Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
What is the cheapest new bare bones espresso maker that I can get.
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > What is the...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 4 of 7 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
Buckley

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Sun Jan 27, 2013, 11:28am
Subject: Re: What is the cheapest new bare bones espresso maker that I can get.

Jenn312,
I agree with the Hario hand grinder 100%.
For God's sake don't buy a @#$%^&*! moka pot!  The Mypressi hand operated espresso machine makes real espresso, so real that it will allow to judge to quality differences in coffee grinders.  People who cry out against buying the N2O (or CO2) cartridges that it requires do not understand that they add only about 8 cents to the cost of one shot.  I have been using my Mypressi for 1 - 1/2 years now and only had to replace one showerhead.  It has otherwise performed flawlessly in that time.
Another important advantage of the Mypressi over the Moka pot: it will teach you the rudiments of how to operate an espresso machine; the moka pot will not.  To the barista critics who might take issue with this: we are talking rudiments here.  For instance, you can 'naked portafilter' the Mypressi just by leaving the bottom spout off.  Read this forum and you will observe that visualizing the stream coming out of your basket goes a long way toward learning grinding, tamping and other grind-handling techniques.  With virtually all espresso machines, you otherwise have to machine off the metal spouts at the bottom of the portafilter or buy an expensive specialty second handle in order to have access to visualizing the stream.  With the Mypressi, you will know if you have problems with channeling and therefore have to learn the 'Weiss Declumping Technique' (it takes four seconds).  With the Moke pot you will never know if the quality of your brew is being degraded by channeling or not, since you will never be able to see it.
My situation is unique.  I am staying with my Mypressi.  I upgraded my grinder from a Hario mini ($40) to a Gaggia MDF ($200) to a Compak K-10 ($1400) and the Mypressi can transmit the quality differences in grind.  A moka pot (in my opinion) would be blind in more way than one.
The Mypressi plus Hario should cost you exactly $200, not including shipping, unless you can surf around for a deal.

B
 View Profile Link to this post
Jenn312

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Sun Jan 27, 2013, 12:04pm

Yup now I am thoroughly confused.
diggi
diggi

Espresso: Spaz vivaldi S1 V2
Grinder: B Vario, OE LIDO
Drip: Chemex, Espro Press,...
Roaster: Poppery I
Posted Sun Jan 27, 2013, 12:10pm

Jenn312 Said:

Yup now I am thoroughly confused.

Posted January 27, 2013 link

Good.  Now just read a bit and figure out what you are looking for. Better coffee? or it must be espresso.  Then re-look at your options for each. If you put the time in now, you will be more satisfied with your purchase, than if you get something, then realize it isn't what you wanted. Maybe you do really only want espresso. Then, yes, maybe the mypressi is an option you'd be interested in. But, realize it has a bit of prep involved. There are disposable NO2 catridges that can be pricey unless you buy in mega bulk....but maybe that is would interest you. Glad you are slowing down and thinking.  you should be absolutely information overload at this point.
TheSunInsideYou
TheSunInsideYou
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Breville BES900XL
Grinder: Laranzato HC-600, OE LIDO,...
Vac Pot: Yama 3
Drip: Hario V60, Chemex
Posted Sun Jan 27, 2013, 12:15pm

diggi Said:

Good.  Now just read a bit and figure out what you are looking for. Better coffee? or it must be espresso.  Then re-look at your options for each. If you put the time in now, you will be more satisfied with your purchase, than if you get something, then realize it isn't what you wanted. Maybe you do really only want espresso. Then, yes, maybe the mypressi is an option you'd be interested in. But, realize it has a bit of prep involved. There are disposable NO2 catridges that can be pricey unless you buy in mega bulk....but maybe that is would interest you. Glad you are slowing down and thinking.  you should be absolutely information overload at this point.

+1 Patience and a well-thought out decision is always the best option.

-Dave-
Buckley

Posted Sun Jan 27, 2013, 12:18pm

Sorry.  Ok.  You do not know that the Mypressi exists.  It used to cost 149, now up to 169.  Other hand espresso makers operating on the same pressure principle are artisianal-made in small numbers and cost $400 and up.  if you have not done so, surf and read about the Mypressi.  Read the reviews on this website, including mine, and on Home Barista.
Forget what I said about learning WDT, channeling, tamping, etc.  That will all start to be part of your curiosity in days to come at your own pace if you buy a starter expresso machine but you will miss out on any of these discoveries if you sit with a moka pot.
Just read a little bit more before plopping down your money.
This is an unfair thing to say (moka pot has been around 60 years, the Mypressi just 5 (?)) but you usually find plenty of moka pots available at yard sales and thrift shops but I challenge anyone to say that they have seen a Mypressi there.  Also, resale value.  Mypressis occasionally (rarely) are offered for sale on this website with good resale value (if cared for).  Moka pots go for cheap, or are just not worth the shipping.

B
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Sun Jan 27, 2013, 12:19pm

Did you read my post about cold brew? You can do that now and save and think about what you want to do.  I thought about it for about 2-3 months before I bought.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Iluvdabean
Iluvdabean

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra/Gaggia...
Grinder: Baratza Preciso/K-A Pro...
Drip: Bonavita BV 1800 TH
Roaster: Nesco 1010/Behmor 1600
Posted Sun Jan 27, 2013, 12:26pm

No they are not sub-par. They will make real espresso. They are not fancy but will do the basic job.

http://www.wholelattelove.com/Gaggia/gaggia_evo_black.cfm

Same boiler as in the Classic and cycles quickly.People rant on being aluminum and my next machine up ( I am thinking of Quickmill Silvano) wont have one but
they work fine,mine has for five years. The myth that they corrode inside is just that a myth.

Jenn312 Said:

But isn't this machine and grinder also subpar, would I still have a difficult time producing decent espresso shots? The machine itself is only $199 which is less than the Aroma which a lot of people discouraged me from .

Iluvdabean: Gaggia-boiler-01.jpg
(Click for larger image)
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Link to this post
Buckley

Posted Sun Jan 27, 2013, 12:36pm

diggi Said:

There are disposable NO2 catridges that can be pricey unless you buy in mega bulk....but maybe that is would interest you. Glad you are slowing down and thinking.  you should be absolutely information overload at this point.

Anyone can buy a box of 24 cartridges online for 9.99 (9.00 at last check):

http://www.creamright.com/product/WCC-MN-PW-UL-24.html

Plus 8 dollars shipping (just went up today):

http://www.creamright.com/shipping.html

They ship to all 50 states.  States outlawing the importing of nitrous oxide cartridges is just another unsubstantiated CG myth.

Three boxes at a time today cost $35 (includes shipping).  35.00/72=.48   I reliably get five shots from every cartridge, so it cost me .10 per shot.
Actually, there are posts on this website from people who are ordering cartridges at lower prices than I am quoting.

If anyone else thinks that three boxes of cartridges for $35-38 is a megapurchase, please contradict me.  Also note that I do not have to buy Urnex, a blind portafilter for backflushing, replace a thermostat, descale the boiler, or take my espresso machine in for service.

People who do not own a Mypressi and have never bought N2O cartridges seem to have the most knowledge about their inconvenience.

B
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Sun Jan 27, 2013, 1:01pm

Mypressi sounds like a pain to me for every day use but if you get one of those and later get a machine you can use mypressi for travel, office and camping so it is less of a waste for my money.  And if he is correct about the resale then it is something to think about.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Jenn312

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Sun Jan 27, 2013, 1:17pm

OK so do most of you agree that mypressi and Gaggia's are decent for espresso makers?
showing page 4 of 7 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > What is the...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.462074995041)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+