on the Izzo is bent and you cannot really steam with a large container, but with the Rocker you can do to the long arm.
-I like the fact that in the new shipment they made the PID on the Rocket in F and C so that is a pluss.
- they also upgraded the driptray and made it stronger as it was getting bent on shipments.

Posted February 2, 2013 link

Awesome! Good Luck with it! Thanks for notating the differences. I like that the rocket has more space under the portafilter..
Iluvdabean
Iluvdabean

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra/Gaggia...
Grinder: Baratza Preciso/K-A Pro...
Drip: Bonavita BV 1800 TH
Roaster: Nesco 1010/Behmor 1600
Posted Sat Feb 2, 2013, 9:59am

Congratulations and good move.

Italo2275 Said:

Izzo3and Rocket compare

Posted February 2, 2013 link

View Profile Contact via ICQ Link to this post
showing page 21 of 41 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Trying to Decide...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.59891295433)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+