Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Trying to Decide R58, Quickmill Qm7,  Breville DB
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Trying to Decide...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 20 of 41 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
cuznvin

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II
Grinder: MACAP M4 Stepless /Baratza...
Drip: YouBrew
Posted Wed Jan 30, 2013, 1:08pm
Subject: Re: Trying to Decide R58, Quickmill Qm7,  Breville DB

Thanks Anthony.. I am right near Stony Brook. Centereach. There is one dealer selling La Valentina machines. I think he is in Nesconset. It is an HX machine though and feel I want a DB. Your comments made the most sense so far..
 View Profile Link to this post
BubbaDude
BubbaDude

Espresso: Breville Dual Boiler
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: Clever Coffee Dripper
Roaster: Hottop 2KB
Posted Wed Jan 30, 2013, 1:09pm

Look kids, this thread isn't about me, it's about PID'ed dual boiler espresso machines and I'm just trying to keep it on-topic. There's a crowd of old-time HX hounds who follow me around CG just to throw pot shots who have showed up on this thread making speeches about all kinds of off-topic stuff. Please ignore them.

Here's an observation: Ten years ago, the discussion about pro-sumer espresso machines was dominated by talk of boilers and pumps, but I'm willing to bet that ten years from now (or sooner) it will be dominated by talk of user interfaces and firmware.

This is the way things go in the 21st century world we live in.

Think of the R58 & QM67 vs. BDB discussion in those terms now and avoid the rush.

"I've Scaced many HX/E61 machines, seeing shot variances of up to 8-10F or more. [The BDB] stays within 1F." - Mark Prince
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Iluvdabean
Iluvdabean

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra/Gaggia...
Grinder: Baratza Preciso/K-A Pro...
Drip: Bonavita BV 1800 TH
Roaster: Nesco 1010/Behmor 1600
Posted Wed Jan 30, 2013, 1:20pm

My concern is that new people who come here and see Trying to Decide R58,Quickmill QM7,Breville DB and somehow think these three are even comparable.

It would be like seeing this Trying to Decide Ferrari 458 Italia, Lamborghini Aventador, Birkin Roadster Oh yeah baby give me that Birkin.

acasabia Said:

Long Island is a bad place for good coffee :( my years at Stony were marked by increased shipping costs on coffee (nearly twice what it was to Westchester) and always a few extra days on the truck..

That aside.
It honestly seems that Bubbadude is the only one here arguing for the BDB. the remaining majority, myself included, are more ambivalent or nervous about one issue or another. This was essentially the same situation I was in a few months ago, and I ended up quite happy with my e61. You definitely do not have to pull this machine apart every couple months. Perhaps if you really screw up something back-flushing, but even then as JonR said, it only takes 15 minutes. I can say however, that you will need to do some maintenence on all of these machines at one point or another, and being able to do so cheaply should be a major concern if you plan on owning the machine for more than a few years. Bubbadude stated earlier that his pretenses for buying the BDB included that in 5 or so years he would probably opt for a newer machine. I dont know about you, but I cant afford to drop a couple grand every five years on a coffee machine, and I would much rather buy one that doesn't need upgrading. These aren't handling complicated algorythyms or computations, it's a thermostat on a boiler and pump, lets not overcomplicate this. The argument that the BDB's techinical advancements will lead to consistently good shots has some merit, but not compared to the thousands of café's which rely on the barista's to know-how to set a grind, tamp, and pull. I know I can walk into Grumpy in NYC anytime of day, at any of their locations and get a great shot, not because of a PID or timed pre-infusion, (they have a rather basic synesso set-up) but because of fresh coffee, and proper training. Some would even argue a PID is more than necessary, I like it because it helps me know when the machine is properly warmed up but short of small adjustments between blends, it's not that critical.

In the case that you buy an e61 and five years from now you decide you want some electronic component present in the newest iMachines, you can always retrofit it. As bubbadude said, these machines often look like retrofitted HX machines. This isn't necessarily true, a lot of thought was placed on how these boilers feed each other, pressure balancing, and usually the effects of multiple thermosyphons on the temperature stability but, these machines are in fact easy to retrofit new components onto.

People similar to Bubbadude will exist for any machine you look at, this isn't a bad thing, nor is it a criticism. It shows that these people have taken the time to familiarize themselves thoroughly with their own equipment and for whatever reason are really dedicated to their "team." I proudly support e61's, in particular the Expobar, but I think because of the e61's diverse utilization we all fall into one group. 20 years from now we will still be trading replacement parts, customizations, and advice. I imagine the BDB users will have upgraded by then.

