Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Calling all Espresso Geeks
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Calling all...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
Iluvdabean
Iluvdabean
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra/Gaggia...
Grinder: Baratza Preciso/K-A Pro...
Drip: Bonavita BV 1800 TH
Roaster: Nesco 1010/Behmor 1600
Posted Sat Feb 2, 2013, 3:53pm
Subject: Re: Calling all Espresso Geeks

Well thank you for the connection because if I ever get one I will know where to go ask questions. I love roasting myself also but have the Nescoe and Behmor. I took it upon myself to become the coffee missionary
at work when I went upstairs to the office, I have two computer screens now and thankfully I am retiring this June. So this guy says hey lets do our own coffee. A person brought in a new but unused Cuisinart  that is subpar but ok.
I donated my five year MDF to the cause ( yep even with a doser) and Ive been roasting beans from all over and brining in Klatch and others. Now at work they are nice to provide Peets and Charbucks but
now upstairs people are getting hooked on fresh unburnt coffee. You should have seen there eyes when they got into some fresh Costa Rican and the rest. I have two solid converts.

Anyways thank you for the comments. I am finding this very interesting on so many levels. The idea that an espresso machine has such value as to be redeemed through TLC,parts and a little elbow grease
and valued makes the build quality and parts availability issue valuable both to the long term user of a machine and a new person considering a machine. I mean theoretically ( and I say this understanding human
compulsion to want bigger and better things) a person could buy an espresso machine with all the capability they need and keep it for a long long time. Then when you add in the geek factor and
cool factor of someone who can rebuild a machine to fine working order its pretty cool.

frcn Said:

Well, I have been around these machines from the very first one imported to the US (which I still have). I am the Hottop Webmaster having created all the content there as well as creating the owners manuals for them.

Posted February 2, 2013 link

View Profile Contact via ICQ Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Sat Feb 2, 2013, 4:10pm

It is a rotary pump. The motor would not turn it when I first bought the machine.
I took the head off the motor and tried the motor to make sure it worked properly and it did.
The head took a wrench to turn the shaft as it sat for years without being prepared for storage and the corrosion prevented it from turning. Once free, it pumped just fine. And it has been years of daily use now and it just now is showing signs of needing work, it is starting to make noise.

Yes, once you are comfortable working on machines you can find lots of them that need help and the owners are selling cheep. Good deals are out there if you know what you are doing.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Iluvdabean
Iluvdabean

Posted Sat Feb 2, 2013, 4:19pm

Very interesting, you also have seen some water go under the bridge. I presume the ADV-LV and T1 you will keep using and keep up since they are of high build quality and have sentimental value.

JasonBrandtLewis Said:

I started out with a Pavoni Europicola 8 (back when full retail was $299).  In the course of five years, it required zero replacement parts and, in fact, nothing more than routine maintenance -- of course, back in the mid-1970s, who knew from "routine maintenance"?  In other words, I didn't do $#|+ to it, other than wiping down the steam wand.  After the five years, I gave it to a friend, who continued to use it for well over a decade.

I then moved on to a Coffee Gaggia -- think Gaggia Classic minus the 3-way solenoid.  Again, no tweaks, no replacement parts; minimal maintenance (again, in the 1980s, who knew?).  After 13-15 years, it died.  So I replaced it with another one, another Coffee Gaggia.  Again, no tweaks; no replacement parts, minimal maintenance.  It eventually died after some 10-12 years.  OK, not "died" as in dead, but "terminally ill."  This didn't prevent me from giving to my brother-in-law who used it for a couple of more years before getting his own new machine.

Next, in 2006, came a Ala di Vittoria La Valentina full-auto (volumetric dosing) HX pourover espresso machine.  Routine maintenance only, no tweaks.  I did need to have it stripped down and completely descaled once, due to MY neglect re: the in-tank resin filter.  This machine remains in daily use (Mon-Fri) in my office, pulling 3-5 doubles each weekday.

In 2007, I added my Elektra T1 full-auto (volumetric dosing) HX direct-connect espresso machine.  Again, routine maintenance only, though I include in that regular swapping out the filtration cartridges (!).  Had to replace the connector hose, as it cracked when accidentally bent during some construction (i.e.: not the machine's fault).

Cheers,
Jason

Iluvdabean
Iluvdabean

Posted Sat Feb 2, 2013, 4:23pm

To get that from a frozen pump is impressive. You would think if frozen due to rust its would have never worked again.

calblacksmith Said:

It is a rotary pump. The motor would not turn it when I first bought the machine.
I took the head off the motor and tried the motor to make sure it worked properly and it did.
The head took a wrench to turn the shaft as it sat for years without being prepared for storage and the corrosion prevented it from turning. Once free, it pumped just fine. And it has been years of daily use now and it just now is showing signs of needing work, it is starting to make noise.

Yes, once you are comfortable working on machines you can find lots of them that need help and the owners are selling cheep. Good deals are out there if you know what you are doing.

showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Calling all...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.405743122101)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+