Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Trying to Decide R58, Quickmill Qm7,  Breville DB
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Trying to Decide...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 24 of 41 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
cuznvin

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II
Grinder: MACAP M4 Stepless /Baratza...
Drip: YouBrew
Posted Wed Feb 6, 2013, 8:55am
Subject: Re: Trying to Decide R58, Quickmill Qm7,  Breville DB

DavecUK Said:

Pull a shot with a blind filter installed:

Whats the brew pressure
see if it still makes the noise. If it does..check the OPV/Expansion valve return whilst pulling a shot against the blind filter. If you see water coming out, the expansion valve is set incorrectly.
There might be air trapped in the OPV line (I did recommend it was at the highest point within the machine, not at the bottom).

There are some other things it might be, but favorite is the expansion valve set incorrectly....report back.

Dave

Posted February 5, 2013 link

So Dave... Do you think this will be a recurring issue with the R58 being that the OPV is at the bottom instead of the highest point?
 View Profile Link to this post
Italo2275

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Wed Feb 6, 2013, 9:38am

Yeah it has mase that noise since I filled it up. Sorry I am abit of an idiot when it comes to this, but I am not sure what I need to adjust? Where is this OPV valve?
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Wed Feb 6, 2013, 9:42am

Italo2275 Said:

Ok Guys Well I am abit pissed of and maybe made a wrong choice, So I am playig around with the machine and this noise come up. Now you tell me if this is normal. I am going to bring it back and if they say they have to send it in I will tell them give me a new Izzo3. What you think?

Link to the noise it makes

http://youtu.be/WnNNgBu-cV8

Posted February 5, 2013 link

Don't know about the noise but that looked like a nice shot.
DavecUK

Posted Wed Feb 6, 2013, 2:18pm

cuznvin Said:

So Dave... Do you think this will be a recurring issue with the R58 being that the OPV is at the bottom instead of the highest point?

Posted February 6, 2013 link

Probably not, might happen occasionally, also it's only my view that it's better to have it higher up....my make no difference. The really bad OPV placement is when they put them on the hot side of the boiler, as Quickmill used to do!

On his machine the OPV/Expansion valve should play no part in the shot making process as it's a rotary pumped machine.....but a bit more feedback, like answers to my questions might shed more light on exactly what's causing it.
cuznvin

Posted Wed Feb 6, 2013, 2:34pm

DavecUK Said:

Probably not, might happen occasionally, also it's only my view that it's better to have it higher up....my make no difference. The really bad OPV placement is when they put them on the hot side of the boiler, as Quickmill used to do!

Thanks so much for your input and for sharing your knowledge
Italo2275

Posted Wed Feb 6, 2013, 6:53pm

Ok
Here are my Findings Sorry I do not know where the OPV valve is so I could not check for water leak.

Blind filter test
http://youtu.be/1JwskC32-zY

2)Test after blind filter
http://youtu.be/aWPwR-ReAn0
tdifraia

Espresso: QM67
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Drip: Bunn
Posted Wed Feb 6, 2013, 9:00pm

I purchased a QM 67 from ChrisCoffee and while its still early all I can say is WOW, what a piece of work. I clicked buy went to sleep and UPS was at my door with my new machine. That was fast!!! It was a buyers remorse, but Im glad who ever returned it did, because their loss turned into my gain. It arrived in great shape. I opened it up and all looked good except  it was missing one screw as the transformer was not mounted to the frame. I Emailed Chris and he said he will send me a new one. I have only pulled a handful of shots and am still dialing it in, but so far so good. It really delivers what it promises. Consistent Temps and extremely fast recovery. I thought the 2 hole steam tip was fine. You have to work fast because it throws a lot of steam, but I made a nice bucket of microfoam after about a half hour of practicing. And this machine really has a fast recovery. Its early, but so far I am extremely happy with everything. A yay vote for the QM 67. I would like to mention Chris N. is extremely responsive as he has answered more than a half dozen emails from me in 2 days. As expected top notch customer service from CHRIS COFFEE SERVICE.
acasabia
acasabia
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Expobar Brewtus iv-p,...
Grinder: Quamar M80e, Hario slim
Vac Pot: Yama Vacpot, Aeropress,
Drip: french press
Roaster: hot-air popper.
Posted Wed Feb 6, 2013, 9:12pm

Italo2275 Said:

Ok
Here are my Findings Sorry I do not know where the OPV valve is so I could not check for water leak.

Blind filter test

That is bizarre to say the least. Have you been able to localize the sound? Since it isn't present during the black PF pull, I think we can rule out the OPV relief as the culprit. Now it seems more likely to be something either in the group, or in the pump itself. Are you plumbed?

Also, even though this is relevant to the OP's question on which machine to buy, you may get more information on this issue starting a new thread. I feel like we have all drifted off topic and I would like to find out which machine the OP has chosen.

Anthony C

Currently pulling: Whatever Sweet Maria's sends me :D
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
DavecUK

Posted Thu Feb 7, 2013, 12:46am

Italo2275 Said:

Ok

Blind filter test

The R58 I tested was a pre-production machine, but I don't think much has changed. From memory the OPV vents out into the front drip tray. I am wondering if the higher flow/pressure through the OPV when pulling a shot thru the blind filter is just enough to stop the noise. You might have got the noise for a moment just at the beginning of the blind filter because with a rotary pump the E61 groups "preinfusion chamber takes a few moments to fill, and during that time the pressure is slightly lower. Clean the drip tray and check the tube within it to see if any water is coming out during a blind filter shot.

If there is nothing....The only other thing I can think of, is the 2 solenoid valves the R58 uses to switch from tanked to mains operation. I did recommend there should be a sealing cap on the water mains inlet(for a few reasons).....if there is no water from the OPV, I am wondering if when under a flow condition e.g. when pulling a shot, if the inlet solenoid for mains operation is letting some air into the system. You could try switching from tanked to mains and back again (quickly), just to operate the solenoids.

NB: All this assumed that water is not dripping out of the E61 exhaust vent during the shot/blind filter shot and that the sound is coming from inside near the rear and lower part of the machine.

Dave
cuznvin

Posted Thu Feb 7, 2013, 8:46am

acasabia Said:

That is bizarre to say the least. Have you been able to localize the sound? Since it isn't present during the black PF pull, I think we can rule out the OPV relief as the culprit. Now it seems more likely to be something either in the group, or in the pump itself. Are you plumbed?

Also, even though this is relevant to the OP's question on which machine to buy, you may get more information on this issue starting a new thread. I feel like we have all drifted off topic and I would like to find out which machine the OP has chosen.

He is the original poster. He purchased the R58 that he is having problems with now......
showing page 24 of 41 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Trying to Decide...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.497119903564)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+