Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Breville, Silvia, Gaggia - Which one should I choose
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Breville,...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
Iluvdabean
Iluvdabean
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra/Gaggia...
Grinder: Baratza Preciso/K-A Pro...
Drip: Bonavita BV 1800 TH
Roaster: Nesco 1010/Behmor 1600
Posted Sat Feb 2, 2013, 9:27pm
Subject: Re: Breville, Silvia, Gaggia - Which one should I choose

One has more features while made in Taiwan.
One has long track record, parts available everywhere,less features and made in Italy.
If it was me I would go Silvia but that may not be the one for you.
I would read about them and choose. The CC1 is not a Breville...no far from it and seems to me to be a good machine.
I cant get on the Breville band wagon.

orenzoor Said:

It's hard to make a decision
So After going over some more and more videos at SCG and other web-site it seems that as much as I liked the look of the Breville , one is paying for a taste and quality of his espresso and not for the look of the machine , so bye bye breville, you do look good... :-(
I have decided to expend my budget (my wife is not going to like it...)
So here are the two options, both are packages from SCG
Grinder : Baratza Prescio
Machine : Either the Silvia V3+PID or the crossland CC1 .
Which one should I choose ?

Posted February 2, 2013 link

View Profile Contact via ICQ Link to this post
samsom_tw

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Sun Feb 3, 2013, 12:43am

I don't believe the fact that the machine is made in Taiwan should weigh into the decision. Lots of innovative, high quality work done in the tiny island nation.
 View Profile Link to this post
Iluvdabean
Iluvdabean

Posted Sun Feb 3, 2013, 10:06am

It does in mine but I cant speak for everyone. It does with the Breville being made in Australia for me also. I remember many things being made to last. Now planned obsolesce and competitive edge
through managing labor costs are the buzz. I have a Canon 7D and I am glad its made in Japan. I think Nikons are made in Taiwan and who will argue with their reputation.
Take my Buck  310 folding Hunter pocket knife which is 30 years old and is solid brass handle,new ones say made  in China and brass plated. So why do businesses move their manufacturing overseas?
Where did this idea that many things made in China and Taiwan are inferior? Why does a similar espresso machine ( feature wise/ separate steam source/PID) cost so much more when its made in Italy ?  Who is willing to pay
the difference? Is their a market niche for these machines? I think the answer is yes. I also think its up to these companies like Breville and CC1 to substantiate what they do
through a track record. Its not a tell me your as good as the others, its a show me your as good.  With all that said I think the CC1 is a good machine,maybe a great machine
and if they last as long as they are supposed to then I hope they are a huge success. When I saw the CEO Bill on the SCG youtube video and found out he worked at
La Marzocca for years i just got a really good feeling about the guy. For me this translates over into the machine itself and on that I have really no problem with
it being made in Taiwan.Yet given my own personal feelings I would go Italian. I mean for another 300 I could be sitting in a  La Nuova Era Cuadra .

samsom_tw Said:

I don't believe the fact that the machine is made in Taiwan should weigh into the decision. Lots of innovative, high quality work done in the tiny island nation.

Posted February 3, 2013 link

MerleApAmber

Espresso: Breville BES900
Grinder: Baratza Preciso + Esatto
Vac Pot: Yuma
Drip: bah-humbug
Roaster: Hot Top 2K P
Posted Sun Feb 3, 2013, 11:16am

Two things
1) I cried when Wilkinson Sword, shortly after the millenium ended manufacturing swords and sold their production equipment to a company in Pakistan.  They were one of the few last great proud foundries of the old world succumbing to the relentless tide of time and 'progress'.  Just think of all those people who literally "Lived" by the simple fact of their sword.  Same can be said for European manufacturing of the old world technology of Italian espresso machines. Lord help us when either they fold shop and have to sell off their manufacturing abilities, or they simply sell their name to another company from a country where the market has been kind and their liquid cash makes such purchase of quality easy that day.

2) Companies who have to prove a tradition, have to have time to earn such a thing. Which means some people also have to take the risks associated to help them along the way. Interestingly enough; this holds the parables the 'market' in that a well established corporations stock may be considered good risk - but are also already mature and unlikely to move much during the course of decades you as an investor might be inclined to give them the use of your money.  People in the trade talk up the little guy, the new guy, and the new ways of looking at things. This is no different in the ways of manufacturing and the companies who do something old, in a new way...  Today I may have invested one thousand dollars with the new guy, hoping they prove they are all they present themselves as.  Interestingly enough, that price of admission is less than what I'd have to outlay to have similar performance and results than those who have longer history, more mature and thus expensive markets, and old world manufacturing processes.  

Ya, I may have to buy another machine 5 years from now. Having just come into the discretionary income to afford such a luxury in my life I may well decide the Breville solutions of tomorrow may not be all that I thought they were today.  At the same moment, I guar-an-tee you I will have certainly discovered who has the well used and loved piece of equipment they purchased at retail, someone who has discovered they can no longer do the work, or their family is passing it along because the original owner has passed on... and I will have everything I want and need for far less than anyone might imagine.

You see, experience and familiarity are the coin we're really seeking to trade in all of our discussions here. The thing we might stop and remember when we tell folk to buy this machine or that one could rather be something I see occasionally offered: study deep, listen well, try with others equipment and weigh what you thought with that you factually see, then drive a hard bargain and get it for what YOU want to pay for it - knowing it is precisely what you want, expect, and can live with.

Even in new purchases these objectives can be applied. Sadly, for some reason, it's harder when you find you are a neophyte in the field and just want (!)Something(!) to satisfy the new itch.

