Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
crema too blonde
Quick Mill Machines
Free extended warranty & shipping. Enter email for best price / match
espressooutlet.net

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > crema too blonde  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
Smclaughlin

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Nuova simonelli...
Roaster: Naviera coffee mills tampa...
Posted Thu Jan 31, 2013, 7:18am
Subject: crema too blonde

I have a ns oscar that I bought used. It has been working ok, though I just replaced the brain after the reservoir light would stay on and eventually the only thing that came on was the power light after some suffering I went ahead and bought the auto fill circuit installed it and since yesterday it has been working. The only thing though is that the shots come out blonde and im afraid the shots taste weak....does anyone have any advice...?
 View Profile Link to this post
dyqik

Espresso: Bezzera BZ07 PM
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso Preciso...
Vac Pot: Cona D
Drip: Bona-Vita, CCD, Aeropress.
Roaster: Gene Cafe, Modded Poppers
Posted Thu Jan 31, 2013, 7:44am
Subject: Re: crema too blonde

A few more points of information will be needed to give some useful answers - Is it fully up to temperature?  What pressure is the boiler set to?  What cooling flush routine are you doing?  How long is it taking to extract the shot?  What dose and shot volume?  Which basket?  Which grinder?
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Thu Jan 31, 2013, 8:20am

He has no pressure gauge but he needs to warm the machine for 5-10 min, vent the steam and let it warm up 30 mins or so more.  Then try again.  Also, under extracted is blonde so might need a finder grind.  Also flush out 4-6 oz till the water comes out in a steady stream before pulling your shot.  This is called the water dance and it is a cooling flush to get out the super heated water out of an idle HX machine before pulling the shot.  If you are doing 2 or more shots in a row you don't have to do it after the first time.  Because you are using the water so it is not sitting still and getting over heated because it is moving through the boiler.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Smclaughlin

Posted Thu Jan 31, 2013, 1:16pm

i currently get my beans from a local roaster and then go to sweetbay and use their grinder at their coffee isle their grinder seems to be pretty heavy duty and has a turkish grind option so thats what i grind it to and the beans come out like powder hence the turkish grind. i basically have the boiler pressure temp which i have adjusted quite occassionally 3/4 to the + side on the pstat ,dont really know how many degrees that is or if its proper.

this morning i let it heat up for about 10 minutes let steam out then about ~10 min later pulled the first shot it was  warm  the next shot i pulled ~ 10 min later and it was a little warmer hence the point coffeenoobie made about leaving it on for longer ( not as hot as i liked) im afraid though.

but time restrained also as i had to rush off to school.i havent been timing every time but the time i did it took a minute to pull 2 oz with the turkish grind im talking about...Grind  too fine?

im thinking about buying a hario mini mill as my funds are limited for freshness concerns rather than grinding the pound i but all at once...

thanks for the advice you guys..... any more insight?
Jmanespresso
Jmanespresso
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Alex Duetto II
Grinder: Compak K10 - Vario
Vac Pot: Yama-SY5/SY8/TCA5
Drip: V60, Beehouse, CCD
Roaster: Hottop B
Posted Thu Jan 31, 2013, 1:27pm

You're not going to get any decent results without a proper grinder.

First, using that grinder in the store is not the proper type of grinder for espresso.  Its not just about how fine the coffee is, its how it got that way and what the actual particles look like.

Two, the coffee is stale before you get a chance to use it.  After grinding coffee, you've got about 15minutes to use it.  MAX.  

Definitely get the Hario, I would suggest the Skerton.  Then save up for an electric grinder designed for espresso.

Follow Your Bliss

Coffee makes your constantly overcome your prejudices and re-evaluate your own "received wisdoms" when it comes to judging cup flavors. -Tom Owen, SweetMarias
 View Profile Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
Smclaughlin

Posted Thu Jan 31, 2013, 2:09pm

thanks for the suggestion..... ill try to order the hario today interesting point about its not about fineness but how the particles got that way i guess ive underestimated the process.......
  i apreciate the feedback...
CMIN

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Thu Jan 31, 2013, 2:45pm

Those big grinders stores/supermarkets use suck, I've done the "turkish" setting before, not even suitable grind for turkish coffee let alone espresso either. So that and then grinds going stale fast like mentioned = fast blonde/gushing shots = blechh lol

I have a Hario Slim, tricky getting right setting, usually end up between and have to adjust dose up/down to get a good pull, but it's espresso capable. Just have it around before I got the Preciso.
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Thu Jan 31, 2013, 5:36pm

Grinder, grinder grinder!

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > crema too blonde  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Great Espresso at Home
Curated selection of the best machines from La Spaziale, Izzo, Quick Mill, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.361989021301)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+