Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Domobar Junior HX - Strange Sounds and Hissing
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Domobar Junior...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
TheProfessor

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: La Musica
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: Hario V60
Roaster: Popcorn Pumper
Posted Tue Jan 22, 2013, 7:43am
Subject: Domobar Junior HX - Strange Sounds and Hissing

As per my title, I have a Vibiemme Domobar Junior HX that I really like overall. A couple of weeks ago it started to make a really strange sound on startup. It would began heating normally, but after a few moments of heating the sound of air would begin to become strong, would gradually build more until a large, emphatic puff, and then nothing. When sitting idle now, there is a constant hissing of air, a "pssssss" kind of sound.

As this is my first HX, I am not yet as familiar with all the inner workings of the machine as I would like to be. Anyone else experience something similar with their machine/any suggestions as to how I can begin to address the issue?

Here's a video of the 'opening crescendo' of air. The noise is question begins around 40 seconds until the video ends, so just skip until there:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hawfxqBTGOw

Thanks and cheers!
 View Profile Link to this post
stefano65
stefano65
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme,Elektra,
Grinder: Vario,Macap,
Vac Pot: not
Drip: not
Roaster: not
Posted Tue Jan 22, 2013, 7:47am
Subject: Re: Domobar Junior HX - Strange Sounds and Hissing

If the hissing starts as pressure build up and eventually
although it still leaks the boiler pressure builds
Open the machine and check the anti-vacum valve

Stefano Cremonesi
info@espressocare.com
www.espressocare.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
TheProfessor

Posted Tue Jan 22, 2013, 8:30am

Do you know where I could find a diagram to show me where the anti-vaccuum valve is/what to check for? I can't seem to find one online and I did not receive the manual with the machine (I bought it second hand and it was not included).
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Tue Jan 22, 2013, 12:55pm

Just take the top of the machine off, as it warms and the steam starts to leak, ...... you will find it.

Give it a twist or two with pliers, if it is only dirt stuck in it, that more than likely will clean it out. Even just tap the stem a few times with pressure in the system and that may be enough to do the job.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
TheProfessor

Posted Wed Jan 23, 2013, 11:20am

I've easily located the stem, as you said I would, and it is in perhaps the most annoying difficult spot to reach with pliers or a wrench. I fiddled with the stem to release some steam, but that didn't seem to change the constant hissing sound. So, now to take more apart. Thanks for the help so far!
frcn
frcn

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Wed Jan 23, 2013, 11:50am

You might they the "Moron's Valve Job" *1 method. Allow the machine to heat up completely, then smack the valve's little steam a few times causing the valve to seat more dynamically. That might clear the scale that is likely causing it to stay open a bit.

A socket and extension should be able to access it easily (although that is a guess as I do not have personal experience with the Jr.). A larger problem may be that the machine could use a thorough descaling as sale in the valve could be an indication that scale exists in other areas of the machine. When you have the anti-vacuum valve out, use a strong light and look into the boiler. Also, pull the mushroom out of the group, allow it to dry, and check it for scale.

Complete steps #2, #3, then #14 and #15 HERE:
  http://www.frcndigital.com/coffee/HowToE61overhaul.html

*1 - This is an old mechanics' trick that was used on overhead valve engines. Pull the rocker then smack the valve stem with a hammer. It caused the valve to slam shut against its seat by the force of the valve spring. The goal was to clear any stuck carbon or other debris on the valve or its seat.

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Wed Jan 23, 2013, 11:51am

If you could not get it to slow down or stop by fiddling with it, it is likely that the seat in the valve has gone bad. They are very inexpensive, under five dollars if I remember right. It is just the work of changing it out that can be the hard part if located in a bad spot.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
TheProfessor

Posted Wed Jan 23, 2013, 3:07pm

I used the trick you both suggested (shooting out steam by playing with the valve). And, to my dismay, now when I turn the machine on water is running out consistently, suggesting that the valve is probably gone, I suppose. Now to find a new valve and replace it.
frcn
frcn

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Wed Jan 23, 2013, 4:13pm

TheProfessor Said:

I used the trick you both suggested (shooting out steam by playing with the valve). And, to my dismay, now when I turn the machine on water is running out consistently....

Posted January 23, 2013 link

If water is running out (and not steam) then the problem is that the boiler is overfilled for some reason.

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
SStones
SStones

Espresso: Giga 5, ECM Giotto, Rocket...
Grinder: Anfim Milano-Best
Vac Pot: No  :(
Drip: Some $30 thing from Walmart
Roaster: I buy pre-roasted.
Posted Wed Jan 23, 2013, 6:35pm

If the boiler is overfilling, you'll want to take the boiler probe out and clean it.  It will be located on top of the boiler, it will be a hexagonal fitting screwed into the boiler with an electrical connection and one wire plugged on to it.  Don't just yank the probe out of the fitting. Take the wire off trying to make sure you don't move the probe mounted through the fitting. Then unscrew the fitting out of the boiler to see the bottom "Inside" end of it.  It will probably be covered with calcium if the boiler was overfilling.  You can simply clean it off with a wire brush, sandpaper or steel-wool. Screw it back into place with a bit of teflon tape or one of the loctite thread sealants, reattach the wire and turn the machine back on.  Once it is hot enough to pressurize the boiler, open your hot-water valve to lower the water level in the boiler.  When the pump comes on, the water is below the probe.  Close the water-valve and when the pump shuts off the boiler is filled to the bottom of the probe, the correct level.
Now...  If the boiler has been over filling, I'm suspecting that your leak is actually comong out through the safety relief.  The bigger thing that looks like your anti-vacuum valve.

To locate a tiny, hissing leak on a boiler. Put a butter knife in your freezer for a half hour. Take the top off of the machine and turn your machine on.  Once the machine is hot put the cold knife tip near the boiler connections and near the valves on top.  The steam will condense visably on the cold knife, you will see it.  If it is the safety valve it might be best to replace it or have a technician replace it.  We're not supposed to suggest you try to clean and set it yourself.
That said, you can set your pressostat yourself and so long as the safety isn't leaking at all at 1.2 Bar, and your boiler pressure never exceeds 1.2 Bar, then Bob's your aunt's fiance.
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Domobar Junior...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.410289049149)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+