Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Alex Duetto Owners Thread
Espresso Makers
Premium stovetop espresso makers, electric moka pots, machines & accessories.
www.espressozone.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Alex Duetto...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 12 of 21 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
kboom1
kboom1
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Alex2HX,Alex Duetto,Rancilio...
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky,Vario
Roaster: Behmor x2 / USRC Sample...
Posted Mon Jan 28, 2013, 9:46am
Subject: Re: Alex Duetto 3.0 on its way to me

I remember talking to Tim and Jason at Chris coffee about this. They told me that they are set to 10.5 from factory and to turn down to 9 bar. or if your plumbed in like I am ajust your water presure guage down till you read 9 bar on your machines manometer while pulling. at 9 bar my water pressure guage reads 20psi. once in a while depending on my tamp I get a slight flux just off the 9 bar mark
 View Profile Link to this post
jwoodyu
jwoodyu

Espresso: Allex Duetto II
Grinder: Mazzer Major
Roaster: Poppery
Posted Mon Jan 28, 2013, 10:05am

So i am plumbed in on bottle system with a expansion tank. My manometer runs a shade over 9 both on a puck and on a blind or so stinking close you cant really call it on an analog device. I turned it down to just a shade over 8 and without touching my grinder there is no appreciable difference the flow rate, the tiger stripping seems more variegated, the taste seems little more balanced but certainly not flat or boring.

I noticed a couple of posts were Andy was talking about building his own pressure profiling pump. I am intrigued but have to to much real work to do today :( . At the very least I am considering having the local machine shop fit the outer case with a hole and grommet that will allow for manual pressure adjustments without removing the case.

Yes I put the BDB and CC1 in the same class, yes i have a reason for leaving SCG off my list, yes it is my opinion, yes it is subjective as opinions are by definition, no don't start a flame war because you disagree.
germantownrob
germantownrob
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Duetto 3, A Dead Oscar
Grinder: Vario-W, Preciso w/Esatto,...
Drip: Brazen
Roaster: Diedrich IR-1, HT B
Posted Fri Feb 1, 2013, 3:21pm

So I had the hood off today, a nut came loose on the bottom of the machine below the brew boiler, I have no idea what it holds down since I can't see but I put it back on and tightened it up (this was all done under the machine).  

With the top off I decided to lower the pressure and investigate the noise from the pump that has been back sporadically even with a 4g reduction from my HQ basket. There is a lot of movement from the pump especially when the flow is being reduced or against a blind. The shield from the water reservoir and the pump are basically touching and with the sides off it was really loud, I wedged some high heat tape in between them and this helped but everything seemed so much louder with out the sides on. Pressure was reduced to just over 9bar when it fully ramps up, should give me shots at about 9 bar.

I have put the no burn wand all back together. I personally found no difference in the steam getting dryer by removing the silicon tip but after years of having to have a wet cloth to wipe the steam tip all came back. So since I noticed no performance diff with the two hole tip I put the silicon back in.

My 4 hole steam tip came last Saturday, love it.  The two hole created a turbulence I had a tough time managing, the four hole is what I have always used on my old machine so moments after it was on my steam routine became easy.

I am switching to a different bean for the first time with the Duetto. Well it will start with an Ethiopian in the morning then a brazil for afternoon, from there I will decide if a blend of the two is wanted. Looking forward to the change, I have been on a long kick of roasting water processed beans but it is time to step back on the wild side.
cuznvin

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II
Grinder: MACAP M4 Stepless /Baratza...
Drip: YouBrew
Posted Fri Feb 1, 2013, 3:31pm

germantownrob Said:

So I had the hood off today, a nut came loose on the bottom of the machine below the brew boiler, I have no idea what it holds down since I can't see but I put it back on and tightened it up (this was all done under the machine).  

With the top off I decided to lower the pressure and investigate the noise from the pump that has been back sporadically even with a 4g reduction from my HQ basket. There is a lot of movement from the pump especially when the flow is being reduced or against a blind. The shield from the water reservoir and the pump are basically touching and with the sides off it was really loud, I wedged some high heat tape in between them and this helped but everything seemed so much louder with out the sides on. Pressure was reduced to just over 9bar when it fully ramps up, should give me shots at about 9 bar.

I have put the no burn wand all back together. I personally found no difference in the steam getting dryer by removing the silicon tip but after years of having to have a wet cloth to wipe the steam tip all came back. So since I noticed no performance diff with the two hole tip I put the silicon back in.

My 4 hole steam tip came last Saturday, love it.  The two hole created a turbulence I had a tough time managing, the four hole is what I have always used on my old machine so moments after it was on my steam routine became easy.

I am switching to a different bean for the first time with the Duetto. Well it will start with an Ethiopian in the morning then a brazil for afternoon, from there I will decide if a blend of the two is wanted. Looking forward to the change, I have been on a long kick of roasting water processed beans but it is time to step back on the wild side.

