Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Gaggia Classic Priming
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Gaggia Classic...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
Ceridan
Ceridan
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Grinder: Hario Slim
Posted Wed Jan 30, 2013, 8:39am
Subject: Gaggia Classic Priming

Hi!

Please would someone explain to me what is the concept of priming and what good it is? I have rather new GC and the manual says it has an "auto-priming" function.

I do it every time before I prepare an espresso, just as the machine manual says thinking it is to clean the head and let the most hot steam/water pour out. But maybe I'm mistaken :)

Thanks
 View Profile Link to this post
dyqik

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Bezzera BZ07 PM
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso Preciso...
Vac Pot: Cona D
Drip: Bona-Vita, CCD, Aeropress.
Roaster: Gene Cafe, Modded Poppers
Posted Wed Jan 30, 2013, 9:42am
Subject: Re: Gaggia Classic Priming

Priming the machine is to get water into the pipes from the pump to the boiler and to fill the boiler.  The auto priming feature on the newer Classics vents air from the pipes leading to the boiler so that the pump can prime, and then closes once pressure builds up in those pipes.  This valve is known to fail fairly often and so some users remove it when this happens.

You should only need to prime if the boiler has been emptied or the pipes leading to the boiler vented somehow - either by deliberately draining it, letting the pump run on an empty tank or by steaming until the boiler runs dry.  Leaving the boiler heater on (i.e. machine on) on a dry boiler isn't completely fatal to a Gaggia Classic (the element and thermostat is on the outside of the boiler, and is thus designed not to fail with a dry boiler - unlike other machines e.g. Silvia), but you should still avoid running the boiler dry as it will speed up the deposition of scale in the boiler.  

After steaming, you should refill the boiler by pressing the brew switch with the steam switch on and the steam valve open - run it until water comes out of the wand, then switch off the pump, switch off the steam switch and close the steam valve to let the machine return to the state where it's ready to brew coffee.  This method is also the way to get hot water from the steam wand for making americano.

Cleaning the group head should be done by either running a little water through the group without the portafilter in the place (flushing) between each shot, and by backflushing - running some water into the group with the portafilter in place with either a blind basket or a backflushing disk (something that sits in the basket to block the flow through the basket).  You can backflush fairly often with plain water - say after every session of pulling drinks, or weekly if you only pull one drink in a session, and use an (aluminum safe) espresso cleaner in basket for backflushing every month or so (dependent on amount of use).
D4F

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Wed Jan 30, 2013, 2:33pm

Ceridan Said:

the manual says it has an "auto-priming" function.

I do it every time before I prepare an espresso, just as the machine manual says thinking it is to clean the head and let the most hot steam/water pour out.

Posted January 30, 2013 link

Sorry to ask for clarification/verification of the self priming valve, but could you take the top off of the machine and look for the steam valve assembly and confirm the self priming valve.  I have not heard of this in the Classic, and show it here for you to verify.  It should look like part 12 and tube 11 on this "Deluxe" diagram.

http://www.partsguru.com/user/Espresso-Espresso%20Deluxe.pdf

The Classic diagram shows the difference, no valve or tube on part 7.

Click Here (www.partsguru.com)

I am trying to confirm that they have really changed.  Before long, you will likely want to put a plug in place of the priming valve as they develop leaks.

If you prime "every time before I prepare an espresso"  do you mean just before brewing the espresso, or as you are warming the machine?  Are you manually priming with a self prime valve?  Are you opening the steam valve and turning on the pump with the brew switch?  No need to hit the steam switch unless you do not want water out the group.  I prime after steaming by leaving the wand open, turning off the steam switch and thus not further heating, and turning on the pump.  Water will go out the wand until the boiler is full and then come out the wand and group.  

If you do any priming shortly before the brew, how are you maintaining temperature?  The boiler is small and you would be putting in cold water and dropping the temperature.  You can learn to surf the temperature by causing the heater to turn back on this way, if that is what you are trying.

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
Ceridan
Ceridan

Posted Thu Jan 31, 2013, 8:23am

Thank you both.

What I usually do is that I switch the machine on, wait for 15-20 minutes, flush some water into a cup (and thus heating it, later I empty it) and put the portafilter in (to heat it). Then I grind coffee in my hand grinder, take out the portafilter, put the basket in, fill the basket, tamp it, put it all on asna start brewing coffee.

Good or bad? :)

@D4F There is nothing on my Classic as you describe.

Btw, can I unplug the wire used to heat up the place used to heat cups? (I know, very cumbersome description.)

Ceridan: IMAG0273.jpg
(Click for larger image)
dyqik

Espresso: Bezzera BZ07 PM
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso Preciso...
Vac Pot: Cona D
Drip: Bona-Vita, CCD, Aeropress.
Roaster: Gene Cafe, Modded Poppers
Posted Thu Jan 31, 2013, 8:34am

Umm, there isn't a specific cup warmer heater in the Classic - the heat from the boiler does that.  So there's no wire that can be removed.

Your procedure sounds right, although I'd put the PF in at the start to get it properly up to temperature.  I'm not sure what the question about priming is now though.
dspear99ca

Espresso: Gaggia Coffee
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Posted Thu Jan 31, 2013, 8:35am

D4F Said:

Sorry to ask for clarification/verification of the self priming valve, but could you take the top off of the machine and look for the steam valve assembly and confirm the self priming valve.  I have not heard of this in the Classic, and show it here for you to verify.  It should look like part 12 and tube 11 on this "Deluxe" diagram.

The Classic has no self-prime valve... only the lower-end Coffee.  I have plugged it on mine as it started to slowly bubble when the machine was at temp.  The problem is that it uses a rubber ball to seat and seal the "valve" and heat bakes the rubber until it is no longer soft enough to seal.  Extremely cheap short-lifespan design, and unnecessary to boot.
D4F

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Thu Jan 31, 2013, 10:49am

Ceridan Said:

the manual says it has an "auto-priming" function.

Ceridan, thanks for clarifying that the auto-prime in the manual does not mean self prime.  I was fairly sure of that unless they changed the feature on your new machine, the reason to clarify that for the thread.  Now you have gotten to look inside familiarize yourself somewhat :)

Your priming and warm up procedure seem fine, though as mentioned, the PF and basket can be kept on the machine while warming, and removed only for loading the ground coffee.

I believe your extra wire may be a ground wire.  You are in Prague and I am not sure of wiring there, but some Classics have had 3 wires input, one being a ground wire.  If so, there was a ground to the lid/warmer.  In the above Classic diagram, part 4, the metal portion of the lid has a bent down leg at the back where it attaches to the plastic portion.  The down leg is for a ground wire in 3 wire systems.  In the US, we have 2 wire and that leg is not used.  So, do not unplug.

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
Ceridan
Ceridan

Posted Fri Feb 1, 2013, 6:37am

OK, thanks. We have wires with groundind here, so I will not unplug the wire :)
So far I plan to adjust the pressure to ~9 bars, but I don't have the right tools at the moment.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Gaggia Classic...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Green Unroasted Coffee
Free shipping. Save 15% on variety pack, use 'variety' at checkout
www.madbeanscoffee
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.432003974915)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+