Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
What is the cheapest new bare bones espresso maker that I can get.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > What is the...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 7 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
Jenn312

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Sun Jan 27, 2013, 10:47am
Subject: Re: What is the cheapest new bare bones espresso maker that I can get.

Thanks Sun and diggi I will start with a moka pot, hand grinder and frother while I save m pennies. I feel a down, a little depressed actually for being so broke that I can't afford a machine to make a good cup of cappuccino  but hopefully my faux (moka pot version) cappuccino will taste good after adding a little syrup to it. Thank you.
 View Profile Link to this post
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Sun Jan 27, 2013, 10:49am

Espresso machines have boilers and a lot of metal in them.  They are not like replacing a plastic drip coffee pot.  It is a major purchase that requires more thought than a coffee pot.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
TheSunInsideYou
TheSunInsideYou
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Breville BES900XL
Grinder: Laranzato HC-600, OE LIDO,...
Vac Pot: Yama 3
Drip: Hario V60, Chemex
Posted Sun Jan 27, 2013, 10:55am

Jenn312 Said:

Thanks Sun and diggi I will start with a moka pot, hand grinder and frother while I save m pennies. I feel a down, a little depressed actually for being so broke that I can't afford a machine to make a good cup of cappuccino  but hopefully my faux (moka pot version) cappuccino will taste good after adding a little syrup to it. Thank you.

Posted January 27, 2013 link

You're quite welcome. Don't be down. We've all been there. The most important thing now is good coffee. What coffee are you using at present? GocoffeeGo.com is a great resource. Or perhaps a local roaster.

-Dave-
Jenn312

Posted Sun Jan 27, 2013, 11:04am

TheSunInsideYou Said:

You're quite welcome. Don't be down. We've all been there. The most important thing now is good coffee. What coffee are you using at present? GocoffeeGo.com is a great resource. Or perhaps a local roaster.

-Dave-

I will try out this site. I don't have any coffee at the moment. I planned on ordering my setup later today from SCG.
Jenn312

Posted Sun Jan 27, 2013, 11:04am

Coffeenoobie Said:

Espresso machines have boilers and a lot of metal in them.  They are not like replacing a plastic drip coffee pot.  It is a major purchase that requires more thought than a coffee pot.

I realize that now.
Iluvdabean
Iluvdabean
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra/Gaggia...
Grinder: Baratza Preciso/K-A Pro...
Drip: Bonavita BV 1800 TH
Roaster: Nesco 1010/Behmor 1600
Posted Sun Jan 27, 2013, 11:08am

Lets for the sake of argument say you buy one Latte from Starbucks a day for one year. Lets say their Venti Latte costs you 3.57,now lets do the
math, 3.57 ( per day cost ) times 365  (days in the year)  equals  $ 1303.05 . It was thinking like this,  coupled with a desire to make espresso drinks, that led me to move into
this whole world five or six years ago. For a family of four we were spending a lot of money at Starbucks and I always hated their over roasted coffee but in milk
found it ok.

So not knowing anything I bought Breville 860 ESXL and Kitchen Aide Grinder. Well was I in for a shocker. I spent a week trying to make real espresso.  Needless to say my Chinese made Breville was a total
piece of junk. Whats worse I had just spent 400 dollars and all I could get was pressurized portalfilter lame fake espresso. So I took it back and
the place I took it back to smiled and said,hey dont worry about it if your not happy were not happy...heres your money back...all of it.
I came back here and read and read and read. I asked a lot of questions. I bought a Gaggia Classic and an MDF grinder.

Well I was in heaven. Not because I could make good espresso right away but I had something I could work with. Its actually had a standard 1LB 58mm portafilter.
It had an OPV valve and when I looked at the marvelous portafilter screen it actually had real holes everywhere through so when i held it up to the
light I could see them....I was stoked. I then went into the standard tamp to 30 lbs and look for a 30 second extraction. Needless to say for 5 years
every single day I was making espresso double shots for lattes. Well that did two things right away it freed us from Charbucks and within a year my machines had paid for themselves.
The second thing it did is put a serious 5 year pause in my 35 year love affair with drip coffee. See I was no stranger to good coffee from all over the world
but had just been doing drip coffee. Which in and of itself is a great way to experience coffee and very unique. Yet I feel in love with this thing called espresso.
Good news is that I have recently gotten back into drip and fired up the Capresso 500 a few months back and am enjoying drip again as a path,if that makes any sense,it might not.

So to me when I hear whats the cheapest way to get into espresso I think back and the lesson i learned is there really isnt any shortcut. Its also something you have to
have a passion for because there are ups and downs along the way. For me if I am not feeling it then Im done for. Thats why I steer clear of the debates about machines
and formulas. Im not a method guy other than the tamp to 30 lbs, use fresh coffee and try to keep your extractions at 20 to 30 seconds. I try to look for those rich crema filled pulls.
I mean I might shake the portafilter after Ive filled it half way to distribute the coffee a little and tamp lightly...then go up to 3/4 full double basket and do my 30 lb tamp.
The thing I do religiously is clean my machine.

