Espresso: Espresso Machines
ECM Germany from 1st line
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > ECM Germany from...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
dman777

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Silvia- No PID
Grinder: Compak k3 touch
Drip: french press
Posted Sun Jun 3, 2012, 9:18pm
Subject: Re: ECM Germany from 1st line

From what I read on a blog from Seattle Coffee Gear:

Click Here (blog.seattlecoffeegear.com)

ECM - The original/authentic Italian company that manufactured the Gioto and other COMMERCIAL machines(never home ones as far as I knew).
ECM Manufacture- The German company that distributed the espresso machines for the Italian company ECM. They now make their own machines in Germany(no Italy) from what I read.

To make a long story short, the German company made their own line of Espresso machines- called one of them Gioto...got in trouble by ECM... and eventually had to change the models names- ie: Technika.

So, no...not like the authentic Italian commercial machines from decades ago that carried a great reputation.

But....wouldn't hurt to give them a chance since this is now and that was a long time ago. The stats look good for the money.

I personally would be tempted to get a Rocket for the extra money, but that is just my personal taste(not saying that is the original Italian ECM ether)...but it does have one of the owners for the original Italian ECM family.
 View Profile Link to this post
italiano

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: ECM Germany Tecknika IV
Grinder: Mazzer Mini and Pasquini...
Posted Sat Jan 26, 2013, 5:12am

I purchased the ECM Germany Tecknika IV tank model from Jim at 1st-Line in September 2012.
It is an extremely well made machine with excellent features and components. Itís very difficult to make a bad espresso from this machine; I have it paired with a mini mazzer grinder. It has excellent temperature stabilization with only an occasional flush of the grew group is required if left unattended for a long while.
The rotary pump is quite and the water tank holds a more than adequate amount of water. The only modification I do recommend is placing isolation between the boiler and the water tank as the heat from the 1.8 liter boiler will heat up the water in the water tank once the machine has been left on for an hour or more.
The cup warmer on this machine is excellent since the machine comes with insulated side panels which direct the heat upwards preventing it from dissipating to the sides of the machine.
The boiler is stainless steel which I prefer over brass or cooper; this in my mind eliminates the leaching concerns of both brass and cooper at high temperatures.  As a matter of fact higher end more expensive espresso machine almost always come with a stainless steel boiler.
The brewing on the machine is controlled by a brew group handle; all coffee extractions are controlled by this arm. The machine does have an E 61 group with thermo siphon and preinfusion capabilities.
But you will be required to perform a certain amount of maintenance to keep this machine in top form.
Every three months or so I disassemble the entire brew group, I then clean and lubricate it thoroughly with petro gel a high heat food grade lubricant. All three internal valves are lubricated as well as the cam and the brew group handle.
I first use a descaler on this machine as well as a good flush with an espresso machine detergent within the brew group before disassembling and lubing all internal components with petro gel.
If you lubricate first then descale and then use a detergent the lubricant will be washed away and you will have issues with the brew group cam and the internal valves. Because every time you use the brew group handle you will be rubbing the internal cam against the internal valves metal against metal without lubrication.  With this type of machine it is imperative that the internal E 61 group components are lubricated and cleaned at regular intervals
Keeping the machine clean and well lubricated is essential to prolonging the life of the machine and obtaining a great shot of espresso.
The machine comes with rotary vane pump , thick walled 1.8 liter stainless steel boiler , HX , OPV valve , Gicar control module , Sirai pressurestat , duel gauges boiler and brew pressure , E 61 group , duel thermostats , and is extremely well made with an excellent polished stainless steel finish.
For a machine in this price range you get better components for your money. I highly recommend this machine from ECM Germany its an excellent machine and makes a great espresso.

Italiano
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
cuznvin

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II
Grinder: MACAP M4 Stepless /Baratza...
Drip: YouBrew
Posted Sat Jan 26, 2013, 6:33am

italiano Said:

