Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
ESE capable machine: Ascaso Uno Pro vs Gaggia. Thoughts?
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > ESE capable...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 4 last page next page
Author Messages
KJCaufield

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Fri Feb 1, 2013, 9:16am
Subject: ESE capable machine: Ascaso Uno Pro vs Gaggia. Thoughts?

Hello all,

I have been doing some research into replacing a dying cheapo espresso maker. The problem is the spouse and I have different wants from a machine. While we are both foodies, he likes to tinker & experiment. Me? While I appreciate the results of his tinkering, I usually just want to throw in a ESE pod and be done.

So far it seems there are 2 machines that can easily do both. The Ascaso Uno Professional and the Gaggia. The advantage of the Uno Pro is that is has an already installed PID, and most current owners seem to be happy with it; but, how does it compare to a Gaggia, which people have claimed can be used for making a 'god shot'? And for that matter, which Gaggia? There are so many models that it makes one's head spin. I was leaning towards the Classic as that seems to be the favored model.

Thoughts?

We would be open to different machines too. And yes, we will likely be getting a new grinder too.

Thank you!!!
 View Profile Link to this post
KJCaufield

Posted Fri Feb 1, 2013, 9:46am
Subject: Re: ESE capable machine: Ascaso Uno Pro vs Gaggia. Or Lelit. Thoughts?

Mon Dieu. Apparently Lelit is another brand. I just discovered them. So add that to the list of possibilities :)
1stline
1stline
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Undisclosed
Grinder: Indisclosed
Vac Pot: Bodum Electric
Drip: None
Roaster: None
Posted Fri Feb 1, 2013, 1:33pm
Subject: Re: ESE capable machine: Ascaso Uno Pro vs Gaggia. Thoughts?

KJCaufield Said:

Hello all,

I have been doing some research into replacing a dying cheapo espresso maker. The problem is the spouse and I have different wants from a machine. While we are both foodies, he likes to tinker & experiment. Me? While I appreciate the results of his tinkering, I usually just want to throw in a ESE pod and be done.

So far it seems there are 2 machines that can easily do both. The Ascaso Uno Professional and the Gaggia. The advantage of the Uno Pro is that is has an already installed PID, and most current owners seem to be happy with it; but, how does it compare to a Gaggia, which people have claimed can be used for making a 'god shot'? And for that matter, which Gaggia? There are so many models that it makes one's head spin. I was leaning towards the Classic as that seems to be the favored model.

Thoughts?

We would be open to different machines too. And yes, we will likely be getting a new grinder too.

Thank you!!!

Posted February 1, 2013 link

Sorry, I can not comment on Gaggia as we do not sell them. However, the Steel Uno Professional V2 was tested with pods. It does ok with just changing the filter basket to the included pod basket. However, with most machines I tested, a machine (that does pods and ground coffee) fall into in one of the folowing categories:

a) Does a better job with ground coffee because the dispersion screen in the grouphead is for ground coffee, and pods are the afterthought, or
b) does a better job with pods becasue the grouphead and dispersion screen is designed for pods, but leaves too much air space for ground coffee. Thus, the regular filter screens are an afterthought.

This is why Rancilio sells the grouphead kit for the Silvia so ESE pods work much better, but then it becomes horrible on the ground coffee side when the kit is installed. This holds true for so many set ups I have experienced,

I have yet to see a solution that does ground coffee and pods at highly acceptable levels without having to change grouphead parts, etc. I have a fairly decent solution for E61 machines.

Personally, I would not get the Lelit for pods as the Ascaso Steel Uno Pro set up does a better job. Again, not as good as a machine better designed for pods.

I hope this helps!

Sincerely,
Jim Piccinich
Business Partner
1st-line Equipment, LLC
www.1st-line.com

Follow us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/1stline
Twitter: http://twitter.com/1stline
Blog: http://1st-line.blogspot.com/
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/1stlineespresso
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
KJCaufield

Posted Fri Feb 1, 2013, 3:09pm

Thank you Jim, and point taken :)

Well, I have to say we would rather have a machine that did a better job with the grounds than the pods. The machine would only occasionally be used for pods.

We looked into the Silvia conversion, but it seems whenever you want to use a pod, you would have to empty the water tank, flip the machine over, remove the original filter and screw in the adapter. At that point it killed the simplicity behind using a pod.  We assumed you could not use the ESE adapter for pulling a normal shot.

The E61 is a Briccoletta?  Per your site, it is this machine "Lever Activated Grouphead with Water Reservoir"? It does pods too then?
1stline
1stline
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Undisclosed
Grinder: Indisclosed
Vac Pot: Bodum Electric
Drip: None
Roaster: None
Posted Fri Feb 1, 2013, 4:33pm

KJCaufield Said:

Thank you Jim, and point taken :)
...The E61 is a Briccoletta?  Per your site, it is this machine "Lever Activated Grouphead with Water Reservoir"? It does pods too then?

Yes, with the special red filter pod handle.