Posted February 1, 2013 link

My question is... Where do you keep that humongous roaster?
germantownrob
germantownrob

Posted Fri Feb 1, 2013, 3:39pm

cuznvin Said:

My question is... Where do you keep that humongous roaster?

It is in the garage next to the Camaro. Thanks for the reminder, I need go pre heat it for a roast session tonight. It weighs a lot but it really isn't that big, an IR 12 is big.

Oh yeah, to add to the above post I decided to leave the 10mm hex bolts off this time. Not sure if the Duetto 2 case has the same clips to hold the cover on but on mine things seem to be secure enough. Shall see when a few dozen shots are pulled if extra rattles from vibration happen, if not those bolts and washers will live in the drawer.
jwoodyu
jwoodyu

Posted Fri Feb 1, 2013, 6:03pm

Yes the II has the two hex bolts on the right and left sides near the top in the front. I had the hood off of mine just this evening changing the OPV which was starting to vent. Simple job just but your wrench on the adaptor between the OPV and boiler to take the old one out. Put the new one on a new adaptor while it is off the boiler nice and snug then back on the boiler.

I did notice that insulation on my steam boiler shrank and has become brittle. The straps that wrap it on to the boiler are really quit loose so their must have been some shrinkage. There are some threads on insulating the boiler so i think I will do that next time.

Yes I put the BDB and CC1 in the same class, yes i have a reason for leaving SCG off my list, yes it is my opinion, yes it is subjective as opinions are by definition, no don't start a flame war because you disagree.
germantownrob
germantownrob

Posted Fri Feb 1, 2013, 6:34pm

jwoodyu Said:

Yes the II has the two hex bolts on the right and left sides near the top in the front. I had the hood off of mine just this evening changing the OPV which was starting to vent. Simple job just but your wrench on the adaptor between the OPV and boiler to take the old one out. Put the new one on a new adaptor while it is off the boiler nice and snug then back on the boiler.

I did notice that insulation on my steam boiler shrank and has become brittle. The straps that wrap it on to the boiler are really quit loose so their must have been some shrinkage. There are some threads on insulating the boiler so i think I will do that next time.

I was wondering if the cover has the three clips that hold it on, mine keep it snug so I am trying it with out the bolts.

This part is only thought from my demented mind and are not based on any facts or reality.
I think the Italians are saying " they want what on the boilers, but they want cup warmers, fine give Em what they want, glue this on." Still my cups are toasty from a cold start in just over an hour and my brew boiler never dips down below100f when the in insulated brew boiler is on, so who really won that argument, lol.

If I was to be buying insulation for a boilers I would personally look to Germany and what they use. They take efficiency seriously and tend to test the crap out of potential options. Diclaimer, my Dad is from Germany.
cuznvin

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II
Grinder: MACAP M4 Stepless /Baratza...
Drip: YouBrew
Posted Fri Feb 1, 2013, 6:51pm

germantownrob Said:

I was wondering if the cover has the three clips that hold it on, mine keep it snug so I am trying it with out the bolts.

This part is only thought from my demented mind and are not based on any facts or reality.
I think the Italians are saying " they want what on the boilers, but they want cup warmers, fine give Em what they want, glue this on." Still my cups are toasty from a cold start in just over an hour and my brew boiler never dips down below100f when the in insulated brew boiler is on, so who really won that argument, lol.

If I was to be buying insulation for a boilers I would personally look to Germany and what they use. They take efficiency seriously and tend to test the crap out of potential options. Diclaimer, my Dad is from Germany.

Funny but I don't think the ecm Germany boilers are insulated
jwoodyu
jwoodyu

Posted Fri Feb 1, 2013, 7:28pm

The top of my case is likely quite a bit different than the III. I think if i left the bolts out it would rattle a bit. I took silicone tubing like you use on an aquarium, split it down one side and made little cushions for all the surface edges you cant see when she is closed up. If the cups get on the sides of the case they buzz which drives me crazy.  They do stay nice and warm. I have evicted all but two of my son's latte cups from the top of the machine. I am thinking seriously about cutting it down to 0 latte cups, 2 cap cups and as many 2oz as i can stack up there. My floor is poured terrazzo which kills even ACFs if the get dropped.

If i was going to drive anything but GM it would be German.

germantownrob
germantownrob

Posted Sat Feb 2, 2013, 12:47am

cuznvin Said:

Funny but I don't think the ecm Germany boilers are insulated

I was thinking bigger, maybe those boilers that are not actually used for espresso. I could be wrong.
showing page 12 of 21 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Alex Duetto...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Italian Biscotti Cookies
Premium artisan quality Italian Biscotti cookies. Many flavors!
www.espressozone.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.621706008911)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+