I purchased the ECM Germany Tecknika IV tank model from Jim at 1st-Line in September 2012.
It is an extremely well made machine with excellent features and components. Itís very difficult to make a bad espresso from this machine; I have it paired with a mini mazzer grinder. It has excellent temperature stabilization with only an occasional flush of the grew group is required if left unattended for a long while.
The rotary pump is quite and the water tank holds a more than adequate amount of water. The only modification I do recommend is placing isolation between the boiler and the water tank as the heat from the 1.8 liter boiler will heat up the water in the water tank once the machine has been left on for an hour or more.
The cup warmer on this machine is excellent since the machine comes with insulated side panels which direct the heat upwards preventing it from dissipating to the sides of the machine.
The boiler is stainless steel which I prefer over brass or cooper; this in my mind eliminates the leaching concerns of both brass and cooper at high temperatures.  As a matter of fact higher end more expensive espresso machine almost always come with a stainless steel boiler.
The brewing on the machine is controlled by a brew group handle; all coffee extractions are controlled by this arm. The machine does have an E 61 group with thermo siphon and preinfusion capabilities.
But you will be required to perform a certain amount of maintenance to keep this machine in top form.
Every three months or so I disassemble the entire brew group, I then clean and lubricate it thoroughly with petro gel a high heat food grade lubricant. All three internal valves are lubricated as well as the cam and the brew group handle.
I first use a descaler on this machine as well as a good flush with an espresso machine detergent within the brew group before disassembling and lubing all internal components with petro gel.
If you lubricate first then descale and then use a detergent the lubricant will be washed away and you will have issues with the brew group cam and the internal valves. Because every time you use the brew group handle you will be rubbing the internal cam against the internal valves metal against metal without lubrication.  With this type of machine it is imperative that the internal E 61 group components are lubricated and cleaned at regular intervals
Keeping the machine clean and well lubricated is essential to prolonging the life of the machine and obtaining a great shot of espresso.
The machine comes with rotary vane pump , thick walled 1.8 liter stainless steel boiler , HX , OPV valve , Gicar control module , Sirai pressurestat , duel gauges boiler and brew pressure , E 61 group , duel thermostats , and is extremely well made with an excellent polished stainless steel finish.
For a machine in this price range you get better components for your money. I highly recommend this machine from ECM Germany its an excellent machine and makes a great espresso.

Italiano

Posted January 26, 2013 link

Thanks for your helpful comments. I am contemplating purchasing this machine but wondering why the brew group on this machine needs to be lubricated every few months? Is this something necessary on this machine only and why? Or are you lubricating all E61 groups?? Thanks
CSME9
CSME9
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Isomac Tea, Rancilio Silvia,...
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky
Drip: Moka Pot
Roaster: BBQ Roaster
Posted Sat Jan 26, 2013, 9:09am

I to looked at this machine along with the smaller Barista model which at the time i believe sold for $1499 and ECM Germany was a new line offered by 1st Line. I couldnt find many reviews on the machines, they share many common parts and could be repaired fairly easily. The side panels are insulated which probably helps with noise and keeps the exterior cooler but i thought at that price the boiler should have been insulated. I think the power and on/off switch sits to low and could get splashed with water/coffee from the 3 way/grouphead.

The vacuam valve could have been made to allow a clear hose attachment back to the water tank or drip tray to keep the inside dry as the steam valve closes, you could order an aftermarket valve and clear tubing $20 and change this out yourself fairly easy to do. Not sure how much water the drip tray holds or how easy it is to remove the side panels for working on the inside of the machine.

WS
1stline
1stline
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Undisclosed
Grinder: Indisclosed
Vac Pot: Bodum Electric
Drip: None
Roaster: None
Posted Sat Jan 26, 2013, 2:06pm

slybarman Said:

Has anyone taken notice of the "ECM Germany" product line at 1st-line.com?

http://www.1st-line.com/machines/home_mod/ecm/index.htm

They are attractive enough machines. From a price and feature standpoint I guess they are competing with Rocket. 1st line gives an interesting statement as to why they are no longer carrying the rocket line. It says these new machines are designed in Germany and made in Italy.

What do y'all make of these?

Posted May 18, 2012 link

If the moderators do not mind, the aforementioned link is to our old web site (going away soon) and I would like to provide the link to the new web site here.

Just to note, at the time of this writing, we received a batch of Barista machines that have the upgraded steam/hot water valves as the Technika. This is subject to change on the next batch.

This review was written a few days ago. There will not be many reviews at this time as the brand is fairly new to the US market.

Sincerely,
Jim Piccinich
Business Partner
1st-line Equipment, LLC
www.1st-line.com

Follow us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/1stline
Twitter: http://twitter.com/1stline
Blog: http://1st-line.blogspot.com/
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/1stlineespresso
cuznvin

Posted Sat Jan 26, 2013, 2:16pm

1stline Said:

If the moderators do not mind, the aforementioned link is to our old web site (going away soon) and I would like to provide the link to the new web site here.

Just to note, at the time of this writing, we received a batch of Barista machines that have the upgraded steam/hot water valves as the Technika. This is subject to change on the next batch.

This review was written a few days ago. There will not be many reviews at this time as the brand is fairly new to the US market.

If the Barista has upgraded steam/hot water valves, what would be different with the barista then the technika?  Also, I find it easier to find things (machines) on your old website compared to your new one..JMO
CSME9
CSME9
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Isomac Tea, Rancilio Silvia,...
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky
Drip: Moka Pot
Roaster: BBQ Roaster
Posted Sat Jan 26, 2013, 6:06pm

cuznvin said: If the Barista has upgraded steam/hot water valves, what would be different with the barista then the technika?  

