Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
La Cimbali Junior help
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > La Cimbali...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
meatgarden

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Wed Jan 30, 2013, 10:20pm
Subject: La Cimbali Junior help

I have an old La Cimbali Junior I'd like a little info on. I'm interested in it's age for one. Also I'd be interested in value. It was regularly maintained by a professional company and used in a busy restaurant daily until it was replaced. It runs on 110 and has to be plumbed. I can provide a pic of the factory info plate on the front if needed. Any help would be nice, thanks.

meatgarden: ess1.JPG
(Click for larger image)
 View Profile Link to this post
meatgarden

Posted Thu Jan 31, 2013, 11:11am
Subject: Re: La Cimbali Junior help

Does this information have a date code? Any idea when this machine was made. Belongs to the machine above.

meatgarden: ess2.JPG
meatgarden

Posted Thu Jan 31, 2013, 11:45pm

C'mon, sixty views, no one? How about a decade? Within ten years can any person give me an estimated date of manufacture? Is this machine as described worth saving or should I drive it to Metro and put in in the metal recycle bin?
Markarian
Markarian
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: ECM Technika IV Profi WT-WC
Grinder: Baratza Forte AP, HG One
Vac Pot: Bunn Trifecta MB
Drip: Moka, Aeropress, Hario V60
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Fri Feb 1, 2013, 4:56am

Key Phrase: "It has to be plumbed"

This forum is mostly full of people who have expensive boutique machines that are designed for home use and don't need to be plumbed in. I've posted about commercial machines before and gotten a surprising amount of head-scratching and crickets, so don't feel bad. For what it's worth, the machine looks really cool and I'm trying to figure out why you're thinking of scrapping it, just because you can't find a date code. Have you hooked it up and tried it out? Does it come with a pump and a motor?
germantownrob
germantownrob

Espresso: Duetto 3, A Dead Oscar
Grinder: Vario-W, Preciso w/Esatto,...
Drip: Brazen
Roaster: Diedrich IR-1, HT B
Posted Fri Feb 1, 2013, 6:02am

Markarian Said:

Key Phrase: "It has to be plumbed"

This forum is mostly full of people who have expensive boutique machines that are designed for home use and don't need to be plumbed in. I've posted about commercial machines before and gotten a surprising amount of head-scratching and crickets, so don't feel bad. For what it's worth, the machine looks really cool and I'm trying to figure out why you're thinking of scrapping it, just because you can't find a date code. Have you hooked it up and tried it out? Does it come with a pump and a motor?

Posted February 1, 2013 link

http://www.chriscoffee.com/products/home/espresso/juniord many people have or had this machine, it was top of my list but went with the Duetto since the shipments of DT1s has been delayed.

Europe writes dates as day, month year so it is 10/01/2002. Many easily answered questions from google go unanswered especially from new members looking to make a profit from our knowledge.
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Fri Feb 1, 2013, 7:51am

germantownrob Said:

Many easily answered questions from google go unanswered especially from new members looking to make a profit from our knowledge.

Yes, well, there's that.  There's also a bit of resistance, I suspect, from people who come here (seemingly) just to say "How much is this worth?" so they can post it for sale on eBay and never really participate in our community.

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
meatgarden

Posted Fri Feb 1, 2013, 11:31am

Thanks for the responces, I appreciate them.
Markarian- It works flawlessly, and I wouldn't scrap it. Don't know about pumps and motors, I know all it needs is to be plugged in and plumbed as I did the opposite when I removed it.

germantownrob- I believe the 110/2 refers to voltage. Googled images show a similar info plate with 220/2 in the same spot. I believe this machine is quite a bit older than '02.

I get the resistance to the asking for value thing too. However, I am using your pleasant and public forum to educate myself as a seller. I wouldn't want to give it away any more than I would want to attempt to screw someone. Knowing it's age and any other pertinent information just helps myself and a future owner make a better, more informed decision. This is the most I can do to participate as coffee is not a hobby of mine. Even though I live in inner southeast Portland a stones throw from some of the finest coffee my french press is the most advanced item I am likely to own. Again, I'd like info so when a transaction takes place, two people are very happy and the hobby is not tainted by a couple of people with bad feelings from ill-informed decisions. The machine will stay local for what thats worth, not about to ship a boat anchor. Thanks again.
dyqik

Espresso: Bezzera BZ07 PM
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso Preciso...
Vac Pot: Cona D
Drip: Bona-Vita, CCD, Aeropress.
Roaster: Gene Cafe, Modded Poppers
Posted Fri Feb 1, 2013, 12:17pm

I'm pretty sure you're right about the 110/2 being the voltage and phase information - that's a fairly standard format for that, while a date would almost never be written as 0110/02 - there'd always be a / between day and month if there's one between the month and year.
germantownrob
germantownrob

Espresso: Duetto 3, A Dead Oscar
Grinder: Vario-W, Preciso w/Esatto,...
Drip: Brazen
Roaster: Diedrich IR-1, HT B
Posted Fri Feb 1, 2013, 1:03pm

dyqik Said:

I'm pretty sure you're right about the 110/2 being the voltage and phase information - that's a fairly standard format for that, while a date would almost never be written as 0110/02 - there'd always be a / between day and month if there's one between the month and year.

Looking at it again I see, when I first looked it seemed to have a noticeable gap between the 1s. It would take some doing to make the machine look like that in ten years, lol.

The machine is a darn good one but if it doesn't work or needs lots of internal work it will take a good bit of money and elbow grease. I know a case isn't a perfect indication of what it looks like inside but it looks like a whole lot of elbow grease will be needed to look good and probably work.
meatgarden

Posted Fri Feb 1, 2013, 2:00pm

Thanks for the replies.

Again, as stated in my posts this machine is mechanically and functionally perfect. It was used daily in a busy restaurant until it was replaced with a larger machine. This machine was maintained and serviced regularly by a professional company every coffee drinker in the Northwest is aware of.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > La Cimbali...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Green Unroasted Coffee
Free shipping. Save 15% on variety pack, use 'variety' at checkout
www.madbeanscoffee
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.438412189484)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+