Cheers mates!
-Chris
Markarian
Markarian

Espresso: ECM Technika IV Profi WT-WC
Grinder: Baratza Forte AP, HG One
Vac Pot: Bunn Trifecta MB
Drip: Moka, Aeropress, Hario V60
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Sun Feb 3, 2013, 1:16pm

Orenzoor,

First of all, the Baratza grinders are great and the company has quickly established a reputation for itself here as having absolutely stellar customer support.

If you're considering a Silvia + PID, you're almost nosing into Oscar territory. There's an outfit that's selling new Oscars bundled with Grinta grinders for something like $1300 online.
Iluvdabean
Iluvdabean

Posted Sun Feb 3, 2013, 1:21pm

I admit that my opinion may be tainted with my first Breville experience. I came here five years ago a dejected and frustrated beginner.

Click Here (coffeegeek.com)

It was the worst piece of trash I could imagine. They thought I wanted a storage tray and a dohicky to unplug my PPF, no I wanted espresso.If people would come here and just be humble about their BDB
I could accept it. But ooooooooh no  they want to say they are as good as a 2400.00 R58. Thats just more rama lama and I simply have to call people on.

Bottom line bro is enjoy your machine... more than that enjoy espresso.I agree with you we all should buy want we want. I think with guys in particular we have a hard time
objectively articulating many times what is an almost intangible quality,I mean can you prove build quality on a forum? But its obviously there. Plus guys like to fight over
machines,dogs,knives,guns,football teams,women,motorcycles, and the list goes on. Why not espresso machines. To which I have always maintained the same response
that Ive seen 99% of the time to be true,and that is you get what you pay for! Go to a car dealer and he will tell you why the Corvette costs more than the Impala.
Go to a gun store and the will tell you why a high end Wilson .45 costs more than a Taurus. Same thing with espresso machines...its always been that way and always will be.
Even endless debates on forums cant change that standard which permeates the universe.

MerleApAmber Said:

Two things
1) I cried when Wilkinson Sword, shortly after the millenium ended manufacturing swords and sold their production equipment to a company in Pakistan.  They were one of the few last great proud foundries of the old world succumbing to the relentless tide of time and 'progress'.  Just think of all those people who literally "Lived" by the simple fact of their sword.  Same can be said for European manufacturing of the old world technology of Italian espresso machines. Lord help us when either they fold shop and have to sell off their manufacturing abilities, or they simply sell their name to another company from a country where the market has been kind and their liquid cash makes such purchase of quality easy that day.

2) Companies who have to prove a tradition, have to have time to earn such a thing. Which means some people also have to take the risks associated to help them along the way. Interestingly enough; this holds the parables the 'market' in that a well established corporations stock may be considered good risk - but are also already mature and unlikely to move much during the course of decades you as an investor might be inclined to give them the use of your money.  People in the trade talk up the little guy, the new guy, and the new ways of looking at things. This is no different in the ways of manufacturing and the companies who do something old, in a new way...  Today I may have invested one thousand dollars with the new guy, hoping they prove they are all they present themselves as.  Interestingly enough, that price of admission is less than what I'd have to outlay to have similar performance and results than those who have longer history, more mature and thus expensive markets, and old world manufacturing processes.  

Ya, I may have to buy another machine 5 years from now. Having just come into the discretionary income to afford such a luxury in my life I may well decide the Breville solutions of tomorrow may not be all that I thought they were today.  At the same moment, I guar-an-tee you I will have certainly discovered who has the well used and loved piece of equipment they purchased at retail, someone who has discovered they can no longer do the work, or their family is passing it along because the original owner has passed on... and I will have everything I want and need for far less than anyone might imagine.

You see, experience and familiarity are the coin we're really seeking to trade in all of our discussions here. The thing we might stop and remember when we tell folk to buy this machine or that one could rather be something I see occasionally offered: study deep, listen well, try with others equipment and weigh what you thought with that you factually see, then drive a hard bargain and get it for what YOU want to pay for it - knowing it is precisely what you want, expect, and can live with.

Even in new purchases these objectives can be applied. Sadly, for some reason, it's harder when you find you are a neophyte in the field and just want (!)Something(!) to satisfy the new itch.

Cheers mates!
-Chris

D4F

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Sun Feb 3, 2013, 2:16pm

Or stay within the original budget, make wife happy, Gaggia Classic with PID and Vario or Preciso.

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
Iluvdabean
Iluvdabean

Posted Sun Feb 3, 2013, 2:41pm

Amen I love mine... Just keeps on cranking. If I ever get a new machine I will keep it just because.
Which by the way...the La Nuova Era Cuadra sure seems like a winner on all counts.

D4F Said:

Or stay within the original budget, make wife happy, Gaggia Classic with PID and Vario or Preciso.

EricBNC
EricBNC
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: QM Silvano, LP Stradivarius,...
Grinder: K30, Major, Preciso, Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam C30, Bodum Santos...
Drip: Bonavita BV-1800,...
Roaster: Behmor, Melitta, Fresh...
Posted Sun Feb 3, 2013, 3:01pm

The Quick Mill Silvano is a great espresso machine for me.

I chew coffee beans with my teeth while gargling with 195 F water to enjoy coffee. What is this "coffee brewing" device you speak of?
orenzoor

Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Sun Feb 3, 2013, 8:52pm

I've bought the Silvia, just placed the order with SCG
I will update , once I have my first attempts...
Now , here is another question
One of my best coffe blend - I could not find in the US :-(, The last time I had it , was when I was in Italy.
Does any one know where can I find Tazza D'oro coffe in the US ? www.tazzadorocoffeeshop.com
Thank you.
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Breville,...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.454718828201)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+