Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Breville Dual Boiler BES900XL Owners Thread
Italian Biscotti Cookies
Premium artisan quality Italian Biscotti cookies. Many flavors!
www.espressozone.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Breville Dual...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 143 of 252 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
dagoat

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Pavoni Europiccola, BDB...
Grinder: baratza vario
Vac Pot: aeropress
Drip: manual
Roaster: cafe rosto
Posted Fri Jan 18, 2013, 5:16pm
Subject: Re: Breville Dual Boiler BES900XL Owners Thread

OK, somebody had to to do it, and it might as well have been me, since mine is off warranty, (purchased in Nov 2011)...

There has been a lot going around amongst the more experienced BDB users about pressure loss over time, to where some folks could hardly get any brew pressure at all.  Word from the aussie forums slowly trickled down that it might have been due to a problem with the 3-way solenoid valve.  Sooo... I did a partial disassembly of my BDB today and found the 3-way valve and removed it for inspection.  Here is my report:

-Unlike a lot of commercial/italian machines, the BDB's 3-way valve is on a machined stainless base.
-which in turn, sits on a machined aluminum mating surface
-there are a couple of o-rings sitting in machined recesses in the stainless solenoid's base.  mine had a tiny encrustation of limescale.  it could easily have gone on another year.  BUT (and this is a BIG but), I have used almost exclusively RO water, so the mineral content is very low-to-near-zero, while clearly being enough for the sensors to get proper readings.  i am going to have to assume that if you do not use very low mineral content water, those little suckers can crust-up, but good.
-there has been talk that Breville is replacing the o-rings with a flat gasket.  i can see how that might work since the two mating surfaces are machined.  in fact, it's probably better that way since aluminum and stainless steel DO react with each other, (moreso in a salt environment, but still).  There was some slight reactivity that showed itself in some black deposits on the aluminum face.
-on reassembly, i put a _light_ coat of dimethyl silicone in the o-ring lands and on the faces of the mating surfaces.

based on that examination, i'm going to keep using my BDB exactly as i have been and not change a thing.  ok, i changed one thing.  i dialed back the OPV a half-turn.  i do worry that if the OPV ever needs replacing, how will we get a new one?

my conclusion, if you're using low mineral water like RO, keep using it and inspect your 3-way valve seals after a year, just for peace of mind.  if you are using tap water and pulling 3-6 shots most days, i'd be in a quandary.  i'd be almost sure the 3-way is getting crusted up...but your machine is still under warranty so i would have misgivings about taking it apart.  if you are off warranty and have not been using low mineral water, i would DEFINITELY inspect the 3-way valve.  TODAY. not tomorrow.

-peter
 View Profile Link to this post
BubbaDude
BubbaDude

Espresso: Breville Dual Boiler
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: Clever Coffee Dripper
Roaster: Hottop 2KB
Posted Fri Jan 18, 2013, 5:30pm

dagoat Said:

based on that examination, i'm going to keep using my BDB exactly as i have been and not change a thing.  ok, i changed one thing.  i dialed back the OPV a half-turn.  i do worry that if the OPV ever needs replacing, how will we get a new one?

Posted January 18, 2013 link

Thanks for doing this, Peter, it's enlightening. I use RO water too, so I won't do a tear down yet. I wouldn't worry about the OPV as there are nice brass ones for sale by various parts dealers that will certainly work. An OPV is an OPV, more or less.

"I've Scaced many HX/E61 machines, seeing shot variances of up to 8-10F or more. [The BDB] stays within 1F." - Mark Prince
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
JJC
JJC

Espresso: Breville 900Xl, Saeco...
Grinder: Compak K3
Roaster: Behmor, Nesco
Posted Fri Jan 18, 2013, 6:17pm

Ben,

On the E61 portafilter adaptation I'd be pretty careful.
The lugs actually seat in a thin piece of plastic that is supported by metal.
Any roughness, poor fit on the lugs could damage the plastic.

jim
BubbaDude
BubbaDude

Posted Fri Jan 18, 2013, 6:30pm

JJC Said:

Ben,

On the E61 portafilter adaptation I'd be pretty careful.
The lugs actually seat in a thin piece of plastic that is supported by metal.
Any roughness, poor fit on the lugs could damage the plastic.

jim

The Breville PFs are also nice, safe, shiny stainless steel, not plated brass.

