Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
La Nuova Era Cuadra Owners Thread
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > La Nuova Era...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 78 of 130 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
1stline
1stline
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Undisclosed
Grinder: Indisclosed
Vac Pot: Bodum Electric
Drip: None
Roaster: None
Posted Fri Feb 1, 2013, 9:18am
Subject: Re: La Nuova Era Cuadra E61 HX - $995!

hirschaj Said:

Sounds like a much better policy. I bought my Cuadra II from 1st-Line and have been really happy with both the machine and post-sale service.

Posted January 31, 2013 link

Thanks for the positive feedback!

Sincerely,
Jim Piccinich
Business Partner
1st-line Equipment, LLC
www.1st-line.com

Follow us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/1stline
Twitter: http://twitter.com/1stline
Blog: http://1st-line.blogspot.com/
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/1stlineespresso
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
cruizie

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: La Nuovo Era Cuadra
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Roaster: Poppery
Posted Sat Feb 2, 2013, 7:50am

Can anyone tell me how long their steam pressure stays really strong? I'm having trouble with it staying strong long enough to get 8 to 10 oz. of good microfoam using the stock 2 hole tip. I'm set at 1.1 bar pressure with an idle temp read of about 209. I don't really want to raise the pressure as I'm already flushing about 7 oz. as it is. Thanks!
 View Profile Link to this post
MDiddy

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Technika IV Profi
Grinder: Baratza Forte AP
Drip: Cuisinart DCC-1200
Posted Sat Feb 2, 2013, 10:31am

cruizie Said:

Can anyone tell me how long their steam pressure stays really strong? I'm having trouble with it staying strong long enough to get 8 to 10 oz. of good microfoam using the stock 2 hole tip. I'm set at 1.1 bar pressure with an idle temp read of about 209. I don't really want to raise the pressure as I'm already flushing about 7 oz. as it is. Thanks!

Posted February 2, 2013 link

I have no problems steaming milk.  A 10oz pitcher will get up to temp in about 25-35 seconds for me.  This is with my PStat set to 1.2 BAR with an idle temp around 208 F.

Is it taking you longer than that to get it up to temp?
cruizie

Posted Sat Feb 2, 2013, 2:55pm

Yes it does take a bit longer but I'm streaming 10 oz. in a 20 oz.  pitcher. Would you mind turning on your steam pressure to full power and timing how long it stays at max pressure? How much are you flushing while set at 1.2 bar?
SStones
SStones
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Giga 5, ECM Giotto, Rocket...
Grinder: Anfim Milano-Best
Vac Pot: No  :(
Drip: Some $30 thing from Walmart
Roaster: I buy pre-roasted.
Posted Sat Feb 2, 2013, 4:01pm

With the steam valve wide open, you'll probably get 60 seconds or almost 60 seconds before you can see the volume of steam begin to reduce, but wide open is kind of excessive. You should be able to get adequate steam volume to heat 10 ounces of milk and keep the surface folding under with decent frothing at less than the maximum steam volume a cuadra can do. The cuadra isn't the biggest boiler in the world, but I have spent a lot of time with them and am satisfied that they can produce good, non-sputtering steam for 90+ seconds at least as well as any other machine in its price range. maybe not at wide-open throttle but at reasonable valve opening.
cruizie

Posted Sat Feb 2, 2013, 6:22pm

Well, there you go . . . that's probably my big ol problem.  I was under the impression that more steam is better so I was opening all the way and losing pressure just when I needed to sink the wand and get a good fold going.  Does everyone else just open the steam partially?
MDiddy

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Technika IV Profi
Grinder: Baratza Forte AP
Drip: Cuisinart DCC-1200
Posted Sat Feb 2, 2013, 8:44pm
Subject: Re: La Nuova Era Cuadra Owners Thread

I'll agree to that.  There's no need to go full blast with the steam.  I give it two, maybe three full turns, and that's it.  Gets the milk rolling nicely.

As far as the flush, my Pstat is set at 1.2.  Idle is about 208-210 F.  I need to flush normally 4-6 oz of water to bring the group temp down to about 204.  I then wait 30 seconds or so, and then pull my shot.  Brings the brew temp to about 201-202.

Few questions I have for you guys.  Can anyone recommend a good ridgless double basket that fits the stock portafilter?  Not the VST preferably.  I'd rather not have to buy a new tamper to fit that basket.   Was thinking the LM basket.  Anyone know if that would work?

Also, are the steam and hot water knobs replaceable?  I'd like to swap them out with something nicer like those on the Rocket.  Something with the shiny black plastic like the brew lever and porta handle.
hirschaj
hirschaj
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Cuadra II
Grinder: i-Mini
Posted Sat Feb 2, 2013, 9:07pm

cruizie Said:

Does everyone else just open the steam partially?

Yep, I have never opened the steam valve fully.
slybarman
slybarman
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra
Posted Sun Feb 3, 2013, 6:44am

MDiddy Said:

As far as the flush, my Pstat is set at 1.2.  Idle is about 208-210 F.  I need to flush normally 4-6 oz of water to bring the group temp down to about 204.  I then wait 30 seconds or so, and then pull my shot.  Brings the brew temp to about 201-202.

Few questions I have for you guys.  Can anyone recommend a good ridgless double basket that fits the stock portafilter?  Not the VST preferably.  I'd rather not have to buy a new tamper to fit that basket.   Was thinking the LM basket.  Anyone know if that would work?

Also, are the steam and hot water knobs replaceable?  I'd like to swap them out with something nicer like those on the Rocket.  Something with the shiny black plastic like the brew lever and porta handle.

Your temp/pressure/flush numbers are pretty darn close to where mine are and has been working well for me.

I bought the VST basket a year ago, tried it for a bit and decided I did not care for it. I started using it again the last few days and I decided I actually kind of like it. I cant remember now why I did not care for it the first time around. What dont you like about the double that came with the machine?

With regard to the knobs and porta handle - there is a fellow that makes custom ones from a variety of hardwoods that makes you machine look totally pimp!

Click Here (www.home-barista.com)
cruizie

Posted Sun Feb 3, 2013, 7:00am

Thanks for the steam pressure input.  Turned the knob twice this morning and I still only got 30 seconds of good pressure.  I think I'll kick the Pstat up to 1.2 and see if that helps.
showing page 78 of 130 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > La Nuova Era...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.397079944611)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+