Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
ECM Germany from 1st line
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > ECM Germany from...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 3 first page previous page
Author Messages
italiano

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: ECM Germany Tecknika IV
Grinder: Mazzer Mini and Pasquini...
Posted Sun Jan 27, 2013, 9:17am
Subject: Re: ECM Germany from 1st line

I would definitely lubricate this machine ECM Germany Tecknika IV due to its internal E61 group design.
Although I am not familiar with other manufactures of E 61 group lever operated machines from what I have seen on-line and have read it is my understanding that due to the internal design of most E 61 group machines it would be fair to say that all E 61 group lever operated machines will require lubrication of the E 61 group valves and brew group cam at regular intervals as part of routine maintance.
There are some machines out there that have an E 61 group with no brew handle; instead coffee is extracted by simply pushing a button.
ECM Germany does make a model without the brew handle itís called the ECM Elecktronika , I am not positive if this machine requires the same maintance and lubrication as the ECM Tecknika IV. But by looking at a photo of this machine the entire E 61 group looks like itís a totally in closed unit.
If I had to make an educated guess I would say that this machine would be a lot easier to maintain since it has less moveable parts.
I am not positive if the ECM Elecktronika is available here in the United States, I know it is available in Europe.
But remember with this type of machine you will have less hands on control of the coffee extraction process.
As for the drip tray on the ECM Tecknika IV it is more than adequate I own the tank only model. As for the main switch being too low, concerns about it being splashed by the pressure relief valve at the bottom of the brew group this is not an issue. The switch and indicator lights do not get splashed at all.
I do like that both the boiler and brew pressure gauges are at the top of the machine where they are clearly visible.
The only negative comment I would make about this machine is that I would prefer a deeper filter basket than will fit the two spout portafilter.
The current two cup filter basket that is supplied with the machine tapers down towards the center of the portafilter as a result it holds less coffee.
The machine also has an adjustable OPV valve Over Pressure Valve on the U.S. version it is placed inside the machine at the bottom near the pump.
In Europe it is placed at the top of the machine near the water tank where it is easily accessible.
The machine comes with a two hole steaming tip which obtains a micro froth quite easily for latte art.
The 1.8 liter boiler produces plenty of steaming power and if needed can produce a large volume of drinks.
To be honest so far owning this machine for four months has been a pleasure.

Italiano
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
cuznvin

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II
Grinder: MACAP M4 Stepless /Baratza...
Drip: YouBrew
Posted Sun Jan 27, 2013, 9:31am

italiano Said:

I would definitely lubricate this machine ECM Germany Tecknika IV due to its internal E61 group design.
Although I am not familiar with other manufactures of E 61 group lever operated machines from what I have seen on-line and have read it is my understanding that due to the internal design of most E 61 group machines it would be fair to say that all E 61 group lever operated machines will require lubrication of the E 61 group valves and brew group cam at regular intervals as part of routine maintance.
There are some machines out there that have an E 61 group with no brew handle; instead coffee is extracted by simply pushing a button.
ECM Germany does make a model without the brew handle itís called the ECM Elecktronika , I am not positive if this machine requires the same maintance and lubrication as the ECM Tecknika IV. But by looking at a photo of this machine the entire E 61 group looks like itís a totally in closed unit.
If I had to make an educated guess I would say that this machine would be a lot easier to maintain since it has less moveable parts.
I am not positive if the ECM Elecktronika is available here in the United States, I know it is available in Europe.
But remember with this type of machine you will have less hands on control of the coffee extraction process.
As for the drip tray on the ECM Tecknika IV it is more than adequate I own the tank only model. As for the main switch being too low, concerns about it being splashed by the pressure relief valve at the bottom of the brew group this is not an issue. The switch and indicator lights do not get splashed at all.
I do like that both the boiler and brew pressure gauges are at the top of the machine where they are clearly visible.
The only negative comment I would make about this machine is that I would prefer a deeper filter basket than will fit the two spout portafilter.
The current two cup filter basket that is supplied with the machine tapers down towards the center of the portafilter as a result it holds less coffee.
The machine also has an adjustable OPV valve Over Pressure Valve on the U.S. version it is placed inside the machine at the bottom near the pump.
In Europe it is placed at the top of the machine near the water tank where it is easily accessible.
The machine comes with a two hole steaming tip which obtains a micro froth quite easily for latte art.
The 1.8 liter boiler produces plenty of steaming power and if needed can produce a large volume of drinks.
To be honest so far owning this machine for four months has been a pleasure.

Italiano

Posted January 27, 2013 link

I dont see the ELEKTRONIKA PROFI II for sale anywhere in the US
 View Profile Link to this post
cuznvin

Posted Sun Jan 27, 2013, 9:38am

Looks awesome

Click Here (www.ecm.de)
germantownrob
germantownrob

Espresso: Duetto 3, A Dead Oscar
Grinder: Vario-W, Preciso w/Esatto,...
Drip: Brazen
Roaster: Diedrich IR-1, HT B
Posted Sun Jan 27, 2013, 9:43am

cuznvin Said:

THanks.. So are you saying ALL E61 groups need this lubrication or just on this machine for some reason or another???

