Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Trying to Decide R58, Quickmill Qm7,  Breville DB
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Trying to Decide...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 19 of 41 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
cuznvin

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II
Grinder: MACAP M4 Stepless /Baratza...
Drip: YouBrew
Posted Tue Jan 29, 2013, 9:37pm
Subject: Re: Trying to Decide R58, Quickmill Qm7,  Breville DB

jwoodyu Said:

Honestly make the trip to Chris's show room, fondle QM, R58, Duettos, La Spaziales, a host of HX machines and everything else then pick one, drink coffee , be happy.

The maintenance on the E-61 is cake as JonR pointed out pages ago. If your having to lube it very often then your detergent back flushing it too frequently. After I back flush my lever will pick up a tiny little squeak but you have to really listen to hear it. If it does not go away in the first day or so the it is a 5 minute job to lube it. I can do the beat down clean up job on my Duetto (includes my pulling the screen and gasket twice cause I am freaky that way), grinder, bits and bobs and the counter in less than 30 minutes.

It is not as if you live in Little Rabbit Australia if you do need it serviced down the road.

Posted January 29, 2013 link

Thanks.. I will have to check out one of the retailers showrooms. Believe it or not there are no retailers on Long Island. 200 miles to chris' from where I live. About 3.5 hours.  Maybe Ill take a trip to Sharon Springs, Ny and then head over to Chris'. What part of Michigan are u in?
 View Profile Link to this post
Italo2275

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Wed Jan 30, 2013, 8:55am

Easy guys no need to get upset here.
I think everyones input is good, at the end of the day people will make the choice bases on what they can afford and and what they are looking for.
The BDB is not a bad machine and is the best for that price range. I have tried it out and was not crazy about it, but might be user error.
I have read the forums and the video reviews and from what I gather tghat the E-61 machines do produce a better tasking espresso, so I might go wiht one of those.
Not sure which ones yet but am going to try therm out this week at IDRINKCOFFE in Milton.
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Wed Jan 30, 2013, 9:00am

Italo2275 Said:

Easy guys no need to get upset here.

Posted January 30, 2013 link

Don't let it bother you.  He's relatively harmless, as long as you never say anything against his beloved BDB . . .

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
cuznvin

Posted Wed Jan 30, 2013, 9:11am

JasonBrandtLewis Said:

Don't let it bother you.  He's relatively harmless, as long as you never say anything against his beloved BDB . . .

Morning laughs are always good.. :-)
DST

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia PID
Grinder: Mazzer Mini w/SJ Burrs
Drip: Clever dripper
Posted Wed Jan 30, 2013, 11:28am

cuznvin Said:

Thanks for your comments. I was interested in the Vibiemme DD but a retailer I trust told me they may drop it due to issues with it. Plus I think it is even bigger than the Duetto..

Do you have any details about these issues? I have been researching all of these DB machines as well and had almost decided on the Vibiemme Double Domobar but if it is known to have any significant issues I will continue looking into the other machines. So far I haven't been able to find as much feedback on the Vibiemme as some of the other models like the R58 and Duetto.
cuznvin

Posted Wed Jan 30, 2013, 11:48am

DST Said:

Do you have any details about these issues? I have been researching all of these DB machines as well and had almost decided on the Vibiemme Double Domobar but if it is known to have any significant issues I will continue looking into the other machines. So far I haven't been able to find as much feedback on the Vibiemme as some of the other models like the R58 and Duetto.

I don't have any details.. sorry.  Who were you buying from?
MerleApAmber

Espresso: Breville BES900
Grinder: Baratza Preciso + Esatto
Vac Pot: Yuma
Drip: bah-humbug
Roaster: Hot Top 2K P
Posted Wed Jan 30, 2013, 11:49am

I bought mine on Amazon dot com for 950'ish. Granted, it was holiday season. But I know for a fact that I have a new issue. (I'd previously purchased a used one through the Amazon Warehouse Deals outlet for 979 when the going rate was 1100. I returned the used for the new stock when the holiday season deal came up.) It is not surprising to me to hear people getting these Brevilles new for under a grand.
DST

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia PID
Grinder: Mazzer Mini w/SJ Burrs
Drip: Clever dripper
Posted Wed Jan 30, 2013, 11:57am

cuznvin Said:

I don't have any details.. sorry.  Who were you buying from?