So when I think about your question, I seriously want to help you yet Im not going to say Moka Pot or cheap half hearted espresso machine that wont get you there.
People dont always want to hear this but its simply the truth. There are grinders that will work and there are those that wont. Along with the proper extraction from a machine that can
produce the right pressure and temperature water you need to feed it a properly ground fresh coffee. I mean right now at a place that sells coffee machines and has a good name you can get a
basic Gaggia and adequate grinder for 445.00.

http://www.wholelattelove.com/Gaggia/evolution_mdf.cfm

The way I look at it if you buy a $ 3.57 drink per day at Charbucks you will have spent 535.50 dollars and could have bought this basic system.
If I were you I would seriously think about it before you commit to it and check your heart as much as your pocketbook. There really arent any cheap ways to
effectively make good espresso. There are affordable ways but not really cheap ones that work. I hope this helps you a little and doesnt make it more confusing. :)

Jenn312 Said:

After shifting through dozens if threads last night, I came to the conclusion that the Aerobie is not for me. What is the cheapest bare bones espresso maker that I can taste that will make decent espresso. I plan on using the espresso to make lattes and cappuccinos if that makes a difference. I don't need the machine to have a good steaming tip because I convinced my mom to buy the house a milk frother. This will be a starter machine that only needs to last 2-3 years. I do not want to spend a lot of money on something I end up not using. If I see I am using the espresso machine regularly I will slowly upgrade my set up.

Yes I know the grinder is key but I have decided to hold off buying one until I see that I will actually stick to making my own latte in the morning instead of running out to Starbucks. If I see a commitment by me for at least 3 months then I will buy a good grinder and slowly upgrade all my equipment.

View Profile Contact via ICQ Link to this post
Jenn312

Posted Sun Jan 27, 2013, 11:08am

There are so many different moka pots are they all the same? Is there a non aluminum one?
diggi
diggi
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Spaz vivaldi S1 V2
Grinder: B Vario, OE LIDO
Drip: Chemex, Espro Press,...
Roaster: Poppery I
Posted Sun Jan 27, 2013, 11:11am

Jenn312 Said:

I wasn't hoping to be such a downer. Quite the opposite actually.  There are so many great ways to enjoy a good cup of coffee. They don't have to be expensive either. Espresso is its own beast and yes, I don't think you should bother unless you have some cash, or you'll just be disappointed. But there are so many great affordable ways to experiment with and really get the best out of your coffee. The process itself is so rewarding that its almost moot if the coffee actually tastes any better; its just a bonus that it does. brewmethods has some great options to try. You will be much happier than drinking S$ and will be saving money each time you don't buy one of their overpriced drinks. I hope you are better off for waiting, and hope I didn't send you down the wrong path for you. For me, I wish I would have explored the other areas of coffee before making the leap into espresso (including home roasting). As now I have a small fortune tied up in gear, and have felt like I havn't fully explored the cheaper methods that can be just as fun.
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vintage La Pavoni Lever...
Grinder: Breville Smartgrind,...
Vac Pot: Vintage Silex, Nicro...
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: javaPRO-CRC AIR Fluid Bed...
Posted Sun Jan 27, 2013, 11:13am

Jenn312 Said:

There are so many different moka pots are they all the same? Is there a non aluminum one?

All are basically the same except for the brikka which does not release the hot water into the grounds until a predetermined pressure level is reached in the boiler section of the pot.  Many prefer the brikka over others due to such.  And it is made of aluminum.

Len

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

Bitcoin Merchant www.CoffeeRoastersClub.com     www.javaPRO-CRC.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Jenn312

Posted Sun Jan 27, 2013, 11:23am

Iluvdabean Said:

So when I think about your question, I seriously want to help you yet Im not going to say Moka Pot or cheap half hearted espresso machine that wont get you there.
People dont always want to hear this but its simply the truth. There are grinders that will work and there are those that wont. Along with the proper extraction from a machine that can
produce the right pressure and temperature water you need to feed it a properly ground fresh coffee. I mean right now at a place that sells coffee machines and has a good name you can get a
basic Gaggia and adequate grinder for 445.00.

http://www.wholelattelove.com/Gaggia/evolution_mdf.cfm

The way I look at it if you buy a $ 3.57 drink per day at Charbucks you will have spent 535.50 dollars and could have bought this basic system.
If I were you I would seriously think about it before you commit to it and check your heart as much as your pocketbook. There really arent any cheap ways to
effectively make good espresso. There are affordable ways but not really cheap ones that work. I hope this helps you a little and doesnt make it more confusing. :)

But isn't this machine and grinder also subpar, would I still have a difficult time producing decent espresso shots? The machine itself is only $199 which is less than the Aroma which a lot of people discouraged me from .
showing page 3 of 7 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > What is the...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.508482933044)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+