Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
What is the cheapest new bare bones espresso maker that I can get.
Great Espresso at Home
Curated selection of the best machines from La Spaziale, Izzo, Quick Mill, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > What is the...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 5 of 7 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
diggi
diggi
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Spaz vivaldi S1 V2
Grinder: B Vario, OE LIDO
Drip: Chemex, Espro Press,...
Roaster: Poppery I
Posted Sun Jan 27, 2013, 1:33pm
Subject: Re: What is the cheapest new bare bones espresso maker that I can get.

Jenn312 Said:

OK so do most of you agree that mypressi and Gaggia's are decent for espresso makers?

Posted January 27, 2013 link

1. Mypressi - Never used one, but many positive reviews. I'd have to say likely a good choice
  2. Gaggia classic is usually stated as the minimal machine to get.

The only issue with this is that you have nothing left for your grinder. If your budget is $200 and that is eaten up by the machine, you have nothing left or are stuck with smallish hand grinder. Baratza precisio is often regarded as least capable.....so yes for the above, but not unless you can afford a grinder, and you indicated before that this was not the case.
 View Profile Link to this post
Jenn312

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Sun Jan 27, 2013, 2:02pm

diggi Said:

Mypressi - Never used one, but many positive reviews. I'd have to say likely a good choice
Gaggia classic is usually stated as the minimal machine to get.

The only issue with this is that you have nothing left for your grinder. If your budget is $200 and that is eaten up by the machine, you have nothing left or are stuck with smallish hand grinder. Baratza precisio is often regarded as least capable.....so yes for the above, but not unless you can afford a grinder, and you indicated before that this was not the case.

It's fine I can hand grind for two months. I planned on getting either a precisio or vario in a few months as long as I continue to make lattes at home.
TheSunInsideYou
TheSunInsideYou
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Breville BES900XL
Grinder: Laranzato HC-600, OE LIDO,...
Vac Pot: Yama 3
Drip: Hario V60, Chemex
Posted Sun Jan 27, 2013, 2:53pm

Jenn312 Said:

OK so do most of you agree that mypressi and Gaggia's are decent for espresso makers?

MyPressi has good reviews from people that you can trust, yes, but one of the things everyone says is that you have to make sure that you preheat EVERYTHING and you set up everything just right. It's finicky, but can be good. Which is the same issue as with lower end espresso machines. And if you're hand grinding, it's a lot of work for one pull. I'm not saying it's not a good choice for anyone, but it doesn't seem like a very good fit for you.

-Dave-
Jenn312

Posted Sun Jan 27, 2013, 3:19pm

TheSunInsideYou Said:

MyPressi has good reviews from people that you can trust, yes, but one of the things everyone says is that you have to make sure that you preheat EVERYTHING and you set up everything just right. It's finicky, but can be good. Which is the same issue as with lower end espresso machines. And if you're hand grinding, it's a lot of work for one pull. I'm not saying it's not a good choice for anyone, but it doesn't seem like a very good fit for you.

-Dave-

LOL I guess I will be going old school, I mean really old school like Stonehenge trying to make my morning capp using a hand grinder,  hand espresso maker and frother.
TheSunInsideYou
TheSunInsideYou
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Breville BES900XL
Grinder: Laranzato HC-600, OE LIDO,...
Vac Pot: Yama 3
Drip: Hario V60, Chemex
Posted Sun Jan 27, 2013, 3:24pm

Jenn312 Said:

LOL I guess I will be going old school, I mean really old school like Stonehenge trying to make my morning capp using a hand grinder,  hand espresso maker and frother.

Haha. I wouldn't consider the Mypressi anything close to Stonehenge, but I get your point.

-Dave-
diggi
diggi

Posted Sun Jan 27, 2013, 4:00pm

Jenn312 Said:

Just think it requires mentioning, since you are too new to notice, but the recommendation for the mypressi came from a user pairing the mypressi with a compak k-10; a $1500 grinder.  As the adage goes "grinder, grinder, grinder". I just want you to be sure that you a fine with the skerton as your 'backbone'. I have used the hario mini for pourover, but never for espresso.  I have never used such a cheap grinder for espresso, so couldn't comment on quality, but I suspect this will be a weak link for you.
I understand that people usually end up finding ways to get where they were headed anyway when they ask for advice, but this whole grinder situation may have been glossed over a bit, considering it is known to be the most important part of any espresso set-up. There are other hand grinders available; zassenhaus knee mills have been around forever. You may want to shop around a bit here, but the skerton may be fine in the end. I just personally wouldn't be happy with the manual adjustments required for hand-grinding....pull a sink shot, then have to readjust and grind all over again. What a pain.
Jenn312

Posted Sun Jan 27, 2013, 4:29pm

diggi Said:

