Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Trying to Decide R58, Quickmill Qm7,  Breville DB
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Trying to Decide...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 18 of 41 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
cuznvin

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II
Grinder: MACAP M4 Stepless /Baratza...
Drip: YouBrew
Posted Tue Jan 29, 2013, 9:00pm
Subject: Re: Trying to Decide R58, Quickmill Qm7,  Breville DB

BubbaDude Said:

And for a new R58, the price is $2,699.00. Except they're out of stock, so you really can't buy one for any price. Many people have bought new BDBs, on sale, for under $1000. That's a fact.

Posted January 29, 2013 link

They wont be out of stock for long. I am aware of the prices on all 3 machines. The machines that were purchased for under $1000 were bought around the holidays. Its a once a year sale..usually. Doesnt matter anyway. I'm not buying a chinese manufactured product. I will buy Italian or German...
 View Profile Link to this post
BubbaDude
BubbaDude

Espresso: Breville Dual Boiler
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: Clever Coffee Dripper
Roaster: Hottop 2KB
Posted Tue Jan 29, 2013, 9:04pm

What you buy is your own business, but nobody owns the numbers. The average price of the two Italian jobs is $2432.50, pretty close to double the BDB's retail price.

"I've Scaced many HX/E61 machines, seeing shot variances of up to 8-10F or more. [The BDB] stays within 1F." - Mark Prince
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Iluvdabean
Iluvdabean

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra/Gaggia...
Grinder: Baratza Preciso/K-A Pro...
Drip: Bonavita BV 1800 TH
Roaster: Nesco 1010/Behmor 1600
Posted Tue Jan 29, 2013, 9:05pm

I think you said it best when you said below you dont care about longevity. You said 3 to 5 years and you will be happy.

BubbaDude Said:

I think it's a hard choice to make because the BDB has been on the market for a year and a half while the PID'ed E61 DB's are brand new and unproven. It wasn't that long ago that people were saying it didn't make any sense to PID an E61, but that discussion is over, at least. I personally have a PID on my wood-fired BBQ smoker, so it's fair to say I never saw a PID I didn't like.

For those who haven't taken the plunge, you need to decide whether you like the E61 retrofit approach that has PID control of both boilers and a siphon on the brew group or the Breville approach that PIDs the brew group and the brew boiler and uses a thermistor on the steam boiler. Then there are the issues about brand reliability, service policies, price, looks, and user convenience features. I personally love the shot timer and the over-fill protection on the BDB, but that's just me. Others are insistent on things like plumb-in, so you have to decide what you want.

EDIT: On a personal note, when I bought my BDB I wasn't looking for a "lifetime" machine. My theory is that the machine should last 3 - 5 years, because after that amount of time there's going to be something better on the market and I'll want to upgrade. Others want a 20 year machine or whatever.

Posted January 28, 2013 link

View Profile Contact via ICQ Link to this post
Winnisk

Espresso: Silvano
Grinder: Vario
Posted Tue Jan 29, 2013, 9:05pm

BubbaDude Said:

EDIT: On a personal note, when I bought my BDB I wasn't looking for a "lifetime" machine. My theory is that the machine should last 3 - 5 years, because after that amount of time there's going to be something better on the market and I'll want to upgrade. Others want a 20 year machine or whatever.

Posted January 28, 2013 link

Just a reminder that the only reason one might be willing to pay more might just be more than vanity. Some might want to purchase something that has a better likelihood of lasting. They might not want to purchase new Chinese made machines every 5 years.

BubbaDude Said:

So I say this:

The idea that I'm misleading people who are just coming into the coffee world who might otherwise be inclined to purchase a super-expensive vanity toy just amazes me. This is the Internet, and you should never take any one person's opinion as authoritative. Do your research and make up your own mind.

Excessive pride in ones own point of view - a form of vanity - seems more applicable here.
cuznvin

Posted Tue Jan 29, 2013, 9:11pm

BubbaDude Said:

What you buy is your own business, but nobody owns the numbers. The average price of the two Italian jobs is $2432.50, pretty close to double the BDB's retail price.

Who cares about averages? The Quickmill is $1899. The Breville is $1199.  $600 difference for a whole lot of stainless steel, brass and copper. I know the numbers exactly. You fail to acknowledge that. You just keep repeating yourself.
BubbaDude
BubbaDude

Posted Tue Jan 29, 2013, 9:13pm

cuznvin Said:

Who cares about averages? The Quickmill is $1899. The Breville is $1199.  $600 difference for a whole lot of stainless steel, brass and copper. I know the numbers exactly. You fail to acknowledge that. You just keep repeating yourself.

So truth doesn't matter to you. OK.

"I've Scaced many HX/E61 machines, seeing shot variances of up to 8-10F or more. [The BDB] stays within 1F." - Mark Prince
cuznvin

Posted Tue Jan 29, 2013, 9:16pm

BubbaDude Said:

So truth doesn't matter to you. OK.

Truth.. I just spelled it all out for you. All factual numbers. Seriously?? Is there something that doesnt compute in your brain? You just want to make it look worse than it is by using averages..
BubbaDude
BubbaDude

Posted Tue Jan 29, 2013, 9:20pm

cuznvin Said:

Truth.. I just spelled it all out for you. All factual numbers. Seriously?? Is there something that doesnt compute in your brain? You just want to make it look worse than it is by using averages..

It's your dishonesty. I said the BDB is half the price of the other two, and your response was that it's not half the price of one of the other two. That's a dishonest comeback to a factual statement.

cuznvin

Posted Tue Jan 29, 2013, 9:24pm

BubbaDude Said:

It's your dishonesty. I said the BDB is half the price of the other two, and your response was that it's not half the price of one of the other two. That's a dishonest comeback to a factual statement.

Dishonesty??? Dude.. you are seriously out of it and making yourself look like a fool. I said the BDB isnt half the price because the QM was $1899. So, $1200 isnt half of $1899. I am not going to argue with you anymore. You like to twist everything around to suit you. I dont really care what you think. You turned this thread into something that isnt productive at all. Enjoy your BDB.
jwoodyu
jwoodyu
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Allex Duetto II
Grinder: Mazzer Major
Posted Tue Jan 29, 2013, 9:29pm

Honestly make the trip to Chris's showroom, fondle QM, R58, Duettos, La Spaziales, a host of HX machines and everything else then pick one, drink coffee , be happy.

The maintenance on the E-61 is cake as JonR pointed out pages ago. If your having to lube it very often then your detergent back flushing it too frequently. After I back flush my lever will pick up a tiny little squeak but you have to really listen to hear it. If it does not go away in the first day or so the it is a 5 minute job to lube it. I can do the beat down clean up job on my Duetto (includes my pulling the screen and gasket twice cause I am freaky that way), grinder, bits and bobs and the counter in less than 30 minutes.

It is not as if you live in Little Rabbit Australia if you do need it serviced down the road.

Yes i have a reason for leaving SCG off my list, yes it is my opinion, yes it is subjective as opinions are by definition, no don't start a flame war because you disagree.
showing page 18 of 41 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Trying to Decide...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.531248092651)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+