Sincerely,
Jim Piccinich
Business Partner
1st-line Equipment, LLC
www.1st-line.com

Follow us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/1stline
Twitter: http://twitter.com/1stline
Blog: http://1st-line.blogspot.com/
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/1stlineespresso
Gig103

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Drip: French press!
Posted Wed Feb 27, 2013, 3:20pm

I'd suggest a Saeco Aroma. For you and your pods you use the pressurized portafilter, and your husband can tinker with a quality grinder and unpressurized portafilter. Temperature surfing or adding a PID is important with both.
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Wed Feb 27, 2013, 7:25pm

Welcome, Kristin, to CG . . .

KJCaufield Said:

Hmmmm . . . why ESE?

I understand the convenience factor, but there is no ESE pod that is as good as freshly roasted beans, freshly ground.

Standard Questions:
1)  What kind of drinks do you like/want to make?  (This will tell us what you need in terms of a machine's capabilities.)
2)  How many drinks, on average, do you see yourself needing to make at ay one time? (This will tell us what you need in terms of a machine's ability to work continuously.)
3)  How many drinks, on average, do you see yourself making in any given week?  (This will tell us what you need in terms of a machine's durability.)
4)  Can you plumb a machine directly into the water supply, or do you want/need a pourover machine with its own reservoir?
5)  Do you have a 20-amp circuit available, or only a (standard) 15-amp circuit?
6)  What is your budget for a new machine?  Does that also include a grinder?  If not, what is your budget for a grinder?

And a couple of things to keep in mind.

The Four M's of Espresso:
1) the Macinazione is the grinder, and with it, the correct grinding of the coffee beans;
2) the Miscela is the coffee beans/blend itself;
3) the Macchina is the espresso machine; and
4) the Mano is the skilled hand of the barista.  

All four are important.  Nothing is more important than the grinder.

/ / / / /

Babbie's Rule* of Fifteens:
-- Green (unroasted) coffee beans should be roasted within 15 months, or they go stale.
-- Roasted coffee beans should be ground within 15 days, or they go stale.
-- Ground coffee should be used within 15 minutes, or it goes stale.

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
KJCaufield

Posted Sat Mar 9, 2013, 2:08pm

Gig103 Said:

I'd suggest a Saeco Aroma. For you and your pods you use the pressurized portafilter, and your husband can tinker with a quality grinder and unpressurized portafilter. Temperature surfing or adding a PID is important with both.

Posted February 27, 2013 link

LOL! Gig, that is my personal machine of choice, but the hubby snubbed anything that did an auto tamp ;b This is why I was looking at the Gaggia or the Aseco. Although Newegg has a Aroma for pretty cheap right now...
KJCaufield

Posted Sun Mar 10, 2013, 7:47am

Jason. I understand, but they are better than Staryucks, and I just don't want to deal with the hassle.  I'm short to boot, so pressing pucks on the counter is not going to be easy for me. And the more we learn the more I go, ugh, hassle LOL. Now if we had a cafe and were dialing in our grind for out specific roast etc every morning, fine. But just for an occasional shot of espresso, meh. Indeed one reviewer sold his Rancillo & Gaggia to get a k-cup machine just for that reason. He just didn't have the time in the morning to make a shot and wanted something decent going out the door; thus, found he was not using his better machines. Now the spouse on the other hand does like to tinker and I know he will. Hence the search for the machines that will do both.

To answer your other questions:
1) Are you referring to milk based drinks (such as a latte) vs espresso shots? We drink both, but mostly milk based. We occasionally drink french press too.  
2) Usually one to two. Rare occasions maybe more, but we don't tend to host parties. So I don't think we need a double boiler. We have been eyeballing a heat exchange though. I think some of those can do ESE pods too? I have heard mixed information on that.
3) That depends on the spouse. I'm going to guess on average 5 times a week?
4) Not currently. We were not looking for a machine that plumbs, but if it can be moded, maybe in a later house. The machine is just for home use.  
5) No. Just a regular old house with 15amp.
6) No set budget. Essentially we want a good quality machine that will last a long time, is reasonably priced enough that it will offset going out to get coffee, pulls a tasty shot of coffee, does not take forever to warm up, and that is easy for me to use yet can also be tinkered with by the spouse. A PID would be nice too. So, in other words, as much as he wants one, I think the $6000 La Marzocco is a little overboard ;b A heat exchange however does looks nice, but that even may be overkill?

Re: grinder, we are leaning towards at the Baratza Vario after talking to some local baristas. The Mazzer mini is nice too, but we do occasionally drink French press

Heh, the more we learn, the harder it seems to be to decide...
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Sun Mar 10, 2013, 9:35am

A few thoughts:

Oscar is a HX and can be fitted to pods and has tons of steam power for milk drinks.  I think a pod Oscar would be a great office machine.

Cold brew is also good in milk drinks and doesn't take fancy equipment.  If you are a foodie you probably already have strainers and stuff.  I use it for road trips and camping rather than depend on gas station coffee.  Thin with hot or cold water or milk.

If you like french press then why not do french press when you don't want to tamp/grind etc. and have a good regular espresso machine for when you do?  Otherwise you give up quality on one side or the other.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
showing page 1 of 4 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > ESE capable...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.448487043381)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+