"I've Scaced many HX/E61 machines, seeing shot variances of up to 8-10F or more. [The BDB] stays within 1F." - Mark Prince
benpiff
benpiff
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: RocketR58,GrimacMini,Elli
Grinder: LSM FK Conical, Vario
Roaster: Sonofresco 1lb, Behmor
Posted Sun Jan 20, 2013, 11:53am

Hey thanks guys, I really appreciate that reply. By the way, what size Torx is used to take the back panel off? I'd rather not take the machine with me to the hardware store :)

I always like to film the first attempts with a machine, as I think this is one of the greatest testaments to a machine's abilities. My espressoparts 21G basket fits beautifully, but I did have to back the grind down a bit after the first choke. Seriously, I've had a lot of amazing coffee from this baby. Roasts that I had really given up on are now blowing my mind. Restraining my use of exclamation points, because I've already had too much today.

Here's the second shot (watch in HD):
http://youtu.be/CrLsuatqVu4

And here's the third, I much prefer the angle I can get with this single spout even though the factory double is nicely made:
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-vxkARg8uINc/UPw-ZpP-Kf I/AAAAAAAAVc8/WoAL8JqYk8Y/s640/photo%2520%252838%2529.jpg
click here

www.oldparkedcars.com
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
Park_Ridge_Dave
Park_Ridge_Dave

Espresso: BES900XL
Grinder: Baratza Vario (NOT...
Vac Pot: N/A (French Press)
Drip: Technivorm MochaMaster
Roaster: None
Posted Sun Jan 20, 2013, 12:45pm

benpiff Said:

Here's the second shot (watch in HD):
http://youtu.be/CrLsuatqVu4

Posted January 20, 2013 link

So How was it? It looked pretty good to me :D

Dave

Don't forget to stop and smell the coffee...... er flowers!
wjordan

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Breville BEX900XL
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso Precise
Roaster: Local - Hasbeans, London, ON
Posted Sun Jan 20, 2013, 1:20pm

Contrabass_Bry Said:

Wayne,

This should clarify things for you:
(http://youtu.be/4U6J2JJH9gA)click here(x)

Thanks!

Any similar videos showing the chemical and clear water procedures on our BDB? I saw one once before where the guy from Breville was wiggling the PF, but didn't see anything like that in the video above. Wondering why he does the wiggle, and why not just keep the PF engaged while running a clean water cycle.

I ran the BDB 'Clean Me' cycle last week, but after watching the post above I'm wondering where the 'dirty' water goes on the BDB clean me routine.

Wayne
BubbaDude
BubbaDude

Posted Mon Jan 21, 2013, 12:36am

wjordan Said:

Thanks!

Any similar videos showing the chemical and clear water procedures on our BDB? I saw one once before where the guy from Breville was wiggling the PF, but didn't see anything like that in the video above. Wondering why he does the wiggle, and why not just keep the PF engaged while running a clean water cycle.

I ran the BDB 'Clean Me' cycle last week, but after watching the post above I'm wondering where the 'dirty' water goes on the BDB clean me routine.

Wayne

It goes through the OPV three way solenoid to the drip tray.

Contrabass_Bry
Contrabass_Bry

Espresso: Breville BES900XL
Grinder: OE Pharos
Posted Mon Jan 21, 2013, 9:11am

wjordan Said:

Thanks!

Wayne

Wayne,

The purpose of the "wiggle" is for an exterior cleaning around the grouphead. Having water running while loosely engaging/disengaging the PF will shoot water out between the PF and the gasket (and maybe loosen some leftover grinds from the shower screen).

The backflush is for the internals. As Bubbadude stated, it vents into the drip tray (just like in the Seattle Coffee Gear video using the Rocket.)

Here is the "wiggle" on the BDB: click here

Here is the chemical backflush on the BDB: click here
BubbaDude
BubbaDude

Posted Mon Jan 21, 2013, 1:27pm

benpiff Said:

Hey thanks guys, I really appreciate that reply. By the way, what size Torx is used to take the back panel off? I'd rather not take the machine with me to the hardware store :)

The T-20 bit is the one to use.

showing page 143 of 252 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Breville Dual...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.505499124527)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+