Okay, I guess I will keep looking a little longer before I pull the trigger. If I do go with the Vibiemme I will probably choose between Stefanos and 1st Line.
cuznvin

Posted Wed Jan 30, 2013, 12:08pm

DST Said:

Okay, I guess I will keep looking a little longer before I pull the trigger. If I do go with the Vibiemme I will probably choose between Stefanos and 1st Line.

Try calling the other retailers that sell it and ask them about the machine
acasabia
acasabia
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Expobar Brewtus iv-p,...
Grinder: Quamar M80e, Hario slim
Vac Pot: Yama Vacpot, Aeropress,
Drip: french press
Roaster: hot-air popper.
Posted Wed Jan 30, 2013, 1:53pm

cuznvin Said:

Thanks.. I will have to check out one of the retailers showrooms. Believe it or not there are no retailers on Long Island. 200 miles to chris' from where I live. About 3.5 hours.  Maybe Ill take a trip to Sharon Springs, Ny and then head over to Chris'. What part of Michigan are u in?

Long Island is a bad place for good coffee :( my years at Stony were marked by increased shipping costs on coffee (nearly twice what it was to Westchester) and always a few extra days on the truck..

That aside.
It honestly seems that Bubbadude is the only one here arguing for the BDB. the remaining majority, myself included, are more ambivalent or nervous about one issue or another. This was essentially the same situation I was in a few months ago, and I ended up quite happy with my e61. You definitely do not have to pull this machine apart every couple months. Perhaps if you really screw up something back-flushing, but even then as JonR said, it only takes 15 minutes. I can say however, that you will need to do some maintenence on all of these machines at one point or another, and being able to do so cheaply should be a major concern if you plan on owning the machine for more than a few years. Bubbadude stated earlier that his pretenses for buying the BDB included that in 5 or so years he would probably opt for a newer machine. I dont know about you, but I cant afford to drop a couple grand every five years on a coffee machine, and I would much rather buy one that doesn't need upgrading. These aren't handling complicated algorythyms or computations, it's a thermostat on a boiler and pump, lets not overcomplicate this. The argument that the BDB's techinical advancements will lead to consistently good shots has some merit, but not compared to the thousands of café's which rely on the barista's to know-how to set a grind, tamp, and pull. I know I can walk into Grumpy in NYC anytime of day, at any of their locations and get a great shot, not because of a PID or timed pre-infusion, (they have a rather basic synesso set-up) but because of fresh coffee, and proper training. Some would even argue a PID is more than necessary, I like it because it helps me know when the machine is properly warmed up but short of small adjustments between blends, it's not that critical.

In the case that you buy an e61 and five years from now you decide you want some electronic component present in the newest iMachines, you can always retrofit it. As bubbadude said, these machines often look like retrofitted HX machines. This isn't necessarily true, a lot of thought was placed on how these boilers feed each other, pressure balancing, and usually the effects of multiple thermosyphons on the temperature stability but, these machines are in fact easy to retrofit new components onto.

People similar to Bubbadude will exist for any machine you look at, this isn't a bad thing, nor is it a criticism. It shows that these people have taken the time to familiarize themselves thoroughly with their own equipment and for whatever reason are really dedicated to their "team." I proudly support e61's, in particular the Expobar, but I think because of the e61's diverse utilization we all fall into one group. 20 years from now we will still be trading replacement parts, customizations, and advice. I imagine the BDB users will have upgraded by then.

Anthony C

Currently pulling:
Path Coffee Roasters (PortChester, NY) Feather in cap espresso.

Cold Brewing:
Gimme! (ithaca, NY) Moca Java

http://coffeeandneuroscience.wordpress.com/
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
showing page 19 of 41 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Trying to Decide...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.499025821686)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+