Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Elektra Mini Vertical
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Elektra Mini...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
tenacioustommy

Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Wed Mar 24, 2004, 4:46pm
Subject: Elektra Mini Vertical

Helllo,

does anyone have one of these? and what our your comments

thinking of buying one

thank you

Tom

tenacioustommy: a1grande.jpeg
(Click for larger image)
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
MrHouse

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Wed Mar 24, 2004, 10:48pm
Subject: Re: Elektra Mini Vertical

Tom,

I've been studying this model for a couple months now. It's beautiful, and two other models by the Elektra company (Micro Casa Semi Automatica and Lever) are "top three" rated espresso machines.

Unfortunately, there are no reviews for the Mini Verticale. I have contacted all of the U.S. retailers on the web offering this model, but, very few of the salespeople have actually tried the machine. Giuseppe, from the Tucano company, told me over the phone that I would be happier with the Micro Casa, but, he didn't tell me why, and I had a hard time understanding him due to his accent.

Then, I received an email from Walter, at Italy Outlet, telling me the quality of espresso between the Micro Casa and Mini Verticale is the same. This is good news, because the Micro Casa was dissected thoroughly in a detailed review on the CoffeeGeek website and given a very high rating. However, Walter's exact words were: "I would say the quality is the same". That doesn't sound very definative.

All I can tell you is that the Mini Verticale has a heat exchanger and is semi-commercial.

I have asked, even begged, anyone on this website to take a look at the Mini Verticale. But, no one has demonstrated an interest. This may be because of the availability of superior machines: in the same price range, you can get the La Spaziale S1, which offers incremental temperature control (Nice!), or the Expobar Athenea (high quality, proven results, similar appearance to the Mini Verticale). Or, it may be due to the fact that the over-the-top copper/brass/rosewood appearance of the Mini Verticale prevents it from being taken seriously by espresso afficionados.

If the last scenario is correct, I will be dissapointed. After all I've been through in my personal life, I absolutely will not tolerate an espresso machine in my house that looks like some kind of medical apparatus (it's the cold steel).

Anyway, I wish you luck finding information on the Mini Verticale. At $1,650, it's just too expensive to purchase without some positive reviews or referrals.

If you do find someone who is experienced with this model, please let me know!

Mark
 View Profile Link to this post
tenacioustommy

Posted Thu Mar 25, 2004, 4:11am

MrHouse Said:

Tom,

I've been studying this model for a couple months now. It's beautiful, and two other models by the Elektra company (Micro Casa Semi Automatica and Lever) are "top three" rated espresso machines.

Unfortunately, there are no reviews for the Mini Verticale. I have contacted all of the U.S. retailers on the web offering this model, but, very few of the salespeople have actually tried the machine. Giuseppe, from the Tucano company, told me over the phone that I would be happier with the Micro Casa, but, he didn't tell me why, and I had a hard time understanding him due to his accent.

Then, I received an email from Walter, at Italy Outlet, telling me the quality of espresso between the Micro Casa and Mini Verticale is the same. This is good news, because the Micro Casa was dissected thoroughly in a detailed review on the CoffeeGeek website and given a very high rating. However, Walter's exact words were: "I would say the quality is the same". That doesn't sound very definative.

All I can tell you is that the Mini Verticale has a heat exchanger and is semi-commercial.

I have asked, even begged, anyone on this website to take a look at the Mini Verticale. But, no one has demonstrated an interest. This may be because of the availability of superior machines: in the same price range, you can get the La Spaziale S1, which offers incremental temperature control (Nice!), or the Expobar Athenea (high quality, proven results, similar appearance to the Mini Verticale). Or, it may be due to the fact that the over-the-top copper/brass/rosewood appearance of the Mini Verticale prevents it from being taken seriously by espresso afficionados.

If the last scenario is correct, I will be dissapointed. After all I've been through in my personal life, I absolutely will not tolerate an espresso machine in my house that looks like some kind of medical apparatus (it's the cold steel).

Anyway, I wish you luck finding information on the Mini Verticale. At $1,650, it's just too expensive to purchase without some positive reviews or referrals.

If you do find someone who is experienced with this model, please let me know!

Mark

Posted March 24, 2004 link

Mark,

thank you for the reply, I don't really need another machine, but, I guess you can't have to many toys, I wish the mini vertical had a rotary pump

thank you again for your help

Tom
DixieJava
DixieJava

Espresso: Elektra Mini Verticale
Grinder: Saving pennies for now!
Roaster: Saving for purchase
Posted Mon Dec 5, 2005, 9:48am

My husband also looked here and all over for facts about this machine -and found nothing. He purchased the semi-automatic machine for my birthday about a month ago - and we just love it!! This is the first espresso machine we have owned and couldn't have asked for better! We learned quickly the difference between fresh roasted/ground and not -- now we are saving to purchase the Elektra grinder - and one day our own roaster.... until then we will have to keep visiting our local roasting company.