Technika is both tank and plummable, larger case, hinged water tank refill lid and more expensive-other than that i believe the Barista model with upgraded steam/hot water valves would function the same.  

WS
cuznvin

Posted Sat Jan 26, 2013, 9:08pm

CSME9 Said:

cuznvin said: If the Barista has upgraded steam/hot water valves, what would be different with the barista then the technika?  

Technika is both tank and plummable, larger case, hinged water tank refill lid and more expensive-other than that i believe the Barista model with upgraded steam/hot water valves would function the same.  

WS

Thanks.. I did see on 1st line that the finish is better on the Technika and the Portafilters are upgraded.  There are different models of the Technika also. One is direct plumb only I believe.
italiano

Espresso: ECM Germany Tecknika IV
Grinder: Mazzer Mini and Pasquini...
Posted Sun Jan 27, 2013, 6:42am

Currently since this is a new line of machines from ECM Germany as a result there are not many user owner reviews on Coffeegeek.
I will be posting a very detailed review of this machine very shortly on Coffeegeek.
As an owner of the ECM Tecknika IV I can now tell you that this is a well-made machine with excellent components.
As far as lubricating the E61 group internal valves and brew arm cam this is a very important step in keeping this machine in top working order.
By design if not properly lubricated the brew arm cam and internal E 61 group valves movement are metal against metal  whenever the brew group handle is used to brew coffee. To eliminate metal rubbing against metal it is essential that all internal valves and brew group cam arm be kept cleaned and properly lubricated at all times. This will prolong the life of the internal valves and the brew cam arm within the group.
Definitely use a lubricant that can tolerate high heat, is long lasting and is also a food grade lubricant specifically used for espresso machines.
Owning an E 61 group machine has been a learning process for me since my old machine I simply brewed coffee by pressing a single button.
Having a brew group arm gives you complete control of the coffee extraction process, to preinfusion to the actual length of the extraction.
The machine makes an excellent cup of coffee but should be left on at least an hour to allow all metal brew group components to get to the proper temperature.
Definitely descale the machine at regular intervals every two to three months depending on how hard your water is.
Also flush the machine regularly with an espresso machine detergent to eliminate coffee reside and coffee oils that accumulate within the E 61 group.
All of the internal valves within the E 61 group have rubber washers that are pressed against a valve seat within the group when the brew group arm is used.
Periodically check the condition of the rubber washers and replace as needed to insure a tight seal and also to insure that the valve seat within the group is not damaged.
Everything has some sort of maintance; an espresso machine is no different. This machine is made to last with proper care and maintance you will get many years of use from this machine.
I wanted a machine for everyday use that can also handle a large volume of drinks when necessary.
I definitely recommend purchasing this machine you will not be disappointed.

Italiano
cuznvin

Posted Sun Jan 27, 2013, 8:16am

italiano Said:

Currently since this is a new line of machines from ECM Germany as a result there are not many user owner reviews on Coffeegeek.
I will be posting a very detailed review of this machine very shortly on Coffeegeek.
As an owner of the ECM Tecknika IV I can now tell you that this is a well-made machine with excellent components.
As far as lubricating the E61 group internal valves and brew arm cam this is a very important step in keeping this machine in top working order.
By design if not properly lubricated the brew arm cam and internal E 61 group valves movement are metal against metal  whenever the brew group handle is used to brew coffee. To eliminate metal rubbing against metal it is essential that all internal valves and brew group cam arm be kept cleaned and properly lubricated at all times. This will prolong the life of the internal valves and the brew cam arm within the group.
Definitely use a lubricant that can tolerate high heat, is long lasting and is also a food grade lubricant specifically used for espresso machines.
Owning an E 61 group machine has been a learning process for me since my old machine I simply brewed coffee by pressing a single button.
Having a brew group arm gives you complete control of the coffee extraction process, to preinfusion to the actual length of the extraction.
The machine makes an excellent cup of coffee but should be left on at least an hour to allow all metal brew group components to get to the proper temperature.
Definitely descale the machine at regular intervals every two to three months depending on how hard your water is.
Also flush the machine regularly with an espresso machine detergent to eliminate coffee reside and coffee oils that accumulate within the E 61 group.
All of the internal valves within the E 61 group have rubber washers that are pressed against a valve seat within the group when the brew group arm is used.
Periodically check the condition of the rubber washers and replace as needed to insure a tight seal and also to insure that the valve seat within the group is not damaged.
Everything has some sort of maintance; an espresso machine is no different. This machine is made to last with proper care and maintance you will get many years of use from this machine.
I wanted a machine for everyday use that can also handle a large volume of drinks when necessary.
I definitely recommend purchasing this machine you will not be disappointed.

Italiano

Posted January 27, 2013 link

THanks.. So are you saying ALL E61 groups need this lubrication or just on this machine for some reason or another???
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > ECM Germany from...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.476841926575)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+