Just think it requires mentioning, since you are too new to notice, but the recommendation for the mypressi came from a user pairing the mypressi with a compak k-10; a $1500 grinder.  As the adage goes "grinder, grinder, grinder". I just want you to be sure that you a fine with the skerton as your 'backbone'. I have used the hario mini for pourover, but never for espresso.  I have never used such a cheap grinder for espresso, so couldn't comment on quality, but I suspect this will be a weak link for you.
I understand that people usually end up finding ways to get where they were headed anyway when they ask for advice, but this whole grinder situation may have been glossed over a bit, considering it is known to be the most important part of any espresso set-up. There are other hand grinders available; zassenhaus knee mills have been around forever. You may want to shop around a bit here, but the skerton may be fine in the end. I just personally wouldn't be happy with the manual adjustments required for hand-grinding....pull a sink shot, then have to readjust and grind all over again. What a pain.

I am getting a hand grinder as opposed to an electric grinder because I plan on getting a higher end grinder within the next two months. At current I don't have the budget for a quality grinder. Do you think a hand grinder for a 2mo period is a waste if that is the case I can just go with pre ground coffee and whatever machine I decide to go with. At the moment there are so many options I am still confused as to what to get a moka pot for $88, a gaggia evolution or pure for approx $200 or a mypressi for $169 regardless one thing I know is it will require coffee as quitting cold turkey and not getting anything is not something that I have any interest in doing.
diggi
diggi

Posted Sun Jan 27, 2013, 5:23pm

Jenn312 Said:

I am getting a hand grinder as opposed to an electric grinder because I plan on getting a higher end grinder within the next two months. At current I don't have the budget for a quality grinder. Do you think a hand grinder for a 2mo period is a waste if that is the case I can just go with pre ground coffee and whatever machine I decide to go with. At the moment there are so many options I am still confused as to what to get a moka pot for $88, a gaggia evolution or pure for approx $200 or a mypressi for $169 regardless one thing I know is it will require coffee as quitting cold turkey and not getting anything is not something that I have any interest in doing.

Well I think I've already shared my opinion on that, so I won't tell you what to do there; but you must have a grinder. The need for a good grinder is accentuated with espresso more than any other method. So, do as you wish, but my first dollars would be going toward a grinder that can be used for espresso (if that is the way you are headed) in addition to other methods if need be. Any espresso machine without a quality grinder will only make swill. So don't buy pre-ground.
A hand grinder is not a waste, unless you are just planning on ditching it in 2 mos anyway; in which case, I ask why bother. Why not start with the grinder that you really want now and use it with any other method. Then buy the machine that you want later. Otherwise, if you start the other way around, you are stuck with a machine you can't use, or you need to stretch your budget to buy a cheap hand grinder that you are going to end up tossing in 2 mos anyway.
Iluvdabean
Iluvdabean

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra/Gaggia...
Grinder: Baratza Preciso/K-A Pro...
Drip: Bonavita BV 1800 TH
Roaster: Nesco 1010/Behmor 1600
Posted Sun Jan 27, 2013, 5:41pm

The Evolution seems to use a pressurized portafilter basket as does the Pure...I think I recall people removing those...or since its a standard size portafilter you could order a  regular double filter basket. You might also consider doing good drip coffee and just trying different varietals until you save enough and learn enough to maximize your entry.All you need is a pour over device,good water and a kettle to get it hot. Melitta No 2 pour over cone 19.00, kettle for stove 29.00 and up,and then buy good coffee online and use your hand grinder . Its not a Latte but then again a good Latte isnt a good cup of drip coffee.

diggi Said:

Well I think I've already shared my opinion on that, so I won't tell you what to do there; but you must have a grinder. The need for a good grinder is accentuated with espresso more than any other method. So, do as you wish, but my first dollars would be going toward a grinder that can be used for espresso (if that is the way you are headed) in addition to other methods if need be. Any espresso machine without a quality grinder will only make swill. So don't buy pre-ground.
A hand grinder is not a waste, unless you are just planning on ditching it in 2 mos anyway; in which case, I ask why bother. Why not start with the grinder that you really want now and use it with any other method. Then buy the machine that you want later. Otherwise, if you start the other way around, you are stuck with a machine you can't use, or you need to stretch your budget to buy a cheap hand grinder that you are going to end up tossing in 2 mos anyway.

Iluvdabean: Melitta_Pourover.jpg
(Click for larger image)
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Link to this post
Jenn312

Posted Sun Jan 27, 2013, 6:21pm

Ok after much inner debate I decided to just get a Brikka from Amazon and try a few faux capp and lattes with it. I figured if I don't like it I can always return it back to Amazon easily. If the Brikka does not staunch my starbucks craving then I will move up the ladder to a Gaggia evo.

Just curious does anyone have an idea of how badly the aluminum of a Brikka would effect ones health? I would prefer stainless steel but I can't find a stainless steel Brikka.
showing page 5 of 7 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > What is the...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.622983217239)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+