This is simple - Turn on the 'On' button, prime the machine to fill the heating reservoir with water, then wait seconds for the light to go off (saying its ready to brew). Frothing is just as quick and simple - turn on - press the steam button - and seconds the light goes off telling you it's reached optimum pressure to froth. We are up and having the best cup of espresso fast, has never run out of steam for us, and very simple to clean.

The machine came nicely packaged, brief instructions (2 pages only) but there's really not many facts to know - more of figuring out what works best for you. Lift the brass eagle to fill the plastic resevoir with water (about 1 to 1.5 liters). The drain dish also holds enough - we drain about twice a week.

The brass tag on the machine that shows the Elektra name is a little different than all the pics/advertisements show (has some white enamel fill instead of all brass) -- it is just as beautiful if not more!
HB

Posted Mon Dec 5, 2005, 12:07pm

MrHouse Said:

Someone recently asked me about it and I followed up with Jim at 1st-line. He says it definitely is not a heat exchanger. Looking at the switch arrangement, I have no reason to doubt him (two on the left are power and pump, one on right is the steam switch).

Mark of course wrote up the "Elektra Microcasa Semi Automatica" which is a heat exchanger.

-- Dan

www.home-barista.com
1stline
1stline
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Undisclosed
Grinder: Indisclosed
Vac Pot: Bodum Electric
Drip: None
Roaster: None
Posted Mon Dec 5, 2005, 8:02pm

MrHouse Said:

Tom,

Mark

Mark,

Just to confirm, this is not a heat exchange machine (last I checked). Therefore, it operates more like a Silvia, and not like a Semiautomatica.

Sincerely,
Jim Piccinich
Business Partner
1st-line Equipment, LLC
www.1st-line.com

Follow us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/1stline
Twitter: http://twitter.com/1stline
Blog: http://1st-line.blogspot.com/
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/1stlineespresso
Pengranger

Espresso: Electra Miniverticale
Grinder: Elektra MSC
Posted Tue Dec 6, 2005, 12:03am

Hi.  I've just received my Miniverticale in Chrome.  I just love it!!  It's early days, but if I can get a great espresso from pre-ground Illy, when I get the matching Electra grinder I've ordered, it'll be better than my local coffee shop!!

At the start of this thread, Mark stated he didn't want to risk $1,650 without reviews.  I'm not sure if you have made a purchase, but you may want to take a look at a copper and brass model for 899 ($1060) www.italiankitchenaids.com
DixieJava
DixieJava

Espresso: Elektra Mini Verticale
Grinder: Saving pennies for now!
Roaster: Saving for purchase
Posted Thu Jan 5, 2006, 3:18pm

We're still learning about our Elektra that we've had for a little over a month now ..we haven't made a bad cup yet & we love all the frothing!! Heck, we just love our machine more than we ever imagined. Who knew it could be this easy and always soooo tasty :O)

Jim (at 1st line) has helped us with instructions for backflushing and de-calicifying and obtaining the necessary products.... he also instructed us what blind filter we needed to purchase to do our backflushing. We found the instructions for cleaning our group head on this website (the Elektra manual only mentions cleaning the portafilter and drain catch - guess you're suppose to already know the rest).

Until we order our grinder we were having to clean out our drain basket quiet a bit (due to the inconsistencies in our grinds - we can now tell w/ 'fresh ground' there is not much water in the drain - 'old grinds' leaves lots of water in the drain). We've actually modified the unit a bit - added a 3ft plastic tube to the drain tube - drilled a hole in the drain basket to pass the tube underneath and through the back (where the power cord exits), and now we can drain all the time without having to keep dumping out that drain basket.
KGCafe

Espresso: Rancilio Classe 6 Compact,...
Grinder: Mahlkonig automatic,...
Posted Wed Jan 23, 2013, 11:49am
Subject: Re: Elektra Mini Vertical - disappointing

This machine was bought in Dubai. When I asked about after sales service, the saleswoman said "Don't worry about that, Elektras never pack up", and anyway we have the expertise. Bought the machine, it ran well for a while. One thing that did initially disappoint was that for such a Chromed beauty (I bought the chrome version), the water tank is cheap plastic, hidden of course by the dome with Eagle atop. Anyway, after a couple of the months the espresso shots started coming out without any crema. The shop took it back, "fixed it" and gave it back to me. Same problem with lack of crema. Unfortunately by this time I'd brought the machine to India so couldn't go back to Dubai shop to complain. Anyway, sent a few emails to Elektra asking about service in India and or even at least a service manual - to no avail. Now the machine doesn't even switch on, and no reply from Elektra on anything. Won't be buying Elektra again...
stefano65
stefano65

Espresso: Vibiemme,Elektra,
Grinder: Vario,Macap,
Vac Pot: not
Drip: not
Roaster: not
Posted Wed Jan 23, 2013, 3:14pm

I fully disagree with the above statement  the miniverticale  has a lot to look at
however as mention is a single stage boiler, just above the size of a silvia boiler

the semiauto is an heating exchanger
all other comment in regards are already spoken in regards

Stefano Cremonesi
info@espressocare.com
www.espressocare.com
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Elektra Mini...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.444900989532)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+