Posted January 30, 2013 link

View Profile Contact via ICQ Link to this post
joatmon

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Wed Jan 30, 2013, 1:27pm

Removed
Iluvdabean
Iluvdabean

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra/Gaggia...
Grinder: Baratza Preciso/K-A Pro...
Drip: Bonavita BV 1800 TH
Roaster: Nesco 1010/Behmor 1600
Posted Wed Jan 30, 2013, 2:03pm

That is a really valid point and one which a buyer needs to consider. Are these machines easily repaired? Will parts be readily available ? Could it be they are expected to be viewed as a
sort of disposable machine ? You hear of people keeping their Italian machines for years and years. Its like they are made to be worked on and parts are common.
I think thats kind of the point that others were getting at. But I think this dead horse has been beat enough by me. Live and let live is my motto. So on that note im signing
off this thread. Bubbadude enjoy your machine and I say that in all honesty...we are coffee bean brothers.

joatmon Said:

Here's another observation: Ten years from now, my Lambro will be 64 years old and I'll still be pulling great shots from it.  BD will be on his _th BDB.

View Profile Contact via ICQ Link to this post
BubbaDude
BubbaDude

Posted Wed Jan 30, 2013, 6:35pm

Iluvdabean Said:

...we are coffee bean brothers.

Indeed we are, and for me the bean is much more important than the machine. I'm a roaster, so I spend a lot more time worrying about which beans to buy, how to blend them, what roast level to cook them to, and what temp to pull them at.

To me, this whole espresso thing is about 90% bean and 10% machine. So I do have different requirements from a machine than the folks who buy pre-roasted beans. I simply want my espresso machine to be consistent and reliable. I don't want to spend a lot of time fiddling with it because my experiments are pretty much done by the time I blend, roast, grind, dose, and set my extraction temp. There's enough drama in that whole routine to satisfy me.

But I think the BDB looks cool too, in a modern technology way just not in a retro chic way. But that's how I roll.

I would be most happy if the espresso machine I buy in 2017 knows what beans I've got, how I roasted them, and what kind of shot I like, and then adjusts the temperature and pressure profile from beginning to end of the shot to pull out the flavors I like the most and suppress the others. If it could fix itself too, that would also be a plus, but I would settle for self-diagnosis and modular, snap-in repair parts.

Espresso has a long way to go yet.

"I've Scaced many HX/E61 machines, seeing shot variances of up to 8-10F or more. [The BDB] stays within 1F." - Mark Prince
JonR10
JonR10

Espresso: E61 Legend, Livietta,...
Grinder: Robur, B-Vario-W
Vac Pot: Hario Tabletop, Yama...
Drip: Technivorm
Roaster: 1-lb US Roaster, Behmor 1600
Posted Wed Jan 30, 2013, 7:35pm

BubbaDude Said:

Indeed we are......

This is easily my all-time favorite post from you, BD.
It's personal, honest, real, and positive....and without a trace of negativity towards others.  

Beautiful.  

Thank you for your contribution.

-Jon

Jon Rosenthal
Houston, TX
BubbaDude
BubbaDude

Posted Wed Jan 30, 2013, 7:42pm

I had some really nice shots today from sassy little Colombian I've been seeing.

acasabia
acasabia
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Expobar Brewtus iv-p,...
Grinder: Quamar M80e, Hario slim
Vac Pot: Yama Vacpot, Aeropress,
Drip: french press
Roaster: hot-air popper.
Posted Wed Jan 30, 2013, 10:38pm

BubbaDude Said:

I would be most happy if the espresso machine I buy in 2017 knows what beans I've got, how I roasted them, and what kind of shot I like, and then adjusts the temperature and pressure profile from beginning to end of the shot to pull out the flavors I like the most and suppress the others. If it could fix itself too, that would also be a plus, but I would settle for self-diagnosis and modular, snap-in repair parts.

Espresso has a long way to go yet.

not too far off, the new marzocco's have a USB for sharing default preferences across machines. Buy a calibrated tamper and you're all set.

Anthony C

Currently pulling: Whatever Sweet Maria's sends me :D
CSME9
CSME9
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Mitica Top, Spaz...
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky
Drip: Moka Pot
Roaster: BBQ Roaster
Posted Thu Jan 31, 2013, 4:25am

I have a business trip coming up next month to Seattle, i will have to visit SCG and test drive the R58, Izzo 3, and LaSpaziale and go from there. I kinda lucked out with this trip, as it sure makes it easier than buying sight un seen off the web and have to send it back-been there done that before.

WS
showing page 20 of 41 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Trying to Decide...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
SR500 Home Coffee Roaster
Ships with five pounds of beans you get to choose.
coffeeproject.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.455412864685)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+