Here is Randy's guide for E-61 lubercation http://www.frcndigital.com/coffee/HowToE61LUBE.html and http://www.frcndigital.com/coffee/HowToE61overhaul.html
cuznvin

Posted Sun Jan 27, 2013, 10:34am

germantownrob Said:

Here is Randy's guide for E-61 lubercation http://www.frcndigital.com/coffee/HowToE61LUBE.html and http://www.frcndigital.com/coffee/HowToE61overhaul.html

So it seems that the general lubrication is just of the cam not the internal valves. How often do the internal valves need to be lubricated?
italiano

Posted Tue Jan 29, 2013, 4:47am

Although most of the E 61 Group lubrication instructions on-line show mostly lubrication of the Brew Group cam and arm, I personally take the whole E 61 Group apart top and bottom and clean and lubricate all internal valves, the cam and the brew group arm every two months. Once you have taken the entire E -61 group apart a couple of times it becomes routine.
If you are fairly handy you should not have any issues but remember to either purchase a non-marring wrench or place padded insulation on an adjustable wrench when working on the machine so that you do not mar or scratch the chrome finish.
I agree for a machine in this price range the boiler should have been insulated but that is not a major issue.
From what a see now that I actually own an E 61 group which I always wanted, hands down it makes an excellent espresso. But it does come with regular maintance and wear and tear of internal E 61 valves and components. Fortunately all internal parts and components are well made and with proper care cleaning and lubrication will last a long time before they will have to be replaced.
If you prefer there are other manufactures out there that do make an E 61 group machine that brew coffee by simply pressing a button.  
I personally like the brew group arm because it gives you entire control of the coffee extraction process.

Italiano
cuznvin

Posted Tue Jan 29, 2013, 9:18am

italiano Said:

Although most of the E 61 Group lubrication instructions on-line show mostly lubrication of the Brew Group cam and arm, I personally take the whole E 61 Group apart top and bottom and clean and lubricate all internal valves, the cam and the brew group arm every two months. Once you have taken the entire E -61 group apart a couple of times it becomes routine.
If you are fairly handy you should not have any issues but remember to either purchase a non-marring wrench or place padded insulation on an adjustable wrench when working on the machine so that you do not mar or scratch the chrome finish.
I agree for a machine in this price range the boiler should have been insulated but that is not a major issue.
From what a see now that I actually own an E 61 group which I always wanted, hands down it makes an excellent espresso. But it does come with regular maintance and wear and tear of internal E 61 valves and components. Fortunately all internal parts and components are well made and with proper care cleaning and lubrication will last a long time before they will have to be replaced.
If you prefer there are other manufactures out there that do make an E 61 group machine that brew coffee by simply pressing a button.  
I personally like the brew group arm because it gives you entire control of the coffee extraction process.

Italiano

Posted January 29, 2013 link

Even with the machines with button control, wouldnt the the group still need to be taken apart and lubricated?
italiano

Posted Tue Jan 29, 2013, 11:50am

I can not answer your question because I am not sure if the push button E 61 group machines require the same maintance as the brew lever type E 61 machines. The ECM Electronika looks like a totally closed unit if that is indeed the case then it would surely require less maintance. I previously owned a push button type espresso machine although not an E 61 group the internal components did not require to be taken apart for any lubrication.
Its possible that the internal components on an E 61 push button type of machine could be very different mechanically from the brew lever type E 61 group machines like the ECM Tecknika IV
Does anyone know if there is a difference between the two types of machines with respect to lubrication and maintance ?

Italiano
1stline
1stline
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Undisclosed
Grinder: Indisclosed
Vac Pot: Bodum Electric
Drip: None
Roaster: None
Posted Tue Jan 29, 2013, 3:46pm

cuznvin Said:

I dont see the ELEKTRONIKA PROFI II for sale anywhere in the US

At this point in time, we have decided not to carry this model. Please keep in mind that it takes parts inventory to support every model. After careful evaluation last year, it was determined that demand would be too low to support the necessary investment in parts to support the Elektronika model. However, things may change in the future.

Sincerely,
Jim Piccinich
Business Partner
1st-line Equipment, LLC
www.1st-line.com

Follow us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/1stline
Twitter: http://twitter.com/1stline
Blog: http://1st-line.blogspot.com/
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/1stlineespresso
1stline
1stline
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Undisclosed
Grinder: Indisclosed
Vac Pot: Bodum Electric
Drip: None
Roaster: None
Posted Tue Jan 29, 2013, 3:57pm

cuznvin Said:

...Also, I find it easier to find things (machines) on your old website compared to your new one..JMO

Posted January 26, 2013 link

I would tend to agree. Old 1st-line.com was 15 years old and due for a hefty makeover as it was all html pages. Coding was old and hurting us in the search engines. 1st-line.net was 10 years old and the shopping cart functionality was limited - not only on the front end, but also the backend for quickly processing orders.

The new storefront on 1st-line.com offers a different perspective in finding things. It is not brand driven, but more customer use driven in the menus. The search functionality has an advanced search functionality to find things within categories. There is a lot of other stuff which I do not want to get this post too off topic.

Sincerely,
Jim Piccinich
Business Partner
1st-line Equipment, LLC
www.1st-line.com

Follow us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/1stline
Twitter: http://twitter.com/1stline
Blog: http://1st-line.blogspot.com/
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/1stlineespresso
showing page 3 of 3 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > ECM Germany from...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.466642141342)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+