Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Helping out a newbie that is overwhelmed with choices
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Helping out a...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 4 of 5 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
SStones
SStones
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Giga 5, ECM Giotto, Rocket...
Grinder: Anfim Milano-Best
Vac Pot: No  :(
Drip: Some $30 thing from Walmart
Roaster: I buy pre-roasted.
Posted Thu Feb 7, 2013, 4:25am
Subject: Re: Helping out a newbie that is overwhelmed with choices

Sorry to throw in another 2 cents on the frozen beans topic but it should be pointed out...
Let your frozen beans, whether in bag or jar or whatever, sit on the counter and rise up to room temperature before you break the seal. You won't get that whoosh of air rushing into the jar, but you don't want to. When the warm, humid air rushes in and around those frozen beans, water droplets condense on their surface, slightly moisten the beans, then evaporate away. This has the same effect as a couple days of exposure/aging.  If the beans are at room temperature before the seal is opened, there won't be any condensation and aging will be at a normal rate.
 View Profile Link to this post
ATLDiver

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Thu Feb 7, 2013, 6:00am

My unit came with both a double and single shot pressurized filter plus a double-shot non-pressurized one. Per Gaggia's recommendations I used the double-shot pressurized filter, I'll use this for a few days until I get the hang of it.
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4, Pharos,...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Thu Feb 7, 2013, 6:43am

SStones Said:

Sorry to throw in another 2 cents on the frozen beans topic but it should be pointed out...
Let your frozen beans, whether in bag or jar or whatever, sit on the counter and rise up to room temperature before you break the seal.

Posted February 7, 2013 link

couldn't agree more!  In fact, I check my hoppers each night before going to bed, and then take a jar out of the freezer if needed, so it has the entire night to come to room temp.

SStones Said:

You won't get that whoosh of air rushing into the jar...

not my experience at all.  In fact, I get a whoosh every time I open a jar...well, actually it's like a sharp pop with a burst-like puff.

I use Ball canning jars, 4oz, 8oz, and 16oz, I fill them to the max when my shipments arrive (typically two or three days post roast), put the lids on loosely and leave them on the counter for at least several hours (usually overnight), then crank the lids tight (sometimes hear a bean crack), and then put them in the freezer right away.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
ATLDiver

Posted Thu Feb 7, 2013, 6:49am

That's what I plan on doing, I have a Foodsavor with a mason-jar attachment so that would be easier. You mentioned your shipments arriving, I assume you're buying your beans online...if I may ask where and are they fresh?
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Thu Feb 7, 2013, 7:10am

ATLDiver Said:

I assume you're buying your beans online . . .

For those of us who do not roast our own beans, I'd say the overwhelming majority of us buy online -- anecdotally, I'd say it's more than 90 percent of the (non-home roasting) regulars here.

ATLDiver Said:

. . . if I may ask where and are they fresh?

No, Sean, we all go out and buy stale beans because they're so much better!  ;^)

Sean, take a look at "the list" here.  Every one 99% of these roasters will roast-and-ship the same day.  (I'm giving myself a tiny bit of wiggle room just in case there's one on there that doesn't.)  They roast-to-order.

We each have our favorites; mine is Red Bird in Montana.  As I mentioned above, I generally order over the weekend, on Monday at the latest.  My order gets roasted AND shipped on Tuesday, and it arrives at my front door on Thursday.  (For more comments about Red Bird, look here.)

I'd call that fresh.

One minor note of caution:  I won't order from roasters located east of the Mississippi River unless they ship via flat rate USPS Priority Mail.  The longest the postal service takes to deliver is three days (Sundays not included).  Both FexEx and UPS ground services will take five days coast-to-coast, not including Saturdays, Sundays, and holidays.  In terms of actually calendar days, I've had shipments take as long as ten days, but the shipping company swears that 10=5 . . . go figure.  Anyway, USPS will get my coffee from the roaster in, say, New York or Pennsylvania to my home in California in three days -- something to consider when ordering from roasters far away from Atlanta.  

Again, I've never had a problem with Priority Mail getting my freshly roasted coffee beans delivered on time.

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
RichardCoffee

Espresso: gaggia baby twin, mini...
Grinder: fiorenzato pietro 63mm,...
Roaster: weber grill with rk drum,...
Posted Thu Feb 7, 2013, 7:20am

I use my MDF grinder as a travel machine.  Last time I used it, in early January, I was using the 4 setting for espresso.  6 is pretty high and might be right for a lighter roast, but, in my experience, it would be way too coarse - especially for darker and/or older beans.

Bean2friends
D4F

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Thu Feb 7, 2013, 9:23am

ATLDiver Said:

Hopefully I'll steadily improve but so far I'm pleased with the results. One thing I have to work on is my steaming, that by far seems to be the biggest challenge. Thanks to all for the advice....

Posted February 6, 2013 link

Steaming answer in about a 15 minute simple swap.

http://www.espressoparts.com/R_1054?&search_id=2004195

There are other sources as they are backordered.  A very popular item with Gaggia owners, and partsshipfree from there.

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
D4F

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Thu Feb 7, 2013, 9:26am

As others have suggested, ditch the pressurized pf.  You will have to learn all over and the grinder and tamp will be totally different.  Freshly roasted beans and the non-pressurized is easy to use.  I did similar about 1 year ago.

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4, Pharos,...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Thu Feb 7, 2013, 10:33am

I buy off the "list of favorites" on the home barista site.  some I was buying before I ever saw that list, and others I found on that list.  No matter though, there are so many good roasters on there, I will unlikely ever get through all of them.  My main staples are Red Bird (Espresso and Blue Jaguar Espresso), and Klatch Roasting (WBC).  They roast and ship on the same day and I get both through Priority Mail 2 (RB) or 3 (Klatch) days later, like clockwork.

Speaking of Klatch WBC...today I pulled myself the best double I've ever made at home with it.  It was utterly amazing...in my mind, a God shot!

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
ATLDiver

Posted Thu Feb 7, 2013, 11:31am

Thanks for that 'list,' I found a couple places I plan on sampling from that's close. Also I found a local place highly rated nearby, (Land of a Thousand Hills,) I'll swing by this weekend and try.
showing page 4 of 5 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Helping out a...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Oy, Don't Forget the Tea
Because not everyone drinks coffee.  Organic, English Breakfast tea, as low as $16/lb.
www.coffeeproject.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.499307155609)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+